Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Norv's record in Dec/Jan

Bubble Screen

Wow, anyone else see that stat? He's 12-1 in those two months. Incredible. Yet, he gets no respect. And then you have Dallas, not winning a playoff game since 1996.:laugh:

And his only loss was to one of the greatest teams in NFL history, last year's NE bunch. And if LT had been healthy and contributed, and Rivers not been banged up, Norv might just be undefeated in Dec and Jan. At any rate, I was amazed at that stat. I never would have guessed.

Norv was never the problem here, folks.

You sir have a short memory.

If you want to blame the Dan and Vinny show for his failings then you need to rethink things. Dan was the owner for 2 seasons of Norv's tenure (one of which was a playoff season).

Maybe you are pointing the blame at Cook/Casserly???

You sir have a short memory.

If you want to blame the Dan and Vinny show for his failings then you need to rethink things. Dan was the owner for 2 seasons of Norv's tenure (one of which was a playoff season).

Maybe you are pointing the blame at Cook/Casserly???

Nope. Neither.

Talent on the field. If you don't have it, you don't win.

Norv has a talented team out there. And look what they are doing.

I'll let you draw conclusions on who to blame for not having talented teams.

I'm happy for Norv's newfound success, but let's not kid ourselves. Norv was definitely "the problem" in Washington.

A team doesn't finish a season 1-7 after a 7-1 start because of talent. That is coaching. Norv was awful here. And he was awful in Oakland. And he's had plenty of mishaps in San Diego, but luckily they are in a crappy division and for some odd reason he can somehow get his team to get up and play come December/January all of a sudden. I would be delighted to see his team beat the Steelers.

I'm happy for Norv's newfound success, but let's not kid ourselves. Norv was definitely "the problem" in Washington.

A team doesn't finish a season 1-7 after a 7-1 start because of talent. That is coaching. Norv was awful here. And he was awful in Oakland. And he's had plenty of mishaps in San Diego, but luckily they are in a crappy division and for some odd reason he can somehow get his team to get up and play come December/January all of a sudden. I would be delighted to see his team beat the Steelers.

He wasn't 1-7 after the 7-1 start but 2-6 (they finished 9-7 that year) so I'm assuming you feel the same way about Zorn then too right? His team had a 2-6 fade as well.

Not defending Norv too much but he did have the misfortune of having Casserly as his GM. Norv was not a good motivator nor leader of men, but he was not THE problem with the 90's Skins. Casserly's poor draft record was the bigger problem.

Nope. Neither.

Talent on the field. If you don't have it, you don't win.

Norv has a talented team out there. And look what they are doing.

I'll let you draw conclusions on who to blame for not having talented teams.

Duno if you can argue that Norv is doing a good job with the Chargers. One of the more talented teams and they just snuk into the playoffs in a weak division.

As far as Norv and the Redskins if you don't blame Casserly/Cook for the lack of talent (as you say you don't) then who do you blame?

Either way I'd say that Norv actually had enought talent to win on a number of occassions but his teams, as the Chargers are doing, underachieved. Unfortunately for Norv the Redskins didn't play in a weak AFC West.

He wasn't 1-7 after the 7-1 start but 2-6 (they finished 9-7 that year) so I'm assuming you feel the same way about Zorn then too right? His team had a 2-6 fade as well.

Not defending Norv too much but he did have the misfortune of having Casserly as his GM. Norv was not a good motivator nor leader of men, but he was not THE problem with the 90's Skins. Casserly's poor draft record was the bigger problem.

I had a feeling I was off on my record, but I liked the symmetry of 7-1/1-7 so I went with it. :)

But to answer your question, yes...I feel the same way about Zorn. Going 2-6 down the stretch is a huge problem, and points to lousy coaching.

I had a feeling I was off on my record, but I liked the symmetry of 7-1/1-7 so I went with it. :)

But to answer your question, yes...I feel the same way about Zorn. Going 2-6 down the stretch is a huge problem, and points to lousy coaching.

Agreed. Doesn't speak well of Zorn. But the difference is Zorn is a rookie head coach and Norv was several years into his tenure. I'd have been much more understanding of Norv had he done that in his initial season.

You and I watch a different game.
I remember, in Norv's last season here, Norv insisting that injured Brad Johnson (you know, the guy who won a SB later w/Tampa) was still our #1, while SOMEONE in our front office was pushing for Jeff George to start indefinitely. I also remember seeing TV shots on the bench during Skin's games, of an old fashioned phone labeled "Mr. Snyder". I remember our owner having meetings with "team captains" himself during the regular season.

I don't think Norv is that great, but he didn't get a fair shake here either.

Actually, you were right to being with. They did, indeed, finish 1-7 after starting 7-1 that year. Believe it was 1994.

Archived