Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vinny Cerrato about to Speak on the Locker Room

#98QBKiller

Thanks Sawyer 5500, appreciate it.

I'm excited about Devin and Kelly, wish he said something similar about Davis. I actually expect Jason Taylor to be back for less money and be very productive (healthy) because last year's injury was a freak injury and an aberration. Info about Rinehart sounds good. I think we have decent depth on the o-line especially if we get younger players to start (less likely to get injured too) and keep some of the vets to back em up.

RECAP:

-Vinny says he gets fired up for the combine. He specifically looks for the juniors because he hasn't seen a lot of them.

-Each drill showcases a different type of skill. All drills are worthwhile.

-He talks about functional speed/strength. 4.6 is fast enough. If you run a 4.3 at the combine but run 4.8 on the field, you aren't good enough. Used Chris Horton as an example, its what you look like on tape, not at the combine. Horton was slow at the combine but runs faster on the field.

-Compared to last year, there isn't as much depth in this years draft. Middle of the draft isn't as deep as last year. He said last year 2nd round picks could still net you very good players, this year there isn't as much depth in the middle rounds.

Q: What did you learn about last year's draft picks?

A: We thought our draft picks are what they were. The potential is there. Kelly being hurt really set him back. He was performing better than we thought. He was going to come along quicker. All draft picks made great strides last year.

Vinny said he is putting the pressure on the draft picks, you better have a great off-season. They are all there working hard. Devin Thomas is working with Santana Moss in Miami. They are going to be a lot better next year, they are all working hard.

Q: People where very critical of last years draft. how did it affect you? How did you feel about it?

A: We were developing depth, they will eventually be starters. Vinny said hes patient, most rookies have a timetable to development. Missing training camp really hurts them for that year. o-linemen generally aren't ready fast. We have 10 picks and people criticize us we don't have enough depth. thats what we were doing, building depth.

-Asked about Rhinehart, he said Randy Thomas and Pete Kendall never got hurt. Rhinehart really came on at the end of the year in practice. He practiced the whole year on the scout team which means he was never really involved in our plays. Hes not as ready as to play because they didnt get any reps in our offense. Big year coming up for him and Devin Clark. We are developing them.

-Doc said that the mock drafts have the Redskins selecting Brian Orakpo, Do you like him?

Cerrato: It is a position of need. Mocks look at a teams needs and fill them. We are looking o-line, d-line, and linebacker. Those are the critical areas and we have to develop more in those areas.

-Asked about the BPA selection method: Cerrato said ideally you need a great player to fall to your pick at a position you need thats ideal. He said don't worry we'll get an outstanding player at 13. We will narrow it down to 3 to 4 guys to pick if they are available.

-Cerrato was asked if its harder to trade back from 13 because of the cost associated with that contract. Cerrato said: Its supply and demand, depends whos there. If a team wants him, they will come get him. The amount of trades depend on the talent level of the draft.

-Cerrato was asked about Griffin and Daniels health. Cerrato said, Daniels is rehabbing, and will be a free agent. He still has a ways to go. Griffin had shoulder surgery, and is doing very well. Demetric Evans is a FA and we'll see how it plays out.

He then mentioned that Golston had an ankle, Montgomery had a knee scope and everyone will be ready for minicamp.

-Cerrato was asked where are we with the salary cap and how much are the Redskins over the cap? Cerrato dodged the question by saying we are restructuring and will get under the cap by next week.

-Cerrato was asked about Jason Taylor's future. Cerrato sort of dodged it by saying hes under contract and yes we expect him to be on the roster next year. (He sounded to me like, "Yeah why would you even ask me a question like that?")

-Cerrato was asked about DeAngelo Hall and whether he would be on the team next year. Cerrato said we are going to meet with his agent, and we'll see what we can work out there.

There ya go guys.

