Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OU's Offense is What Our Offense Will Look Like

Chiefinonhaze

It looks more and more like ASF's theory that involved the number of college pass attempts may have some merit. There's no way that someone like Bradford isn't being 'prepared' on some level for the NFL.

It's funny, most true franchise QBs (that get taken in the first) don't need a lot of time just a little. And their teams don't feel like they're sacrificing entire seasons to the guy's development, they can't wait to get him in because he's going to IMPROVE their team. They're not sitting there whining about not having a hall of fame line and Randy Moss and TO at wideout to 'support' a franchise QB.

I have no earthly idea how anyone can evaluate any of these college QBs in these spread offenses. I've seen Bradford play four or five times this year. It seems like every pass is a little lob to a receiver who is open by five yards. I mean, he's accurate as all hell, but college football is so different than the pro game at this point that I have no idea how to judge him or Tebow or McCoy or Pat White or any of these guys.

:stop: What is going on around here? Are we feeling better by saying a college offense will be our "blueprint" of what we are to see next year from the Redskins? I certainly hope not. I realize we, as fans, are used to seeing a college like offense around here going up against professional defenses but I would certainly hope to see a NFL offense next season, not a college one. But that's just my own opinion. :whoknows:

Year 2 will look different, no doubt.

Zorn wasn't trying to generate tempo using a no-huddle; he simply wanted his offense to be so thoroughly prepared for each game, for each different SITUATION even, that they were able to quickly and precisely huddle up, call the next scripted play, get to the LoS, and with a minimum of time snap the ball.

Offenses that operate that way do create tempo, they just do it without the substitution limiting no-huddle or hurry-up.

Ok.........I'll bite. But here's my argument..........we did have a tempo this year. It was s---l---o---w...........and extremely predictable.

Zorn made it impossible to play at a high tempo this year. He was constantly shuffling players in and out all the time like one guys gonna make a huge difference. He wasn't getting the plays in quickly either. We were always snapping the ball at 3..2..1

Exactly my point. Well said. Getting players in and out of the huddle looked like a Chinese fire drill (my apologies to any of our Chinese members, wasn't meant as a derrogatory thing), and once that fiasco was done, the movement to the line of scrimmage and the reamaining time to get the play off was pretty much predetermined.

And.........Zorn, being the guru QB coach that he is...........put ZERO emphasis on having JC vary the snap count. AT ALL!!! I'm not a fan of Campbell, and I feel he isn't developing at an acceptable rate, but you're seriously telling me he doesn't understand the value of a hard count? Zorn hasn't stressed the use of such a thing? Hasn't taught it to him? Honestly, so many people are complaining about O-line play, but when the QB doesn't do a thing to keep the defense off balance, what the heck does anyone expect? Defenses, for the most part, have been able to line up and tee off knowing exactly when the snap will come. That can't help an already ailing offensive line, not to mention the run and pass game.

I knew this thread was coming at some point. Anyways, I think the whole point of Zorns offense is ball control. Not running 97 plays in a game

Running 97 plays in a game kinda spells ball control, doesn't it? I think 97 plays in the NFL is going to be tough, so don't take what I said too literally. I just think you contradicted your own argument.

Bradford is precision as hell. Neither INT was his fault really. Man, I hope we can get a QB that is half the player he is someday.

IF he fall's to 13, we'd be VERY remiss not to take him.

I apreciate the need on both lines, but EVERYTHING starts and ends with the signal caller. And the Redskins have been woefully served in the position for almost two decades now.

It's about time we addressed this fully, once and for all. Or else we'll continue to stumble blindly through one average season to the next.

Hail.

It will really look like OU if we draft Duke Robinson and Phil Loadholt :D

Not sure I'd want Robinson. He doesn't look too polished to me. Granted, college guys aren't supposed to be polished, but I think he looked downright sloppy.

Not sure I'd want Robinson. He doesn't look too polished to me.

Duke is a lot better than what he played last night but I still don't think that's going to hurt his stock as the #1 guard in the draft.

On the flip side, Loadholt played better than he has all season so he may have helped his stock a little.

I can't justify taking Duke with the #13 pick overall but he is worth a late 1st or early 2nd for sure.

Duke is a lot better than what he played last night but I still don't think that's going to hurt his stock as the #1 guard in the draft.

On the flip side, Loadholt played better than he has all season so he may have helped his stock a little.

I can't justify taking Duke with the #13 pick overall but he is worth a late 1st or early 2nd for sure.

I tend to agree with this assessment. The one question in the back of my mind regarding Duke is this: he is a huge OG with all the tools, BUT he played in a decidedly pass-heavy offense that places more of a premium on combo man/slide pass pro than run man/zone drive blocking. Not only that, the Big 12 isn't exactly known these days for it's stout defenses.

Given those things, I wonder how well his skillset translates to a division like the NFCE where 2 and 3 technique DT's are beasts and running is an absolute must. He'd be better suited to a team like the Broncos or the Saints, in an offense that uses a lot of shotgun sets and runs more stretch plays than we do, IMO.

I'd like to know what Zorn intends to do with the running game. If we go zone, we're going to need quicker linemen, if we go man we're going to need bigger stronger guys. That's a BIG part of who we take at 13 if we stay there.

If we go zone, we're probably going to go defense first pick. If we go man, we'll probably go OL.

Ok.........I'll bite. But here's my argument..........we did have a tempo this year. It was s---l---o---w...........and extremely predictable.

