Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Who Should get the Homefield Advantage in Playoffs?

#98QBKiller

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

There's no point in having the divisions if beating your rivals doesn't get you anything.

It will still get you a playoff spot but I think that if a wild card team has a better record (especially in the conference) they should get the home game on wildcard weekend.

I think you should have to take care of business to get the home game. The Colts could not beat out the Titans and for that, they have to fight it out on the road.

The Cardinals went 6-0 in their division and proved to be more up to the task than the Falcons with their better record. They earned their home game.

I agree that it often seems unfair, as in today's games, but you have to have the division mean something, or else whats the use in playing all year for it?

It's not San Diego and Arizona's fault, using today's examples, that they happen to be in weaker divisions. It sucks if your on the other side of the coin, but it is what it is.

These things tend to go in cycles, and sometime in the not too distant future, there's a chance the strength of the divisions will change around.

The NFL has just about the fairest and best playoff system of all pro sports, from all standpoints. TV, franchise and fan.

I'd leave well enough alone.

Hail.

Watching the Colts/Indy game, I can't help but think. The Colts finished 12-4 and the Chargers are 8-8, the Chargers got homefield advantage because they won their division, but I tend to think the Colts should have it with the better record.

What do you think?

There is nothing wrong with the current playoff system. Next.

making the playoffs should be enough for division winner

i don't like penalizing teams because they play in tough division or rewarding teams who win crap divisions

the team with the better overall record should get the home field

I totally disagree. Nothing wrong with the current system. In fact, I think two of the last three Super Bowl champs were wildcard teams. Giants and Steelers both won three straight road games to win the Super Bowl.

However, I do think the OT thing is maybe in need of change. I think each team should get at least one possession in OT. But I doubt they change that either.

making the playoffs should be enough for division winner

i don't like penalizing teams because they play in tough division or rewarding teams who win crap divisions

the team with the better overall record should get the home field

what if the team with the better overall record beat three 2-14 teams in their division twice and had the easiest schedule the entire year, playing the crappiest teams in the NFL? That's rewarding teams who have a crappy schedule.

Leave it the way it is, it's fair. Too bad for the Colts, if they were so good they would have won their division AND been able to win an away game.

There is nothing wrong with the current playoff system. Next.

When an 8-8 team gets a home game against a 12-4 team..there is ALOT wrong. It needs to be fixed. Arizona beat 3 crap teams 2 times...and was 3-7 against the restof the league....they did not deserve a home game.

They were the first 8-8 team to win their division in like 14 years. Winning a division at 8-8 is an anomaly. By not giving division winners a home game it reduces the significance of division games.

The disparity between records was extreme this year, yes, but I don't recall people gettting up in arms last year about this. Last year the 10-6 giants had to play in Tampa vs. the 9-7 Bucs. The giants had 2 opportunities to beat the cowboys in the regular season and they couldn't get it done. Therefore they lost their chance at homefield (and a bye).

A wildcard team should NEVER host a division winner in the playoffs

That's the current rule, and that's how it should stay

Besides, the wildcard team should have to pay some kind of penalty for not winning the title in their own division to begin with

A wildcard team should NEVER host a division winner in the playoffs

That's the current rule, and that's how it should stay

Besides, the wildcard team should have to pay some kind of penalty for not winning the title in their own division to begin with

So you would rather reward a team with a mediocre record in a crappy division. Its not the teams fault they play in a good division. If Arizona was in the NFC East or South they'd be under 500...still want to reward them with a home playoff game? Same team, same abilities...lousier record.

Well if you remember, the playoff format has been changed 3 times already. Before 1990, it was 5 teams. Usually, the team who won the division(used to be 3 winners), would get a bye, and the 2 wildcard teams would duke it out. The team who's record was better out, would gain that home playoff game(Redskins in 1986 did that). Now fast-forward to 1990 when the new playoff format was reviled, where the #3 seeded team would have that extra weekend to play, and the NFL allowed an extra team in. In all of that, it still awarded the #4 seeded team with an extra home game in the playoffs. Now the format has change since the NFL let Houston in, and expanded the divisions from 3 to 4. You have to award the division winner that playoff game, reguardless of the winner. If we had the old format, with the 3 division winners, San Diego would of still had that home playoff game, reguardless of their record.

;6019032']If they do this' date=' they might as well get rid of divisions and just make it the whole conference as standings. I think winning a division no matter how bad should mean a home game. Maybe after the first round they could reset the seedings.[/quote']

I was getting ready to say this. The 2nd round home teams will be right, anyway (with very very few exceptions). I would like to see the home game in the NFC/AFC championship game go with the team with the better record. An example of this is if Baltimore and S.D. end up in the championship game. I think Baltimore should get the home game because they have a better record.

what if the team with the better overall record beat three 2-14 teams in their division twice and had the easiest schedule the entire year, playing the crappiest teams in the NFL?

That would be more likely to happen to the team that won their division with the weaker record.

Winning a weak division should get you into the playoffs and that's it, unless you have a better record than the wild card team you're facing, then you get the home game.

When an 8-8 team gets a home game against a 12-4 team..there is ALOT wrong. It needs to be fixed. Arizona beat 3 crap teams 2 times...and was 3-7 against the restof the league....they did not deserve a home game.

I beg to differ. Conversely, if that 12-4 team is so better than the 8-8 team then shouldn't the 12-4 team win the game, no matter the locale?

The way its currently set up you're much more likelier to get better playoff games, too. Look at yesterday, for instance. 8-8 Arizona playing, in nearly everyone's opinion, a much better, and hotter, Falcons club. GREAT GAME!

Indy-SD. 8-8 SD hosts 12-4 Indy. Again, GREAT GAME!

Archived