Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why is a boring, unwatchable sport like soccer the most watched sport in the world?

bconngemini

The US doesn't take into soccer like the rest of the world is because geographically we're isolated. Continents like South America and Europe are complete mixing bowls of different people and cultures, and it just so happened that a simple sport like soccer appealed to all of them. With the advent of leagues that allow free competition across all the borders, and through the years of hardship by way of war-torn countries and political/cultural differences, soccer was one of the few consistencies that brought all the people together. Really though, it could have been any sport that had international appeal. The people wanted a sport that was cheap, easy to play, and appealed to everyone--no matter your race, sex, age, or income level. It just so happened to be soccer, and people fell in love with it.

And because Americans are isolated, so are our tastes in sports. We're not as exposed to many other countries and their sports. How many times have you seen Japanese baseball on TV in the US? I'm guessing you haven't. How much do Japanese love American baseball? They freaking love it. And when I went to London, I was surprised to find the English were all about American football.

The bottom line is that, if soccer were crammed down your throat, you might just fall in love with it, too. Sorta like American football. It's everywhere. Think of the same thing overseas, but with a different sport.

That's all it is.

Little skill? Have you ever played soccer? I'll guess you haven't.

I played in high school P.E., because the school administration idiots made us. And guess what? I was trucking the soccer sissies out there like Mike Sellars. I was leaving them broken, battered, and bleeding. The only skill I saw was the soccer sissies running away from me. What was so hilarious was the gym teacher coming up to me at one point saying "you need to dial it down a notch or two". LOL

I played in high school P.E., because the school administration idiots made us. And guess what? I was trucking the soccer sissies out there like Mike Sellars. I was leaving them broken, battered, and bleeding. The only skill I saw was the soccer sissies running away from me. What was so hilarious was the gym teacher coming up to me at one point saying "you need to dial it down a notch or two". LOL

You were trucking people in soccer?

You were trucking people in soccer?

Yeah, I was kinda playing by my own rules. You have to understand that this was over 25 years ago. If you tried that today, the PC police at school would have you suspended, arrested, and tried for assault.

Yeah, I was kinda playing by my own rules. You have to understand that this was over 25 years ago. If you tried that today, the PC police at school would have you suspended, arrested, and tried for assault.

So then you were playing rugby.

My point was that soccer takes much more skill than football. And it does.

I can't beleive you are seriously asking this question. Soccer is the rest of the world's past time sport. The majority of the world know's ONLY soccer. And as far as your SISSY comment, I can tell you have never played the game. I played for 13 years and I can tell you that it is not a sissy game. Soccer is one of the most demanding, physical sports around. If you don't beleive me get out there and play with people who have been playing for quite some time, you find out how unsissy the sport really is. I was more seriously injured playing soccer than I ever was playing football.

So then you were playing rugby.

He was no more playing rugby than he was playing football.

He was just barging into people and his teacher didn't stop him 'cause it was a PE class that no-one wanted to be in.

So rather than try and have fun within the rules of the game they were playing, he decided to be an ass. Well done.

And this anecdote proves that soccer is a dumb sport. :rolleyes:

He was no more playing rugby than he was playing football.

He was just barging into people and his teacher didn't stop him 'cause it was a PE class that no-one wanted to be in.

So rather than try and have fun within the rules of the game they were playing, he decided to be an ass. Well done.

And this anecdote proves that soccer is a dumb sport. :rolleyes:

Hehe. I think the anecdote proves someone ate paint chips when they were a kid.

Soccer is a skill sport than can be played by virtually ANYONE. there are people of all sizes that play professional soccer.

Unlike other so called "american" sports like Football and basketball that often have weight and size requirements (offensive line in football, center in basketball).

Every person on the field in soccer has to be skilled, and can't just benefit from size.

Its the most watched game for a reason. Just because some fickle americans have the attention span of a 5 year doesnt mean the sport sucks.

*FYI, i am an avid fan of almost all sports. I love basketball, soccer, football, baseball and hockey. This isnt just me bashing on other sports, but taking a more objective view at why soccer is loved.

