Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bi Racial questions thread- Obama related

ljs

Ok..I'm not bi-racial...but my kids are...I'm white, my hubby's black. If you ask my daughter she would probably tell you that she identifies more with her father's race. I would say that is because we live in a predominantly black neighborhood and have done so for over 18 years..so the majority of her friends are black and her boyfriend is black. When she was smaller she was asked by a new neighborhood kid about her race, she said "I'm black". That upset me b/c although her father is black, I am white and I felt she was disregarding part of who she is.

*edit*Sorry I had to log out b/c of work...so I couldn't really convey my thoughts properly.

My husband & I have worked very hard to ensure that our children feel comfortable in both worlds and I think we've done a good job of pulling this off...I will say, however, that my daughter feels more at ease around black people..but she can relate to her "whiteness" as well. My son was killed 3 years ago so I can't speak for him at t his point..but before his death, he was at ease w/all races. He was one of those kids that fit in where ever he was and whoever he was with.

The ONLY reason I brought this up, is that all day/night and today, everything is about him being black. So instead of you assuming that I have a problem with his race, why don't people stand up and say, "Give this man credit for success based on his work ethic, his education, his desire, NOT based on his race." But NO, Tom Brokaw and the like had nothing to say about it except how cool it was cause he's black.

Remember who is speaking and what they have witnessed in their lifetime. Most of the major TV guys speaking also were around in the 50's and 60's during some the worst times for many blacks in this country. They have seen from the worst and yesterday the best of times for the cival rights movement.

People like us (younger generations) don't think twice when it comes to race, but we are also the minority in the country. Which I think it is hard for some of us to not understand why people still want to be called african-american, italian american, indian-american etc.... a lot of that has to do with pride for their backgrounds.

I'm curious to hear opinions of people who are bi-racial, specifically white/black. Do you feel torn to identify w/ one race or the other? Do you correct people who may think both of your parents are of the same race? I know how I would feel If it were me, but since it's not, I wanted to hear from someone who actually lives it.

I'm getting the feeling that some people forget Obama's mother is a white woman from Kansas. He was raised by his white grandparents in Hawaii, yet I heard absolutely nothing about that yesterday, or many times during this whole process. I blame a lot of this on the media. I watched the news a lot last night, and I counted on one hand how many white people they showed. Everything was about Obama being black. Why can't it be about all of us as Americans?

Now, I applaud that we celebrate this occasion, but at the same time, if I were Obama's mother, I would be offended. It's like they forgot she raised her son. I feel like the media portrays him to be "a poor black man from the streets of Harlem and now has risen to the top." Seriously, even I as a conservative give this man more credit than most of the media does.

I thought a lot about writing this, and am expecting some negative backlash..I hope I'm wrong. Please know I have no ill intentions by bringing this up.

I respectfully disagree. The media has talked nonstop about

how his mother was white and his father was a black muslim.

It has been beaten to death...he is looked upon as a black man

because that is what color he is. Take any other man of his

complexion and ask people on the street what he is and they

will sure as HELL not say white. They will say he is black.

Ever since he got elected message boards have been

flooded by these same type of comments.

Ok..I'm not bi-racial...but my kids are...I'm white, my hubby's black. If you ask my daughter she would probably tell you that she identifies more with her father's race. I would say that is because we live in a predominantly black neighborhood and have done so for over 18 years..so the majority of her friends are black and her boyfriend is black. When she was smaller she was asked by a new neighborhood kid about her race, she said "I'm black". That upset me b/c although her father is black, I am white and I felt she was disregarding part of who she is.

That's ironic, because my daughter lives in a heavily predominantly white small town in the midwest and most of her friends are white, and she still identifies with being black lol...

I'm going to chime in on this. LJ, this is what it is. Me myself, I am a Black man(African-American for the PC). I have family members who are bi-racial. If you look at them, you would think they are Black. My aunt's that are White, consider their children to be Black. When they went to school, they are and still are considered a Black Man or Black Woman, regardless of their mom. Sometimes, when I travel, or someone talks to me, they think I am bi-racial, but I am quick to tell them, that I am Black.

If Obama was a regular guy and you got into an argument or something with him at the grocery store and came home and your significant other/mother/someone else asked you describe him what would you say?

My guess is that most would describe him as a black male.

That's a great question, which reminds me of a conversation I've had before. A co worker of mine is black. Someone asked me a question, in which my reply was to point him out as the person in question. (not for a negative, just "who is so and so). Rather than say, "he is the black guy over there." I purposely described his shirt color not his race color, to which the other person said, "oh the black guy." :doh:

My dad is native American, but so many peopel thing he's Mexican, that they have started speaking to him in Spanish. Same w/ a former co worker of mine.

I'm glad for the responses, as reading other view points is exactly what I was looking for. It opens our eyes other views.

Oh, trust me...me, her grandfather, AND all her uncles got the shotguns at the ready lol :cool:...

i hope they have lots of ammo.

i feel for dads of teenage girls. working in a middle school makes me thank god every day i have two boys. (not just because of the boys...add on to that a little girl would have me wrapped around her finger in less than 5 parseps)

you have a beautiful daughter, cali. :cheers:

Conversely, I know one or two people who like to introduce me as their "Jewish" friend and while I know they mean no harm, it always makes me feel a little squeamish.

