Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What should be done with Demetric Evans?

Going Commando

So far, I've seen a lot of the sentiment that Evans should get a new deal. He is 29, and might have been the team's best defensive end last year. The problem is, he wants to start and knows that this is probably the only chance to get a nice contract and a starting spot he'll have in his career.

Should the Redskins cut Jason Taylor, and then resign Evans and promise him the starting spot opposite Carter? Or should they let him go elsewhere and keep Taylor?

Personally, I'd prefer letting Taylor go and keeping Evans on the condition that the team also acquires a spectacular passrusher in the draft to use on passing downs when Evans slides inside to tackle.

He is a good player and a good dude. If the Redskins don't give him a shot to start, I think he would be smart go elsewhere.

He is a good player and a good dude. If the Redskins don't give him a shot to start, I think he would be smart go elsewhere.

Wish him well and let him go. The Skins obviously have him pegged as a career backup or they would have been more concerned about getting him re-signed a year ago.

Wish him well and let him go. The Skins obviously have him pegged as a career backup or they would have been more concerned about getting him re-signed a year ago.

He didn't even start a year ago, it was all Philip on LE who had a pretty good year. He's proven now he can be a starter, and I really hope that we can resign him to a reasonable deal.

Get rid of Taylor, keep Evans with Carter, Wilson, and Jackson. That's a stable of DEs we could get by with for another year as we address our problems at OT and DT. You let Evans and possibly Taylor go, and we're scrambling again to find a starter at LE.

He didn't even start a year ago, it was all Philip on LE who had a pretty good year. He's proven now he can be a starter, and I really hope that we can resign him to a reasonable deal.

Get rid of Taylor, keep Evans with Carter, Wilson, and Jackson. That's a stable of DEs we could get by with for another year as we address our problems at OT and DT. You let Evans and possibly Taylor go, and we're scrambling again to find a starter at LE.

Erasmus James is also in that mix somewhere. Your suggestion makes sense, but it would require Evans to test the market and not find a spot anywhere else to start so that the team could resign him to a modest rotation contract. I assume he isn't expected to be a long term starter for the team and they won't pay him as such.

Do you think that the team could get by using primarily a rotation between Evans and Wilson/Jackson? They didn't think so last offseason and hence the unfortunate trade for Taylor.

Erasmus James is also in that mix somewhere. Your suggestion makes sense, but it would require Evans to test the market and not find a spot anywhere else to start so that the team could resign him to a modest rotation contract. I assume he isn't expected to be a long term starter for the team and they won't pay him as such.

Do you think that the team could get by using primarily a rotation between Evans and Wilson/Jackson? They didn't think so last offseason and hence the unfortunate trade for Taylor.

We released Erasmus James during the season so he's gone. I think the primary reason we traded for Taylor was because at the time, we had no idea what we had in Evans and really thought he was on the same level as Wilson and Jackson.

What we did learn is that he's basically a young Philip Daniels and is exactly the type of LE we need in our scheme. I didn't mean he'd be a rotating player when I referred to Wilson and Jackson though. Bring in Wilson or Jackson on third down on the left, and slide Evans inside (which he can do). Other than that, Evans would be our starter. If anything, just sign him to a decent deal and see how he does this year. If his performance tails off, then we're in the market for a DE (possibly 2, depending on how Carter is after '09) in the 2010 offseason. But if anything, bringing back Evans takes off a glaring hole we have to address this offseason.

IMHO just not worth what he could potentially ask for. Anything from 1.5 - 4 million a year would be too much. That was his contract year and he got a LOT of playing time with JT injured and he threw down 4 sacks. Also no Phillip Daniels to compete with. If he did that in HIS contract year.. idk that's usually what it comes down to with some guys

I think he has a good motor and work ethic. My problem is, seems like if he was beat out in the preseason for that starting job he might be upset and thus be a distraction. Granted he's not a marquee name so it wouldn't be a huge distraction, but essentially you'd have a guy out there who again thinks he's been passed over as a starter. Still he's still young and somewhat durable. Don't break the bank, but why not give him a two year deal?

I stated this in the other thread about Evans. I think they should make an effort to re-sign him, but not overpay, and not promise anything beyond a fair chance to win a starting spot.

He started over Jason Taylor quite a bit last season, so I suspect that it's not the idea of starting he seeks, but the contract that goes along with it. Can't say that I blame him! The Redskins need to keep a serious eye on their cap and can't afford to overpay for a player that is probably more of a quality backup than a legitimate full time starting end.

I say they re-sign him, but only at a fair market price for what he is. If another team offers him the world, then you have to let him walk. This might play out similar to the Rock situation last year.

Pretty much my sentiments.

Evans, or rather his new agent, have suddenly gotten an opinion of theirselves that belies his actual ability.

Thank you for all the hard work and commitment to the cause Demetric, but it's time to move on. Good luck getting the money and position you seek elsewhere. (Oh, and take JT with you. We'll keep Phill Daniels around for another year or so as were lacking picks.).

Hail.

I think Evans SHOULD start this year. I think we should sign him to a 3 year contract.

I would beef up the DT spot this year, and next. This year, he would start opposite Carter. I think if the interior DL can generate more pressure, Carter and Evans could combine for 20+ sacks...seriously.

I would like to get a guy like Tyson Jackson or Robert Ayers if we can trade down to play back up and come in rotation to get some time this year.

The following year, there would be an open competition between Evans and Jackson or Ayers. I would also draft another DE, more pass rush type to eventually replace Carter. I would also look again to DT in the draft and/or FA.

In a couple of years, we have solidified both DE spots and the interior DL. It can't happen all at once, but its a work in progress. The DL is usually a spot that takes time for players to develop, so keeping some veterans is important during the transition.

I'd let him compete for a starting spot at a modest incentive laden contract. No one deserves to be handed a starting spot if someone else can beat them out, especially not a career backup. I think Evans has always played well in his limited roles and would love to see him earn the starting spot. That being said I'm not prepared to throw a bunch of money at a guy that is limited athletically.

If another team is willing to give him true starter money, congrats to him and I wish him well.

I'd let him compete for a starting spot at a modest incentive laden contract. No one deserves to be handed a starting spot if someone else can beat them out, especially not a career backup. I think Evans has always played well in his limited roles and would love to see him earn the starting spot. That being said I'm not prepared to throw a bunch of money at a guy that is limited athletically.

If another team is willing to give him true starter money, congrats to him and I wish him well.

I think a lot of people are taking his statement out of context. In no way does it seem that Evans is looking to start any where and for big starter money. I think he means he deserves to start HERE. And why not? I don't think he expects a big contract either.

I like Evans but he's not going to get alot of attention in the FA market. I say test the market and sign him later when he'll be more desperate for a contract. He's a solid backup, but we need a stud DE. We thought JT was the answer, but we have the oppurtunity to aquire 1 in the draft(Orakpo). I would like to re-sign Evans to a minimal contract.

I like Evans. But as a run stopper that gets 3 sacks a year his opportunities to go into FA and secure a starting job without competition are close to nil.

Demetric is a rotation/platoon DE, that's what he has shown over the first 7 years of his career.

In some ways he is similar to Kedrick Golston, another hard worker and overachiever who is valuable in that swing role but not as a 16 game starter.

Archived