Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Car advice

Gator Bait

My girl friend has a 2003 Infinity G35, it is a piece of *$#%. She has dumped countless money into it since the warranty ran out and she is upside down on the loan. The car is very expensive to maintain.

She currently owes around 18,000 on the car that is worth around 13,500 private party and 12,000 trade in according to edmunds.com.

Our goal is to get her into a more reliable car with a warranty that is cheaper to maintain than a G35.

I plan to check the dealers and see if we can get her into a 2008 model for under 14,000, that way even with the remainder of her other loan rolled in, she could get a 60 month loan at around 6%. (which would be much better than the current 60 month 8% $550 car payment she has)

One of her main concerns is a vehicle that handles well in the snow. I'm thinking a mid-sized SUV with 4x4 or AWD.

Does anyone have any suggestions of vehicles for her?

I'm an import fan myself. But she isn't in a situation where she has the flexibility to be picky.

I think we are better off getting an american car that is under warranty...it will be cheaper than an import.

I agree with the cheaper part. Most dealers are hurting so bad right now, you can find great deals on slightly used vehicles. Those guys will bend over backwards to get you to drive a car off the lot.

I agree with the cheaper part. Most dealers are hurting so bad right now, you can find great deals on slightly used vehicles. Those guys will bend over backwards to get you to drive a car off the lot.

yeah, I know....that is how I got my 04 TL navi for 14,000 a few months ago....it blue booked for around 20,0000!

I think a 2008 will be the best option, although I'll have to look at the 2009 as well, if we can get 0% interest.

The one issue is going to be the trade-in and how much you can get for it. Dealers are hurting bad right now to sell cars, but they also won't throw nearly as much cash around for the trade in. You may have to negotiate pretty hard on that point, and they still may not give in. They may be hurting, but they're not going to capitulate on everything.

I went to Edison High School and bought a volvo for 300 + 280 for parts and repairs.

Its been running for a year now.. Best car i ever bought for the buck.

I bought it after spending 400 on a rental waiting for my Honda to get the ignition replaced.

And it helps the school my girls will go to in 5+ years.

I've heard really good things about the new hyundai, do you have one?

My wife drives a 01 and we have been pleased

Stepfather owns several newer ones

and just for big mike they have plants here and are just as American as a Escape...with a better warranty;)

You cannot go wrong w/Toyota trucks or SUVs imo. They hold their value because they are incredibly reliable. I owned a LandCruiser for a few years and sold it for just a little less than I bought it for originally (it was used when I got it).

yeah, I did the same thing with a 4-runner a few years back. This would be a good option if it wasn't for the price range she is dealing with....Toyota is expensive.

Buy her a beater.

How bad are the problems she is having with the G35 ? She might be better off keeping it at this point. What are the costs to get it back to perfect running condition (if that is a problem) ?

So potentially 6-8k upside down and then add on a new car for a total of 20-22k, not to mention 5 more years of payments on a car that probably wont hold great value either.

You cannot go wrong w/Toyota trucks or SUVs imo. They hold their value because they are incredibly reliable. I owned a LandCruiser for a few years and sold it for just a little less than I bought it for originally (it was used when I got it).

yeah, I did the same thing with a 4-runner a few years back. This would be a good option if it wasn't for the price range she is dealing with....Toyota is expensive.

Your story kind of bums me out because I was looking at getting a used G35 and I had a co-worker also tell me that his had a ton of problems as well.

Don't have any car advise, but I do have spelling advice :)
then I suggest you start working on you degree in education and go teach grade school rather than commenting in threads you have nothing valid to add.
Funny about spelling - some people are thankful to be corrected and some people get pissy. I am thankful when I'm corrected because I've learned something. Anyways...

You might look at the Subaru Forester - it's AWD. My wife has one. It's good in snow. We bought it used at Annapolis Subaru.

Archived