Is there any reason they feel the need to announce this? lol...Are they warning their other aquaintances not to make any comments about Jews in your presence or something? :)

i hope they have lots of ammo.

i feel for dads of teenage girls. working in a middle school makes me thank god every day i have two boys. (not just because of the boys...add on to that a little girl would have me wrapped around her finger in less than 5 parseps)

you have a beautiful daughter, cali. :cheers:

It's not easy...damn snot-nosed punks :mad:...her heart gets even a little broken and I become Al Bundy lol...

And thank :cheers:...

That's a great question, which reminds me of a conversation I've had before. A co worker of mine is black. Someone asked me a question, in which my reply was to point him out as the person in question. (not for a negative, just "who is so and so). Rather than say, "he is the black guy over there." I purposely described his shirt color not his race color, to which the other person said, "oh the black guy." :doh:

My dad is native American, but so many peopel thing he's Mexican, that they have started speaking to him in Spanish. Same w/ a former co worker of mine.

I'm glad for the responses, as reading other view points is exactly what I was looking for. It opens our eyes other views.

It's always good to try to see views through other perspectives.

My reasoning is the best example I can come up with to explain it simply.

My sister-in-law is extremely bigoted and refuses to acknowledge black, African-American, or any other color. Hell, I'm not even sure if she acknowledges him as the President - her and Truman might get along great.

"I'm sick of hearing about how he's the first black President. He's not black."

"How would you describe him then? African-American?"

"He's not even African-American, his father was from Kenya."

. . .

You know, I've never really asked. Sometimes, I think it's a "look at me I'm open minded" kind of thing. Other times, I think it could be a warning. Then, sometimes, I think it's used as a conversation starter or convenient label.

Thing this person is a wonderful person and other than the intros... has never done or said anything to make me think "uh oh" So, I've decided to decide that it's an innocent quirk.

Hey Hey, LJ, question for you, did you know or question my race when we met at the Seahawks game?

Anywho, I am mixed, blk/wht. I was raised by my mother who is white and her side of the family who is white(although my stepfather was black). I remember as a kid in elementary school when we had to fill out those forms and put your race, you either had to put black or white, could not put both. This always raised questions in my mind and one time I asked about it and was told that I need to choose one or the other and from there on out, that's what I would be... I chose black. The fact of the matter is, regardless of how anyone may feel about it, society views me and has always viewed me as a black man. Despite the fact that I am half white, I dealt with the same "injustices and racism" (for lack of better words) as any other black person I know, people do not think or question how much "black" or "white" a person has in them, of you're part black, you're black... period. I've even dealt with that within my own family, my mother's side who I grew up around and I know have love for me, at times did not understand, could not appreciate, or did not agree with my "blackness", again, for lack of a better word. I could go on and on about this topic, I however know how tough it was for me growing up because I always felt and was treated as if I was too "white" for black people and too "black" for white people...

My question to you LJ was strictly out of curiousity... as many people actually think, will even swear that I am hispanic. Alot of people say they could tell I was mixed, and a very few actually tell me that they though I was just black...

I've had people (ok, whites lol) ask me "What are you?"...I say "American." They smile slightly embarrassed and say "I mean, you look like you are a mix of something...are you part-asian?"...I say "No, 100% black"...they say "Wow, you look like you could be asian or something as well."

I don't know if I should feel insulted or complimented lol...

Hey Hey, LJ, question for you, did you know or question my race when we met at the Seahawks game?

Hey Alex!! honestly. I thought you were Hispanic/white mix and/or Asian mixed w/ white...looks like I was off. lol

My buddy in highschool was Mexican. When we met I thought she was half black/half white. She looked like Mariah Carey.

Calif- I asked people a lot what nationality are they...only cause I'm uber curious and it doesn't matter how dark/light their skin is. One gal at work that I thought was Native American, was actually from Italian decent. In all reality, none of us are "pure" at this point in history. I think everyone has a lil of somethin in them.

Hey Alex!! honestly. I thought you were Hispanic/white mix and/or Asian mixed w/ white...looks like I was off. lol

My buddy in highschool was Mexican. When we met I thought she was half black/half white. She looked like Mariah Carey.

Calif- I asked people a lot what nationality are they...only cause I'm uber curious and it doesn't matter how dark/light their skin is. One gal at work that I thought was Native American, was actually from Italian decent. In all reality, none of us are "pure" at this point in history. I think everyone has a lil of somethin in them.

That's why it's hard to tell...sometimes, asking someone black what they "are" ends up meaning "Your nose and lips aren't real big and your skin isn't dark, so I assumed you aren't black".

That's why it's hard to tell...sometimes, asking someone black what they "are" ends up meaning "Your nose and lips aren't real big and your skin isn't dark, so I assumed you aren't black".

I'm pretty sure that I haven't ever asked that of someone who is black, or at least obviously (pointing to HailinginSeattle as example of someone I wouldn't think was black, and therefore ask his nationality).

But now with two nieces from Ethiopia, I find myself more and more intrigued with this topic.

Conversely, I know one or two people who like to introduce me as their "Jewish" friend and while I know they mean no harm, it always makes me feel a little squeamish.

geez...I would probably flip if someone introduced me as "Hey this is my friend the Lesbian.." I'd be like, "dude I'm gonna whoop yo arse for outting me!"

I don't know... it's weird what and when something offends and what you choose to take as humor or as insult. BigMike is a pretty good example of that on this board. He riles a number of people up, but largely I think he's goofing around and we joke back and forth fairly frequently even though philosophically we're opposite on a number of issues.

As a lesbian though, I am sure there are times you decided to take a deep breath and repress. I think there's similarity in that to the "my Jewish friend" thing. I remember it because it was odd and offputting, but I chose to understand it as an innocent thing versus something else.

Archived