Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Snyder Dusts Off 200,000 Name Waiting List Claim

Horatio

Didn't see this posted before after running a search:

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/2009/01/16/dan-snyder-dusts-off-the-200000-name-waiting-list/

Posted by Dave McKenna on Jan. 16, 2009, at 3:38 pm

The Redskins made a bit of news this week by announcing they won’t raise ticket prices for next season.

Anytime “Dan Snyder” and “won’t raise prices” can be used on the same page, it’s news.

But in making the announcement, Skins management again boasted about the size of the fan base.

Mitch Gershman, the team’s chief operating officer, was quoted thusly in the press release: “We have fantastic fan support as evidenced by the more than 200,000 people on our waiting list for season tickets.”

Mitch, Mitch, Mitch.

After the debacle of the “Monday Night Football” tilt with the Pittsburgh Steelers, in which a national television audience saw a stadium that looked at least half-full of fans rooting for the visiting team and waving Terrible Towels, and the debacle of the Skins’ final home game of the season against Philly, where fans went to Snyder’s own message board to complain about not even being able to give away tickets, you still have the stones to throw out that “200,000 people on our waiting list” claim?

Not even readers of your team’s own blog want to read that.

Mitch, Mitch, Mitch.

The press release also said “The team’s season tickets have been sold out since 1966.”

That’s a hilariously false claim, given that anybody who calls the ticket office even today will begin to get hounded by salespeople trying to unload the massive number of high-dollar, and so-called “premium seats” at FedExField that are now unsold.

The emptiness of the club level is the cause of so much yellow showing up on your TV screen during broadcasts of a Redskins home game.

But, apparently, there some folks who still believe there’s a waiting list for Redskins tickets.

As one 2007 premium ticket buyer by the name of “Slug,” who said he’s still obligated for several more years of club seat payments, commented on the Redskins blog after admitting he fell for the waiting-list sales pitch: “Paint me a sucker.”

Who cares? However, sold-out refers to the 65,000 GA seats, NOT premium seating or suites. The GA seats are the only ones counted for NFL revenue sharing purposes and the only one sold on a seasonal basis. All the others are sold on contracts of varying lengths.

Call it a marketing list, call it a season ticket waiting list, or call it George. As has been pointed out here on numerous occasions, people put their names on it numerous times and in numerous ways. Until the team starts charging a fee to be on the list - like many teams do - I doubt it will be maintained and scrubbed for duplicate names, people who have left the area, people no longer interested, or even people no longer alive.

I think this article is confusing issues. The club level is considered seperate from the rest of the stadium...there is no wait for the club level...but there is some sort of wait for the rest of the stadium. I doubt that even half the 200K on that wait list will buy tickets if given the chance but there is some sort of waitlist. I waited about 20 years to get tickets and finally fgot them in 2004...I don't think the wait is anywhere near that now though.

I waited about 20 years to get tickets and finally fgot them in 2004...I don't think the wait is anywhere near that now though.

No offense man, but somehow they lost your place in line. The average wait time was 5-7 years for a long time, now its down at around 2-3.

Call it a marketing list, call it a season ticket waiting list, or call it George. As has been pointed out here on numerous occasions, people put their names on it numerous times and in numerous ways. Until the team starts charging a fee to be on the list - like many teams do - I doubt it will be maintained and scrubbed for duplicate names, people who have left the area, people no longer interested, or even people no longer alive.

I don't even want to be around if that happens because the storm of Anti-Snyder bashing will be unreal.

aah, the great City Paper and their anti-Redskins, anti-capitalism, no sports knowledge whatsoever slants....still better writing than JLC though.

Any bad news about the team is BS! Right homer?

There is nothing any-capitalism about exposing a claim that rings hollow about the state of the franchise. This last year saw some absolutely humiliating moments for the stadium. Pretending that people are banging the doors down to get in is nonsense right now.

having said that the solution is simple: win.

There is nothing any-capitalism about exposing a claim that rings hollow about the state of the franchise. This last year saw some absolutely humiliating moments for the stadium. Pretending that people are banging the doors down to get in is nonsense right now.

nah, not ANY bad news, just stuff from CityPaper. They (like JLC) have a known gripe with Danny and will waste space in their paper to let their readers know about it.

But its cool if you believe everything you read. I was once impressionable like that too.

So, is a printing company exaggerating on farce propaganda.

nah, not ANY bad news, just stuff from CityPaper. They (like JLC) have a known gripe with Danny and will waste space in their paper to let their readers know about it.

But its cool if you believe everything you read. I was once impressionable like that too.

This organization is a mess my friend. Kudos to those who write truthfully about the catastrophe that is the Washington Redskins.

So any bad news that doesn't come from the team itself. Which is like believing the chinese government about the state of human rights in china.

So... what are you saying? That we actually do have 200,000 people on the waiting list for season tickets?

I dont know how long the waiting list is, but I know the hatred this paper has for Dan Snyder. So it wouldn't surprise me to see the posting an uninformative article such as this one....notice how it tries to lay doubt into how long the season ticket waiting list is, but doesn't give a figure for how long it is (bad article)....notice how they don't make any difference between club seats, premium seats and whatever other type of seats there are (bad article).....all they did is say that because there were games where fans didn't show up, the season ticket waiting list can't be 200,000 (bad article)......

Sorry, but when a paper is that willing to put out a bad article just to try to say something negative about the Redskins or Dan Snyder, I'm not gonna have a problem pointing it out and especially when they have a history of putting out articles like this trying to talk to their base of anti-Snyder, anti-Redskins, and anti-football people.

This organization is a mess my friend.

I'll accept your opinion to say that because I don't doubt how much you follow the team as a Redskins fan. I do doubt the amount that the writers at Citypaper follow this team. They do nothing put post negative articles about the Redskins, and not about the football decisions.

So any bad news that doesn't come from the team itself. Which is like believing the chinese government about the state of human rights in china.

Nah, what you're doing is going to a sworn enemy of the Redskins to get an opinion on the Redskins. I perfer coming here (extremeskins) for info on the Redskins, or going places where I can get both sides of the story (like reading WP and Redskins.com). CityPaper has a known bias against the Redskins and that takes the objectivity out of being a journalist and turns it into a badly written editorial.

Every time they say they aren't raising ticket prices my dad, who pays the bill, says it's a load of crap. Maybe it will be true this year since we dropped the club seats last season. Speaking of those, they actually offered them at half price right before the season started but we were already committed by then. We can see our old club seats from the upper deck and made a note of their emptiness at every game we attended.

It should also be noted that they had no problem finding us two extra seats in the same section as our original upper decks that we had been selling to family. There are seats all over the place if you are prepared to pay for them.

I'm thinking not only do those 25,000 seats not count towards sell-outs, they also get excluded from the "not raising our prices" promise. Though I imagine they are going to get a lot cheaper if they continue to go empty.

:applause::applause::applause::applause:

Archived