Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Go for money or what you love?

NDSkinsguy

I see doing "what you love" in favor of having a better higher paying career, that would enable you to have a better life for you and your potential family, as self indulgent. I'd love to be a professional musician, artist, race car driver, photographer, or moto journalist..., but I view those desires as irresponsible. The competition for a successful career in those fields doesn't justify the gamble. This country is going to the dogs financially. Never has there been a greater divide between the wealthy and the poor. The middle class is sliding south. Go for the money. :D

I'd love to be a professional musician, artist, race car driver, photographer, or moto journalist..., but I view those desires as irresponsible. The competition for a successful career in those fields doesn't justify the gamble.

And that's precisely what I'm trying to decipher right now; whether or not my "dream" is an irresponsible choice.

And that's precisely what I'm trying to decipher right now; whether or not my "dream" is an irresponsible choice.

Maybe you can have it both ways. Go for a career that pays well and teach on the side. That's how view my "passions". I've had some band experiences and other hobbies that took care of those urges/curiosities.

I also found that I like making money. :D

Here's what happens: jobs that don't make money also treat their employees like crap. Go for the teaching degree if you must, but realize that there's competition for the job you think you'll love. If you don't like the way you're treated, too bad! They'll just pick up one of the other million people who followed their dreams only to be crapped on.

I went for the money, and it turns out my career is really fun. Not only that, but I'm treated great. There's no competition for my job, because it requires a degree that wasn't exciting or easy.

Definately what you love. Being miserable isnt worth the money. I've had 2 jobs since graduating college. The first I absolutely hated, and my current job I love. The difference in your life is huge. If you hate your job, it will carry over when you get home, and as soon as you wake up, youll hate where you are going. Just speaking from experience

Definately what you love. Being miserable isnt worth the money. I've had 2 jobs since graduating college. The first I absolutely hated, and my current job I love. The difference in your life is huge. If you hate your job, it will carry over when you get home, and as soon as you wake up, youll hate where you are going. Just speaking from experience
I agree with what you're saying. However, there are a lot of variables that go into how you feel about your job. I believe that what happens is people hate the jobs they think they'll love. Low wage means your employer doesn't value you much. That carries into how they treat you, and not just how they pay you.

I have made exactly 3 professional choices in my life based on "the money." All 3 were miserable failures.

Do what you will want to wake up in the morning and do everyday or you will always feel a bit cheated no matter how much money you make. If you like it, you'll be good at it and the money will come.

Archived