Agree.

And.........Zorn, being the guru QB coach that he is...........put ZERO emphasis on having JC vary the snap count. AT ALL!!! I'm not a fan of Campbell, and I feel he isn't developing at an acceptable rate, but you're seriously telling me he doesn't understand the value of a hard count?

Never played QB at any level, but what I've observed, if accurate, is that a hard count is one of those intangibles that some have, and some don't. Not every QB in the NFL can use one effectively -- in fact, most cannot. Those who can really bark one out, ie Peyton Manning, are the exceptions, not the rule. Additionally, if I had to guess I'd say with all the things Zorn knew he would have to rework about JC, teaching him a hard count is probably way down on that list. It's not something that will work all the time.

:2cents:

Never played QB at any level, but what I've observed, if accurate, is that a hard count is one of those intangibles that some have, and some don't. Not every QB in the NFL can use one effectively -- in fact, most cannot. Those who can really bark one out, ie Peyton Manning, are the exceptions, not the rule. Additionally, if I had to guess I'd say with all the things Zorn knew he would have to rework about JC, teaching him a hard count is probably way down on that list. It's not something that will work all the time.

I've always been of the opinion that the snap count isn't only dependent on the QB, but the rest of the team as well. If a team is disciplined they will have much more success with varying a snap count.

Sure, I think the QB needs to have an ability to vary his voice and really bark counts out, but I think there's more to it than just the QB.

I'd like to know what Zorn intends to do with the running game. If we go zone, we're going to need quicker linemen, if we go man we're going to need bigger stronger guys. That's a BIG part of who we take at 13 if we stay there.

If we go zone, we're probably going to go defense first pick. If we go man, we'll probably go OL.

If the brains of this operation actually use them, they would assemble a running game that plays to CP's strengths as a one-cut and go back. I call him a slasher. To me he's not as powerful as the really big backs like a Jacobs or McClain, but he rarely gets taken down on 1st contact and hardly ever runs for neg yds. On the flip side, he's not as elusive or game breaking as say, a Reggie Bush -- although he can make guys miss and probably still outrun some of them all the way to the house. He's kind of a tweener that way IMHO.

Knowing that, I would put together a core package of inside and outside running plays that he does best with; those decide what kind of blocking scheme we use. Then you go out and get the linemen you need, whether it's man or some kind of combo zone. What does the coach in you say, brother?

(if all that actually made sense, I should tell you that I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night :)).

I tend to agree with this assessment. The one question in the back of my mind regarding Duke is this: he is a huge OG with all the tools, BUT he played in a decidedly pass-heavy offense that places more of a premium on combo man/slide pass pro than run man/zone drive blocking. Not only that, the Big 12 isn't exactly known these days for it's stout defenses.

Given those things, I wonder how well his skillset translates to a division like the NFCE where 2 and 3 technique DT's are beasts and running is an absolute must. He'd be better suited to a team like the Broncos or the Saints, in an offense that uses a lot of shotgun sets and runs more stretch plays than we do, IMO.

Good point about the Big 12 and defenses.

Not only will he be facing the beast 2 & 3 techniques DTs of the NFCE but we know for a fact that Steve Spagnuolo and Jim Johnson love to blitz extra guys from the outside and right up the middle.

If the brains of this operation actually use them, they would assemble a running game that plays to CP's strengths as a one-cut and go back. I call him a slasher. To me he's not as powerful as the really big backs like a Jacobs or McClain, but he rarely gets taken down on 1st contact and hardly ever runs for neg yds. On the flip side, he's not as elusive or game breaking as say, a Reggie Bush -- although he can make guys miss and probably still outrun some of them all the way to the house. He's kind of a tweener that way IMHO.

Knowing that, I would put together a core package of inside and outside running plays that he does best with; those decide what kind of blocking scheme we use. Then you go out and get the linemen you need, whether it's man or some kind of combo zone. What does the coach in you say, brother?

(if all that actually made sense, I should tell you that I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night :)).

That's EXACTLY how it should be done.

Not sure if I think the brain trust is going to do it that way though. :)

Played QB in High School, and was the emergency back up QB at a division 1 school.

You're correct, in part, but the hard count is something just about anyone can learn. I agree, some do it MUCH more effectively than others, but it's not rocket science. Even a small attempt to employ a hard count certainly couldn't hurt.

I agree, it's way down on the list. There are definitely bigger fish to fry. BUT.......this is something that if worked on and implemented, could be instantly beneficial. Just my :2cents:

I've always been of the opinion that the snap count isn't only dependent on the QB, but the rest of the team as well. If a team is disciplined they will have much more success with varying a snap count.

Sure, I think the QB needs to have an ability to vary his voice and really bark counts out, but I think there's more to it than just the QB.

You are 100% correct. Without discipline on the O-line.........and the entire offense for that matter, a hard count is completely useless. If the hard count results in false starts, it would be counter-productive, to say the least.

You are 100% correct. Without discipline on the O-line.........and the entire offense for that matter, a hard count is completely useless. If the hard count results in false starts, it would be counter-productive, to say the least.

Second chest bump of the day!

*Jumping Chest Bump with NastyBoy*

Don't bet on it ... there is a malaise affecting the Skins' offense ... its the result of Coach Zorn dumbing down because of Campbell's limitations. Bradford is indeed better than Campbell right now ... his release (SB) is super quick. For that matter Tebow is better than Campbell right now ...but I really do not think he will come out this year.

Archived