The US doesn't take into soccer like the rest of the world is because geographically we're isolated. Continents like South America and Europe are complete mixing bowls of different people and cultures, and it just so happened that a simple sport like soccer appealed to all of them. With the advent of leagues that allow free competition across all the borders, and through the years of hardship by way of war-torn countries and political/cultural differences, soccer was one of the few consistencies that brought all the people together. Really though, it could have been any sport that had international appeal. The people wanted a sport that was cheap, easy to play, and appealed to everyone--no matter your race, sex, age, or income level. It just so happened to be soccer, and people fell in love with it.

And because Americans are isolated, so are our tastes in sports. We're not as exposed to many other countries and their sports. How many times have you seen Japanese baseball on TV in the US? I'm guessing you haven't. How much do Japanese love American baseball? They freaking love it. And when I went to London, I was surprised to find the English were all about American football.

The bottom line is that, if soccer were crammed down your throat, you might just fall in love with it, too. Sorta like American football. It's everywhere. Think of the same thing overseas, but with a different sport.

That's all it is.

Soccer also is treated as life over there. Soccer clubs functioned largely also as political fortresses. Rangers v Celtic, Inter v Milan, etc etc etc. There is not a single fanbase in America as hardcore as most of the fanbases for semi-pro teams over there. soccer is also a great sport b/c you don't have to be terribly athletic to be good at it.

I love the Redskins, but the only thing stopping me from becoming a truly hardcore fan of a soccer club is that all the clubs that have truly passionate fanbases are in europe, and I don't live in europe yet. in the stadium people complain about the atmosphere at Fedex. A soccer fan would complain if the loudness of the singing was only partially deafening.

Soccer is basically two 45 minute long plays (ignoring any stoppages) there is individual displays of talent but also great teamwork.

the more and more i watch soccer the more and more I become bored with the NFL because it's just too much stoppage. There can be up to 3 minutes of waiting between plays for commercials and everything and it's just ridiculous.

Baseball, don't get me starting. I don't see how that sport is interesting one bit.

Soccer and College football top it for me with the NFL a close third. Everything after that is just boring.

damnit, i dont want to go thru the whole thread but rincewind about scoring being worth more made the most sense to me.

think of it this way. a typical score in football might be 17-10, or 21-14. that's 3 scores to 2 scores.

3 goals to 2 goals isn't uncommon in soccer.

right cause the point of the game isn't to barge into people like a retard. it's about building possession and exploiting weaknesses.

just like that.

Thats really immature. The fact that you find that funny is revealing.

think of it this way. a typical score in football might be 17-10, or 21-14. that's 3 scores to 2 scores.

3 goals to 2 goals isn't uncommon in soccer.

Very good point. A score is a score. A ball crosses over a goalline resulting in points of some sort... or "a score". Just because Football scores are worth seven points, doesn't mean they are scoring more.

Nope sorry son, Soccer perceived as sucking has been around since the days of bringing Pele' to prop up the sport.

Yep, and will always be because it is inherently inferior to our sports, reflecting the nihilistic, stagnant, non-achievement oriented culture of Europe and abroad. Soccer is "popular" because people outside America are ignorant of vastly superior alternatives like baseball and football. Show a NFL game to any foreigner and see what happens to how much they like soccer, they realize the better game is in America and start watching the NFL. Just look at how successful the NFL game was in London, the world is hungry for real sports not soccer.

I did live abroad in Sicily, Spain, Germany and Italy and it still sucked those countries did embrace basketball but hey if you have only one activity,sport besides walking and riding a bike that you are reasonably good at as a country I guess they have to put 200% in backing it.

I've also lived in Brazil, Italy, Japan, Russia, Germany and England and let me tell you soccer sucks and the only reason they watch it is because they don't have the freedom to watch anything but soccer, here in America we have capitalistic freedom of choice between many sports, in other countries they long for other sports like basketball and football but have nothing but soccer, its the only sport they can afford to watch.

I've also lived in Brazil, Italy, Japan, Russia, Germany and England and let me tell you soccer sucks and the only reason they watch it is because they don't have the freedom to watch anything but soccer, here in America we have capitalistic freedom of choice between many sports, in other countries they long for other sports like basketball and football but have nothing but soccer, its the only sport they can afford to watch.

Ok, I'm calling BS on that one.

There is no way you could have even visited other countries with your xenophobic views. You wouldn't have made it back!

Archived