Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Top 25 Rickey Henderson Stories

Hubbs

These are great.

3) In the early 1980s, the Oakland A’s accounting department was freaking out. The books were off $1 million. After an investigation, it was determined Rickey was the reason why. The GM asked him about a $1 million bonus he had received and Rickey said instead of cashing it, he framed it and hung it on a wall at his house.

5) This one might be my second favorite. This wasn’t too long ago, I think it was the year he ended up playing with the Red Sox. Anyway, he called San Diego GM Kevin Towers and left the following message: “This is Rickey calling on behalf of Rickey. Rickey wants to play baseball.”

7) Rickey once asked a teammate how long it would take him to drive to the Dominican Republic.

14) I didn’t believe this one at first. However, I emailed a few contacts within the Sox organization and they claim it actually happened. This is priceless, it really is. The morning after the Sox finished off their 2004 World Series sweep against St. Louis, Henderson called someone in the organization looking for tickets to Game 6 at Fenway Park.

24) To this day and dating back 25 years, before every game he plays, Henderson stands completely naked in front of a full length locker room mirror and says, “Ricky’s the best,” for several minutes.

Full list here.

I have one.

Back about 12 or so years ago i had the good fortune of sitting in the front row right behind home plate at an Orioles / A's game.

(Who was the A's knuckleballer then? wakefield? Hough maybe? I don't know, but he was pitching and man oh man,, I couldn't believe how that ball came travelling in. Unreal.)

Anyway, Henderson came up with the bases loaded, and I yelled at him in a quiet moment that he was too old to hit it out of the park.

two pitches later, he cracked the grand slam, turned around and laughed directly at me. Then he did it again when he crossed the plate.

I found it to be in good fun, though.

they beat the crap out of the o's that day.

~Bang

I have one.

Back about 12 or so years ago i had the good fortune of sitting in the front row right behind home plate at an Orioles / A's game.

(Who was the A's knuckleballer then? wakefield? Hough maybe? I don't know, but he was pitching and man oh man,, I couldn't believe how that ball came travelling in. Unreal.)

Anyway, Henderson came up with the bases loaded, and I yelled at him in a quiet moment that he was too old to hit it out of the park.

two pitches later, he cracked the grand slam, turned around and laughed directly at me. Then he did it again when he crossed the plate.

I found it to be in good fun, though.

they beat the crap out of the o's that day.

~Bang

That's pretty funny, and I agree, it's in good fun, he didn't make any sort of gesture at you or anything

That's pretty funny, and I agree, it's in good fun, he didn't make any sort of gesture at you or anything

yeah he was really cool about it,, laughing with obvious humor. He got me, and he made sure I knew it. Of course, that put the A's up something like 9-2 in the 4th or so.. so I guess anyone would be happy to be him at that point.

~Bang

I did the same thing to Barry Bonds but i kept saying his name over and over.

baaaaaaarrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

baaaaaaaarrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

he got pissed though and pointed me out to the ump who then called security. they then told me that i wasnt doing anything wrong but "what if he jumps the fence and comes after you?" "well, then I guess I will become a millionaire." :laugh:

The story went that a few weeks into Henderson’s stint with the Mariners, he walked up to Olerud at the batting cage and asked him why he wore a batting helmet in the field. Olerud explained that he had an aneurysm at nine years old and he wore the helmet for protection. Legend goes that Henderson said, “Yeah, I used to play with a guy that had the same thing.” Legend also goes that Olerud said, “That was me, Rickey.”

Supposedly it's not true...

Also remember this one

In Baltimore, the one thing about Memorial Stadium was: they always seemed to play better music than all the other stadiums. So Rickey's out there with the bat on his shoulder, and Aretha Franklin comes on: "R-E-S-P-E-C-T." Rickey's trying to sing along to it, but he keeps messing up the letters. I'm pretty sure he was saying "R-E-D-B-P-S-T-C" or something. Everyone's laughing, guys are saying "Can he even spell it?" Rickey used letters for everything. Now, I want to be careful to say, I'm not saying he's stupid. Rickey's a smart guy. But the Aretha Franklin story was classic.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3646248

Wow. That was ****ing hilarious. My favorite has to be:

24) To this day and dating back 25 years, before every game he plays, Henderson stands completely naked in front of a full length locker room mirror and says, “Ricky’s the best,” for several minutes.

I have one.

Bang was that around 1995? I think was at that game Dennis Eckersley was pitching for the A's. I think we lost something like 8-1.

Archived