Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What if: Gibbs annointed Warner and not Brunell

Retire 21

2005 Never happens without Brunell.

Nonsense

You're trying to say that Mark Brunell was the reason the Redskins won 10 games that year?

Oh please.

Brunell had a handful of good games where you could say he was a reason for the Redskins offense clicking and they all took place in the first half of the season (Broncos, Chiefs, 49ers, Bucs........skins were 1-3). After that he was mediocre. Case in point the game against the Giants in December. Some people will say "He threw 2 touchdowns" Those people don't like to look closer and see that one TD came on a WR screen to Moss and I can still remember his deep throw td that Moss had to slow down and spin all the way around just to get it. Hardly a good game....yet some will point to it. Also before anyone points to the game in Dallas, I'd like to point out that Brunell was horrid for 3 and half quarters and was a main reason why they were losing 13-0 so no I wouldn't point to this game as an example of Brunell being key to our 10 wins.

During the playoff drive it was Clinton Portis and the defense that led the way and if we had another QB, we would have beaten Seattle (again don't point to any stats from that game because Brunell "threw a td" when a defender dropped the interception and Moss caught the deflection and the rest was garbage time yards) and gone to the NFC title game.

As for the subject, Warner would not have done much here in DC. I think his stay here would have been very similar to his forgettable stint in New York.

As for the subject, Warner would not have done much here in DC. I think his stay here would have been very similar to his forgettable stint in New York.

It would be interesting to go back and see what the discussion was like on here when we signed Brunell and see if there was sentiment for Warner.

Warner really didn't get much of a chance in New York. The Giants actually started 5-2 during Warner's year there but then dropped a couple to go to 5-4 when they decided to see what Eli could do. An interesting decision in a season where I think two 8-8 teams made the playoffs in the NFC. The decision has since been validated since Eli has led them to two div titles and a Lombardi.

I can't remember what happened to Warner in 2002 for the Rams but hell the team had the league's highest scoring offense in 1999-2001. Then of course Bulger took over for good in 2003. Jacksonville's offense was pretty pedestrian in 2001-2, the last seasons Brunell took the majority of snaps there.

Having said all that, I think the pitiful performance of our 2004 offense can be laid at the feet of Gibbs.

And like, if only we had drafted Wolverine to play any LB position and give us a terrific blitz option, and picked up Juggernaut at FB instead of Sellers and wastes like Nemo. And we should have offered the oldster Reed Richards vet min plus incentives. He could be that tall target--the guy who could stretch for the catch. He'd be great in the Red Zone where he wouldn't have to run far.

Im sorry the defensive line has more need. This would only work if we had the Hulk as DT. Imagine the pressure and glogged holes.

warner is a great qb when he's has great wideouts, thats it. in st. lo he had bruce in his prime with torry holt, two HOFers. In ny..... nothing cuz the receivers sucked. in zona he has the best receiver in football accompanied with a number two option that could be the #1 option on any team except colts, pats, and texans. great numbers when he's had silly receiver talent.

:dallasuck:eaglesuck:gaintsuck:dallasuck:dallasuck

I'm just thinking. I mean, Brunell was awful in that stretch run in 05 and his futility continued into the playoffs. I feel like if he had a competent QB in the playoffs, someone who could make some plays, that we could have run the table to the Super Bowl.

I allways have liked, like still, and allways will like Mark Brunell...

I think it is wrong that some redskins fans bash him, he was a great guy who gave his all and was a good leader... Santana Moss has said himself that he was the best guy he has caught passes from...

I just think we should all remember and be happy of some of the good times mark gave us.

PH2006091600892.jpg... remember that one?

and becides... it isnt like warner killed it in 04, i believe Cullpepper did though! and as for 05, Burnell for the most part had better stats... not but a whole lot but they were better. (so youd have to be phsycic to know warner was gonna make a huge comeback in his career...) I love warner, but the past is the past and I still love brunell.

I'm just thinking. I mean, Brunell was awful in that stretch run in 05 and his futility continued into the playoffs. I feel like if he had a competent QB in the playoffs, someone who could make some plays, that we could have run the table to the Super Bowl.

uh..... WHAT?

he was very good until he got a cheap shot to the knee against the giants. and he still won the next game and a playoff game on one leg, and had a decent game against the 'hawks in Seattle

And like, if only we had drafted Wolverine to play any LB position and give us a terrific blitz option, and picked up Juggernaut at FB instead of Sellers and wastes like Nemo. And we should have offered the oldster Reed Richards vet min plus incentives. He could be that tall target--the guy who could stretch for the catch. He'd be great in the Red Zone where he wouldn't have to run far.

Nah Wolverine falls victim to Magneto (who's probably a Cowboys fan). What we need is Professor X on the sidelines, telling the opposition the wrong plays....or Jean Gray as an assistant coach telepathically moving players to the right spot and making sure they catch the ball....

I like the if game.

Here is a mind blower...what if Steve Biscotti bought the team and not Snyder?

See, there are known knowns and known unknowns, but there are also unknown knowns and unknown unknowns. You understand?

BTW, wasn't it Howard Milsen who had bought the team at first (with Snyder as a minority partner), but the deal fell through?

Nah Wolverine falls victim to Magneto (who's probably a Cowboys fan). What we need is Professor X on the sidelines, telling the opposition the wrong plays....or Jean Gray as an assistant coach telepathically moving players to the right spot and making sure they catch the ball....

I like the if game.

haha i like that... i think we need batman...

2 reasons

1- batman is batman

2- batman is played by christian bale and i think we all know now that NO ONE messes with the bale!

Well, here's a short thread from the time that kind of shows what people were thinking:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=49629

Again, you do have to give Brunell some credit for the 2005 season, and have to wonder how much of his struggles had to do with Gibbs being rusty in 2004 and then the new scheme brought in with Saunders in 2006. The fact that Gibbs TWICE benched the QB he brought here is unfortunately a defining mark of his second coaching stint with the Skins.

See, You had to go an make fun of a very serious thread. Now R21's feelings are going to be hurt. I hope you're happy.

Dude, if Gibbs would have wanted Warner instead of Brunell he would have died at the airport because Warner would be late since his wife had him home taking care of their 1/2 dozen kids.

I guess god really is on Gibbs' side some of the time, except for his 4 years here working for the anti-christ, lol.

Not a very apt analogy.

Warner was available for the taking (TWICE). I don't remember wolverine or Superman being available, but if they were I guess you are spot on.

Since there is no really wrong answer here, I'll play.

Based on our line play, Warner would have been forced into early retirement from being smashed into the ground repeatedly.

Heck, it is a wonder Brunell can still walk.

You do realize that Warner has a quicker release than Campbell, has been rushed more than Campbell, and has taken more after pass hits than Campbell for this year right?

Archived