Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bi Racial questions thread- Obama related

ljs

I don't know... it's weird what and when something offends and what you choose to take as humor or as insult. BigMike is a pretty good example of that on this board. He riles a number of people up, but largely I think he's goofing around and we joke back and forth fairly frequently even though philosophically we're opposite on a number of issues.

As a lesbian though, I am sure there are times you decided to take a deep breath and repress. I think there's similarity in that to the "my Jewish friend" thing. I remember it because it was odd and offputting, but I chose to understand it as an innocent thing versus something else.

That's the great thing about being black...nobody has to introduce you as their "black" friend lol :cool: (unless you're meeting someone blind, of course...hmmm...)

I don't know... it's weird what and when something offends and what you choose to take as humor or as insult. BigMike is a pretty good example of that on this board. He riles a number of people up, but largely I think he's goofing around and we joke back and forth fairly frequently even though philosophically we're opposite on a number of issues.

As a lesbian though, I am sure there are times you decided to take a deep breath and repress. I think there's similarity in that to the "my Jewish friend" thing. I remember it because it was odd and offputting, but I chose to understand it as an innocent thing versus something else.

You are exactly right. We are on opposite spectrums but I respect what you have to say and even though we are usually kidding I get when you're serious about something....you dirty rat.

but I wouldnt ever introduce someone as "my gay friend" because that is SUCH a touchy subject with people and I dont want to be the reason you are brought out if you arent fully ready.

but I wouldnt ever introduce someone as "my gay friend" because that is SUCH a touchy subject with people and I dont want to be the reason you are brought out if you arent fully ready.

My best friend is gay and it never once crossed my mind to introduce him as such. I can't quite fathom the mindset that feels it's necessary. Hell, I don't even introduce him as my best friend. Half the time I don't introduce him as my friend lol...I just introduce him by his name, with the assumption being that he is indeed a friend of mine.

My best friend is gay and it never once crossed my mind to introduce him as such. I can't quite fathom the mindset that feels it's necessary. Hell, I don't even introduce him as my best friend. Half the time I don't introduce him as my friend lol...I just introduce him by his name, with the assumption being that he is indeed a friend of mine.

everyone, this is my gay friend califan. califan, these are my gay friends ES. :silly:

You are exactly right. We are on opposite spectrums but I respect what you have to say and even though we are usually kidding I get when you're serious about something....you dirty rat.

Actually, Mike is a great guy to be opposite with. Generally speaking if he takes a position and you go the other way you wind up being right... and winning money. In fact, BigMike is like Holmes' Watson. He's necessary because he points out all the flawed theories so that Holmes is only left with the correct answer.

everyone, this is my gay friend califan. califan, these are my gay friends ES. :silly:

hey that one's for me!!

But seriously Mike, if you know of any hot chicks out there, feel free to show them my pic and say "this is my lesbian friend...":silly:

hey that one's for me!!

But seriously Mike, if you know of any hot chicks out there, feel free to show them my pic and say "this is my lesbian friend...":silly:

I am a lesbian magnet. straight up, I got that nickname from my friends. When you come down we will hit up some spots..:cheers:

I'm participating in hijacking my own thread...starting to get a lil jealous of all the man love in here.

It's working. We can turn her ;)

(Please let me know if I become offensive or inappropriate. It's been a long week editing at NPR and I'm a bit loopy.)

It's working. We can turn her ;)

(Please let me know if I become offensive or inappropriate. It's been a long week editing at NPR and I'm a bit loopy.)

oh, none at all. I'm laughing so hard, people walking by my office are looking at me funny.

Traditionally, if you were half black you were treated as all black. I've actually never heard anyone talked about as "half-black" in a non academic setting. I've certainly never heard anyone identified as "half-white" and all those forms I've filled out my whole life never gave a fractional option. You were one or the other.

It's probably a positive that this is in your head, but in practical terms I've just never really seen that play out. Someone who is bi-racial has been in almost all ways treated as being black. Now, sometimes in some places in America that means that they were treated exactly the same way as whites, but as far as the Census or American consciousness... I don't think that half-black and half-white are real descriptors.

In fact, the only time I can remember something like that being used is as a racial insult as in "half-breed" or mulato.

My daughter is multiracial but everyone looking at her assumes she is either Hispanic or Middle Eastern.

She received the white girl and redbone comments growing up.

I let her choose her own dolls because while part of her heritage includes the gorgeous permanent dark tan to me it was unfair to reinforce that with dark barbies when she is very light.

She is Black White Native American and Creole thanks to her parents

My daughter is multiracial but everyone looking at her assumes she is either Hispanic or Middle Eastern.

She received the white girl and redbone comments growing up.

I let her choose her own dolls because while part of her heritage includes the gorgeous permanent dark tan to me it was unfair to reinforce that with dark barbies when she is very light.

She is Black White Native American and Creole thanks to her parents

Maybe you are right and this could be something that I don't know enough about. It certainly seemed that race was talked about in absolute terms. You are this or you are that. Since most Americans are mutts anyway it would make more sense to describe our ethnicity more fully, but in the end other than ancestorially and perhaps genetically in the terms for certain predispositions to disease... hopefully, it will be a question that will matter less and less each generation.

Burgold, where in Silver Spring are you? I used to live in Silver Spring in a predominately Jewish area, off of Amherst(think that's what it is), where the Sinagogue is.

Off topic, but Lori, you going to the SD or Oakland game next year? I'm gonna go down for Oakland...

You are describing the neighborhood where I grew up. I live a bit closer to Rockville and Kensington now, off Conneticutt.

Burgold, where in Silver Spring are you? I used to live in Silver Spring in a predominately Jewish area, off of Amherst(think that's what it is), where the Sinagogue is.

Off topic, but Lori, you going to the SD or Oakland game next year? I'm gonna go down for Oakland...

I'm going to SD...I can't wait! You should come down to SD, it'll be a blast.

Archived