Excellent, thanks Sawyer5G :notworthy

Thanks Sawyer for the detailed recap. Overall, I liked what I read. I hope Kelly and Thomas come on strong this season, and the same for Davis. I really hope this will be a good young core of skill position players that we'll have for years to come. Rinehart is another one I'm hopeful for, its of tremendous importance that he becomes a valuable asset to this team, considering our o-line issues. If Rine can breakout this coming season, along with getting a solid starting O-line (or 2) in the draft that will do wonders for our line.

I think JT restructures his contract and maybe takes over for washington at OLB or at least on passing downs. I think washinton may be a cap casualty. What do you think?

Sounds feasible. If Washington is a cap casualty then I think having Taylor at LBer and grooming a rookie to take over for him would be a good solution. If we re-signed Evans he could start at LE as he wants to do would be fine, you could slide JT in there on passing downs and have Baldes or the rookie playing the OLB spot. If we got a young DT in the draft to bolster the pass rush as well the D could really create some turnovers. I think in this draft, going off of what Vinnys has said here, that we will get an OL, DL, and LBer in the draft, probably one of those in FA though. Interesting stuff though. There's a lot of directions this team could go in this offseason.

I think JT restructures his contract and maybe takes over for washington at OLB or at least on passing downs. I think washinton may be a cap casualty. What do you think?

He might be able to play OLD on run downs (with Evans) as DE, and then move Taylor to DE on Passing downs with Evans moving inside?

I didn't pay much attention to him with the Phins - Can he cover at all?

It is darn good to know that Thomas is working out with Tana. #89 is a pro who knows what you need to do to be an NFL receiver.

So it's good to hear.

If all you did was read Jason La Canfora you'd think Devin Thomas was spending his whole offseason goofing off and acting like a jerk to reporters.

I liked what I hear from Vinny personally. He knows our areas of need which are OL, LB, DL(DT). I really hope Rinehart steps up and gets starting position. Hopefully we can cut some dead weight and get under the cap. Then we could acquire young studs in the draft for DT, LB and OL. We should get 2 OL, 1, LB, and 1 DT.

I hope there is some young solid material in the Free Agency as well. I can't wait for the next couple of days.

If all you did was read Jason La Canfora you'd think Devin Thomas was spending his whole offseason goofing off and acting like a jerk to reporters.

Why read JLC at all? It's rarely news, just personal bitterness that, for some reason, the Post puts on its website.

It is darn good to know that Thomas is working out with Tana. #89 is a pro who knows what you need to do to be an NFL receiver.

So it's good to hear.

I think its great to hear that Kelly is already at the park training. On the other hand I am definitely not as encouraged as most of you with hearing that Thomas is going to be working out with Santana. Your a rookie that already has a bad reputation when it comes to work habits so don't say your gonna do something, just do it. Supposedly Thomas and Kelly are boys so why the hell is he not at the park with Kelly right now. Probaly out trying to be the rock star that he thinks he is. Don't forget that Tana and JC were supposed to link up last offseason to work on chemistry, never happened.

I pray that Kelly's knee will hold up because I think he can be a bonified stud in this league. Thomas needs a total change of attitude and I don't want to hear about how he is trying to get better until he starts doing it.

That is great great news to hear about Kelly and Thomas. I think they're going to turn alot of heads in the next couple of years, and they're already on the right path since they're putting their noses to the grindstone this early in the offseason. :)

I heard the interview on the radio yesterday. It was pretty interesting, and I was pleased that Vinny sees the teams needs much the same way most people do. I thought he answered the question about last season's draft picks quite well.

He was very tight-lipped about players in question (Taylor, Hall, etc...), so you had to kind of read between the lines on some of his responses.

Vinny can't answer the question about how far this team is over the cap because he's a friggin' idiot and he doesn't know!!!

Those pauses about Taylor and Hall were telling. He probably had Snyder in the room with him, like when they were making prank calls to the school in Ferris Bueller's Day Off. (Vinny: You take the phone! Danny: Nonsense! You're doing great!!)

We should let a wild chimp run this team, and we will get better results.

Archived