Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

16 illegals sue Arizona rancher

China

This whole story is mindboggling. If this information in the article is correct, there's no way a jury's going to convict this guy for defending his ranch and family. It's a shame he is having to even pay for a legal defense for this. Furthermore, some of these illegals should be grateful they are alive after breaking into his house and/or killing his cattle...I'd say he's showed considerable restraint in that manner.

I'm sorry but everyone in that state is retarded for doing so. They deserve to be broke and if it were up to me, would get 0 help until they take their liberal heads out of their conservative asses.

If Californians want their cake and will eat it too, they need to fix their own mess. Raise state taxes to 50% if you must.

Deporting criminals so they can reenter and start their criminal activity all over again is ludicrous at best.

Lol, yeah, because the problem is just that simplistic. Give me a friggin break.

Haven't seen anybody claim they were destroying his property.
16 illegals sue Arizona rancher

Mr. Barnett told The Washington Times in a 2002 interview that he began rounding up illegal immigrants after they started to vandalize his property, northeast of Douglas along Arizona Highway 80. He said the immigrants tore up water pumps, killed calves, destroyed fences and gates, stole trucks and broke into his home.

shouldn't you be an American, or at least living in America to be able to sue an American ?

besides the obvious injustices mentioned in the thread, i also find it ridiculous that they can sue one of us, for anything

Nope.

(You should, however, at least have a case.)

I'm confused here. I think the Times slipped up a bit here...

On Maldef's site they have this: http://www.maldef.org/news/press.cfm?ID=474

The charges are that this was on "state leased land" and that He was already found guilty and had to award $100,000 to the family. Way to leave out that detail, Times.

Now, if this guy was a vigilante that was tracking down illegals that were NOT on his property, then he's in the wrong. If he was simply holding people at gunpoint for the border patrol in his own property, I'd have no problem with it, he should be able to defend his property. But we actually know very little about this case.

There are actually 2 different cases. The one where he detained/assualted the US citizens on state leased land, and ....

"MALDEF also represents 16 individuals who complained they were assaulted in a similar fashion by Barnett in March 2004 near a state highway in Douglas, Arizona. The case is currently pending in federal court and expected to go to trial in the Spring of 2009."

To clear up some words people are using...this guy isn't "convicted" of any crime. These are civil lawsuits only, not criminal trials.

I love how the article says, "16 individuals" and not 16 Illegal immigrants"

No. I will not give you a break. I'm done with giving people "breaks".

Fix yo ****.

Alrighty then. Instead of asking for a break, I should have said "get real and stop making ignorantly simplistic posts about the issue since you've proven that you clearly don't understand the issue if you honestly think it's that simplistic." There, that's better.

What are you? Some kind of rodeo clown?

Rape? Murder? How stupid does your argument have to be before you have to start making up things to sound like you have a point?

I dunno. You tell me.

No one notices the link to the argument for gitmo detainees?

The mexicans here are claiming the same thing as those who argue that the detainees should be afforded the same rights as american citizens.

:)

No, it isn't.
Roger Barnett, 64, began rounding up illegal immigrants in 1998 and turning them over to the U.S. Border Patrol, he said, after they destroyed his property, killed his calves and broke into his home.

Mr. Barnett told The Washington Times in a 2002 interview that he began rounding up illegal immigrants after they started to vandalize his property, northeast of Douglas along Arizona Highway 80. He said the immigrants tore up water pumps, killed calves, destroyed fences and gates, stole trucks and broke into his home.

This whole story is mindboggling. If this information in the article is correct, there's no way a jury's going to convict this guy for defending his ranch and family. It's a shame he is having to even pay for a legal defense for this. Furthermore, some of these illegals should be grateful they are alive after breaking into his house and/or killing his cattle...I'd say he's showed considerable restraint in that manner.

Lol, yeah, because the problem is just that simplistic. Give me a friggin break.

Uh, the people he held at gunpoint are accused of walking across his land. That's all.

Now, I assume his property is posted No Trespassing. (Since I assume the guy's not an idiot.)

And walking across somebody's posted property is a crime. One which, IMO, the owner has the right to enforce. (Including, if he feels it necessary, by taking actions that are more, uh, forceful than making them wait for the cops to arrive.)

But let's not try to make it sound like his heroic actions prevented an impending gang rape and multiple murders. He stopped some trespassers. Some other trespassers have committed littering and vandalism.

Larry's right, Keast.....the illegals that caused the property damage are not necessarily the same ones that he recently confronted

My bad, when he said "these people" I thought he was referring to the 12k immigrants, not the particular ones in this specific lawsuit.

Regardless, does that make a difference? They're trespassing on his property. Threatening them with a gun and his butt-biting dog then calling border patrol does not seem suit-worthy to me...pretty appropriate if you ask me, especially considering that his property has been vandalized, cattle killed, trucks stolen, and home broken into by previous illegal immigrants trespassing on his property.

But let's not try to make it sound like his heroic actions prevented an impending gang rape and multiple murders. He stopped some trespassers. Some other trespassers have committed littering and vandalism.

I'm not making this out to be some heroic act Larry. Never did I say he successfully prevented "impending gang rape and multiple murders."

If you read what I actually wrote, I said it's a shame he has to come up with a ton of money to defend himself against a ridiculous trespassing suit. I also said they're lucky they weren't shot or shot at as I would imagine someone who's had his home broken into, his house vandalized, cattle killed, trucks, stolen, etc. would be a bit more trigger happy. What he did was perfectly within his rights as far as I understand things.

Alrighty then. Instead of asking for a break, I should have said "get real and stop making ignorantly simplistic posts about the issue since you've proven that you clearly don't understand the issue if you honestly think it's that simplistic." There, that's better.

Get real? Whose state is about to collapse under it's own weight? Who "really" needs a reality check here?

Archived