Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Snyder Dusts Off 200,000 Name Waiting List Claim

Horatio

It's Snyder's fault for a fickle fan base who sells their tickets to the enemy at the drop of a hat.

Since these are some of the more expensive seats in the league, anyone that paid for them has every right to try to recoup some of that cost by selling the unused ones to the highest bidder.

If the team was anything more than mediocre, the highest bidder might even turn out to be a Skins fan.

Every time they say they aren't raising ticket prices my dad, who pays the bill, says it's a load of crap. Maybe it will be true this year since we dropped the club seats last season.

I'm thinking not only do those 25,000 seats not count towards sell-outs, they also get excluded from the "not raising our prices" promise. Though I imagine they are going to get a lot cheaper if they continue to go empty.

Your comparing apples and oranges. The GA seats had no price increase and haven't for several years. Club seats, however, are sold on a contractual basis and all of those contracts contain clear 2-3 percent increases for each year of the contract. But those seats, about 15,000, are NOT included in the sellout computation. Only GA seats are....just like in every other stadium in the NFL.

Anytime “Dan Snyder” and “won’t raise prices” can be used on the same page, it’s news.

I guess that I just imagined the price increase on the invoice for the Tailgate Club. Guess that's not included in the "Great News" from Baghdad Mitch about them not raising prices.

"Since 1999, the team has increased general admission ticket prices only twice (2000 and 2006), a rarity among U.S. sports franchises. General admission tickets currently range in price from $29 to $99. The team’s season tickets have been sold out since 1966."

Yes...but in 1996 the increase was almost 40%....a RARITY among US sports franchises. Hey Danny :finger:

It's Snyder's fault for a fickle fan base who sells their tickets to the enemy at the drop of a hat.

A Fickle fan base that spends so much on a team that it makes it the most valuable franchise in the NFL, even though the team hasnt won a division title in 10 years or a Superbowl in 17 years.

Seems someone is spending money on the team - couldnt be the fickle fan base.

I got my tickets 3 years ago, was on the wait list for 6 or 7 years? I thought I heard that when resigned Gibbs the number of people on the list went up a lot. This does not mean those people that put their name on the list will buy tickets or how many names are duplicate. I wonder how many offers do they have to put out to fill one seat 2 seats.

Who cares? However, sold-out refers to the 65,000 GA seats, NOT premium seating or suites. ...
Not to nitpick, but I think we are closer to 75,000 GA seats now. It was around 63,000 in 1997, and the team has since added about 13,000 seats.
We've sucked for 15 years and have a gigantic stadium, of course the fan base is fickle.
17 years if we define "suck" as incapable of winning a divisional playoff game. There's only one other team in the NFC that can say the same: The Detroit Lions.
... Club seats, however, are sold on a contractual basis and all of those contracts contain clear 2-3 percent increases for each year of the contract.
Yes. But actually, I believe it's a 6% increase for a five year term. It's 3% for a 10 year term. That's my understanding.

Yes...but in 1996 the increase was almost 40%....a RARITY among US sports franchises. Hey Danny :finger:

Dan Snyder wasn't the owner until 1999...
I believe he meant 2006, not 1996. The LL prices were increased almost 40% in 2006. They went from $79 each in 2005 to $108.90 each in 2006.

I guess that I just imagined the price increase on the invoice for the Tailgate Club.

To be fair, the TGC is premium seating and your actual game ticket is still provided at general admission price which has not gone up in three years.

It is pretty weak that Danny is now pinching his current members for an extra $5 per game next year. I doubt the buffet will taste five dollars better.

One would think the Tailgate Club has to be about tapped out for new members with the huge initiation fees and a $60 tax per game in this economy.

So now Danny will just stick it to the existing members knowing they'll be reluctant to let the seats go after forking over those huge rights fees.

Snyder has done a great job marketing mediocrity.

He's just lucky that George Allen and Joe Gibbs worked to develop a strong identification with the team in the city, or like the Nationals he would be saddled with luxury seats that end up being occupied by ushers and security guards.

Does stubhub give the Skins a cut when they re-sell tickets?

No. The team gets its money from the marketing fee Stubhub pays to be the "official" partner, as opposed to Ticketmaster or some other entity.

So, the team certainly gets money from Stubhub, but not a share of each ticket sold. This was all covered in Sports Business Journal a year or so ago when teams starting doing these deals.

StubHub has only 6 NFL partners out of the 32 teams: Bears, Texans, Bengals, Buccaneers, Falcons and, of course, The Redskins.

Right. And the rest of the NFL teams either have similar agreements with Ticketmaster or do their own ticket re-sales (Patriots for one) with the team getting the cut that would otherwise go to the outside firm. Also covered in Sports Business Journal a year or so ago.

Not to nitpick, but I think we are closer to 75,000 GA seats now. It was around 63,000 in 1997, and the team has since added about 13,000 seats.

QUOTE]

per the Redskins media guide (available on line), there are 33,003 upper level GA seats and 33,404 lower level GA seats.

The rest are premium or suites: Loge = 2,542; Suites = 5,084; Club = 15,736; Owner's Club = 450; Field Club = 1,485.

That's 66,407 GA seats. The rest are "premium" and exempt from revenue sharing.

I signed up for season tickets about 7 years ago, and have literally never gotten one phone call offering even "club" level seating.

Forunatley, I have a friend who's father gives away his tickets very often, so I go most home games (for about the last 3 years). I personally, rather watch the game at my house. Not because I don't enjoy the game, and being around all of the Redskins faithful, but for the sheer fact everytime I seem to go they lose. Besides this year I had only been to one game where they won. Either I'm bad luck or there just lousey at home (prob a bit a both). Point is I don't think if I ever DO get that call I don't believe I will be interested eventhough financially I could swing it more than likely

There is a difference between GA and club seats and suites. My name came up this year after 7 years on the waiting list. They've been offering me club seats most of that time, just about every offseason. So yeah, there's no waiting list for club seats but try and call them up right now and get GA season tickets. It's still a wait of several years at least.

QUOTE]

per the Redskins media guide (available on line), there are 33,003 upper level GA seats and 33,404 lower level GA seats.

The rest are premium or suites: Loge = 2,542; Suites = 5,084; Club = 15,736; Owner's Club = 450; Field Club = 1,485.

That's 66,407 GA seats. The rest are "premium" and exempt from revenue sharing.

Thanks for the figures.....very interesting. A lot of people complain about how our stadium is "too damn big," but the number of GA seats doesn't seem to be that much more than other stadiums around the league. And the fans of opposing teams who show up at the stadium are spread throughout the stadium, and just not on the premium levels. So it again just reinforces we have a soft STH base.

I wonder where the Tailgate/TD Club and Dream Seats fall in on the above numbers. I guess maybe they're considered the field club.

Sometimes I even wonder if all the GA seats are sold every game, or does Snyder categorize even so many of those as premium as Tailgate/TD seats, even if they're not sold. Either way, it seems like he's been pretty creative in getting around the blackout rule.

Archived