Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Springs Keeping His Options Open

#98QBKiller

:applause: Props to Shawn Springs for being a class act.

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Springs_Keeping_His_Options_Open_30740.jsp

Springs Keeping His Options Open

It seems every year Shawn Springs is asked if his NFL future is at safety.

The difference this offseason is that Springs actually played some safety in 2008.

He even started a game at safety when regular starter Chris Horton was sidelined with a shoulder injury late in the season.

Springs has long believed that transitioning to safety could help prolong his NFL career.

He looks at a former NFL star like Rod Woodson, who continued to play at a high level late in his career after moving to safety.

Springs knows that his future with the Redskins is not guaranteed, even for next season, but he still wants the organization to do what’s best.

Horton showed signs of developing into a solid NFL safety last season, so Springs may still fit in best at cornerback.

“I grew up in this area and I know how important this team is to this city,” Springs said. “I want them to be a winner, because I’m a fan of this team. I’m not just a player. If they ask me to [move to safety], then I’m willing to look at all my options and say, ‘You know what, that’s a natural progression for me to move to safety.’”

Springs mostly saw action at cornerback, though.

He posted 36 tackles, one sack, one interception and eight passes defended for the Redskins last season.

He missed seven games due to a calf injury that lingered most of the season. He suffered the injury in practice before the regular season opener and then re-aggravated it during a midseason practice.

When Springs was healthy, he was at the top of his game.

“You know what, it was one of those years where I struggled a little bit with my calf,” he said. “But the one thing I do know is that when I did play, I felt good enough that I could cover anybody in this league.”

Added defensive coordinator Greg Blache: “When Shawn Springs is healthy, he is a productive corner. His knowledge and professionalism, his ability to recognize formations and call things out, help the other guys--it really helps us.”

Blache said the team would re-evaluate Springs’ role in the defense once the offseason gets underway.

Springs, who joined the Redskins as a free agent from Seattle in 2004, is among several aging veterans on the defensive side of the ball.

He turns 34 years old on March 11.

Springs would not speculate whether he would be released by the Redskins this offseason, although he admitted the possibility exists. The team could generate some salary cap savings by releasing him.

“I don’t even think about it,” he said.

Springs remains deeply affected by the medical situation with his father, who is in a coma at a Dallas hospital, and the passing of Sean Taylor in 2007.

“After last year, I just take every day one day at a time,” he said. “I just go out and have fun. I go out and enjoy each day. The next day is never promised to you. So I really don’t think about the future.”

One player who does not want to see Springs leave is Fred Smoot.

"He’s more than just a teammate, he’s like a brother to me," Smoot said. " We have been through a lot, especially all the stuff we went through last year...I hope he doesn’t have to go anywhere. He means a lot. He can play a lot of different positions back there in the defensive backfield and he is always a good guy to have around.”

Springs does believe the Redskins are headed in the right direction, whether he is a part of it or not.

“I think we have a great coach in Jim Zorn and I know he really hurts when we lose,” Springs said. “I’ve had an opportunity to know Coach Zorn almost 10 years because he was the quarterbacks coach in Seattle when I was there. I think this organization is lucky to have a coach like that because he’s passionate and hard-working. He’s going to get it together.”

why would we move Springs to safety? We have our two starting safeties: Horton and Landry.

We either need to restructure/extend springs' contract or cut him.

He will count around 8 million against the cap this year....that is way too much for a guy that only plays in 8 games a season.

I'd love to extend Springs' contract for another 3 years at about 3 or 4 million a year....but I doubt he'll do that.

Sounds like someone is taking advice from their agent. Look for Springs to finally restructure his contract to count for half the cap hit with a prorated bonus over 3/4 years.

This would be the only way I see the Skins holding onto him. I do not mind him moving to safety. Put LL back at his normal position, let Horton come into his own and keep both HALL and ROGERS. Maybe Springs can then teach Smoot how to cover the inside receiver (not saying that Smoot doesn't know how, but everyone knows once Leigh was cut that Springs was the only guy that could cover the inside receiver.)

At the end of the day thats how he will get the most money, point blank. If he put up a healthy probowl year this year, he'd be singing a different tune and most definitely would want out. Since he didnt, he's gonna take what Danny will offer him, which will be more than anyone would on the market due to his current contract situation, and retire a Skin.

Talking about being a fan and I love this city...talk about a change of heart!

I've always been a Shawn Springs fan, but I'm not convinced he can be counted on. Even if he were to take a pay cut I still wouldn't trust that he could be out on the football field on a week to week basis. I felt that this past season the team really held him out, and was smart with his calf injury, and when it came time to play he simply held out. I think it's time to get younger at the position personally

When has he ever trash talked the city? The only thing that I can knock him for is being a former Cowboys fan b/c his dad played there.

he has not trashed the city. what he does do every year is refuse to rework his contract for the team, saying hey its a contract and why would i change it. he insists on doing his own workout and alludes, every offseason, that if hes back hes back, great, if not, no big deal someone he'll be successful elsewhere.

If Shawn does end up moving to Safety (FS), we have to make sure we keep C. Rogers. That would actually be a really, really, good secondary on paper.

Move Landry back at SS, but you can still use him at FS in different packages. You will also have Horton, Moore and Doughty as backups and depth. Smoot at the nickel along with Tryon (hoping he develops). And of course Hall and Rogers at Corner.

That looks great on paper. We'll see how it ends up

It's not a bad idea. Blache likes to sub his secondary in and out, and likes to throw out a 3 saftey set every once in a while.

Now, don't move Landry from FS. That's just nonsense. It is his nature position. It's what he played in HS and College. He started as a SS for the Skins because we had a freak at FS in Taylor.

Let Green go, move Springs to SS. Then you have Moore and Landry subbing in and out at FS, and Springs and Horton subbing in and out at SS. 3 Saftey set? Landry, Springs, and Horton on the field at the same time along with Rogers and Hall. With Horton in the center, that's a Nicklel type set that can stop the run.

I think the Skins should offer a 3 yr. extension at a reduced salary to alleviate the 8 mil cap hit. If he refuses, then cut him. He is a very physical corner who matches up well with big WR's, but he only plays 8 games a year because of injury. We need to keep Rogers or use him as trade bait and then sign a Dunta Robinson and resign Deangelo Hall. We still need a pure FS. Landry is a SS playing out of position. I don't know that Springs would make a good safety.

This would be the only way I see the Skins holding onto him. I do not mind him moving to safety. Put LL back at his normal position, let Horton come into his own and keep both HALL and ROGERS. Maybe Springs can then teach Smoot how to cover the inside receiver (not saying that Smoot doesn't know how, but everyone knows once Leigh was cut that Springs was the only guy that could cover the inside receiver.)

Landry's normal position is FS, why take one of our top 2 defensive players out of his normal position to move an aging injury prone CB to roam center field?

Landry is a SS playing out of position.

Check his stats, he has played FS throughout HS, College and minus 8 games in the NFL when ST21 was here.

I'm not saying he wasn't a good SS, and it's debatable whether or not he is better at SS than FS, but he is NOT a "natural SS playing out of position."

Just say'n. :cheers:

Archived