Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Campbell: a deeper look into his numbers this season

No Excuses

JC made mistakes in those games sure.but did he lose those games?

He doesn't lose games but how many has he won? Team on his back won?

Nobody is saying he is entirely to blame. You speak of patience...

He's had his chance the be THE LEADER of the offense. Production and results were not there. It's high time to explore other options.

And when he got hurt last year, the offense clicked with Collins. The offense has been consistently stagnant under JC. And please, just save the excuses, I've heard them all. Let's judge JC like we judge all other players - performance. His peformance is average at best. His winning percentage as a starter is below average. Not good.

I don't blame all the losses on JC. I just know that he is only an average QB and as long as he's the starter, we are doomed to mediocrity. I just want to see the Redskins win.

Hail,

H

campbell was an MVP candidate at week 8,then what happened?

He's had his chance the be THE LEADER of the offense. Production and results were not there. It's high time to explore other options.

Just to follow up here, we really don't know how many games JC may have lost for us. It's easy to tell when a QB throws a pick to lose a game, but how many times did JC not see a wide open WR? Or simply throw to the wrong guy? Misread a defense? Fail to get rid of the ball on time? Think about this....how many times has JC made a big play with his arm? Not many. His big plays are usually scrambles. You don't win too many games like that.

As others have mentioned, when you are at the games sitting up high, you can see receivers open frequently, but JC will check down or throw into coverage. Sometimes you get that same angle on TV as well. Those decisions often cost you games.

Hail,

H

campbell was an MVP candidate at week 8,then what happened?

LOL! In your mind maybe. People I heard were talking about Portis being the MVP.

I don't know, you seem to be the expert on all that is the Great JC, so you tell me, why did JC play so poorly in the second half of the year?

I guess now you'll petition the NFL to play only 8 games for now on?

Hail,

H

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

one season with the entire team in a new scheme is not a chance.

so glad campbell will get to start next season,and the ignorant masses don't get their way.

so glad campbell will get to start next season,and the ignorant masses don't get their way.

And what will you do when the Redskins go 7 - 9 and JC has not improved? Wait, I know. You'll start the "Fire Zorn" campaign.

And then the next year when we are 5 - 11 under JC, you'll start the "Fire Cowher" campaign, and on and on the excuses will go until one day, you'll start the first Hall of Fame campaign for a QB with a winning percentage of .400.

If you want the Redskins to win, you should want the best players at each position. Clearly, we do not have a good player at the QB position right now. All evidence supports that. His record, his stats, and his play.

Hail,

H

LOL! In your mind maybe. People I heard were talking about Portis being the MVP.

I don't know, you seem to be the expert on all that is the Great JC, so you tell me, why did JC play so poorly in the second half of the year?

I guess now you'll petition the NFL to play only 8 games for now on?

Hail,

H

haha wow

jaworski called campbell his midseason MVP

pete king favored portis but also mentioned campbell

as to what happened after week 8 teams focused on the redskins biggest weakness O-line, blitz the redskins because they can't protect their QB,and their OL can't run against an 8 man front. cut off the head and you kill the snake. the skins WR's were consistently blanketed. how many times did we hear on the tv that none of the WR's had separation?

what do say happened after week 8? campbell reverted to normal?

And what will you do when the Redskins go 7 - 9 and JC has not improved? Wait, I know. You'll start the "Fire Zorn" campaign.

And then the next year when we are 5 - 11 under JC, you'll start the "Fire Cowher" campaign, and on and on the excuses will go until one day, you'll start the first Hall of Fame campaign for a QB with a winning percentage of .400.

If you want the Redskins to win, you should want the best players at each position. Clearly, we do not have a good player at the QB position right now. All evidence supports that. His record, his stats, and his play.

Hail,

H

I think it's hilarious how confident you are about the redskins sucking with campbell next season.

confident enough to wager a perma ban if the skins have a winning or losing record under campbell?

haha wow

as to what happened after week 8 teams focused on the redskins biggest weakness O-line, blitz the redskins because they can't protect their QB,and their OL can't run against an 8 man front. cut off the head and you kill the snake. the skins WR's were consistently blanketed. how many times did we hear on the tv that none of the WR's had separation?

what do say happened after week 8? campbell reverted to normal?

I think it's hilarious how confident you are about the redskins sucking with campbell next season.

confident enough to wager a perma ban if the skins have a winning or losing record under campbell?

What say me is those three hours of "sleep" I got last night are catching up to me! :cheers:

Okay, one person thought JC was the mid season MVP. Whoopy. The season is 16 games long. The WRs are not consistently blanketed. As I think I said in this thread, as others have said, when you go to the games and sit up high, like I have, you see receivers open often but JC doesn't throw it because he isn't reading the defenses correctly.

Bottom line for me is that JC has had enough time to prove himself and the proof is that he's an average QB with a less than .500 winning percentage. The one time someone took his place on offense, we clicked.

I just want to win, and JC isn't and won't get it done.

Been fun Chow, but I gotta get going.

Oh, regarding the bet. No, I don't bet against the Skins or the players. Trust me, I'll be cheering for JC. I would love to have you prove me wrong, I really would.

Hail,

H

Are you actually proud of Campbell's numbers & play?

Do you boast to your friends how wonderful he is?

I want to know.

It doesn't make sense to blame just the QB or just the coach - obviously neither one of them were very good at their job or the passing game wouldn't have been choking on it's own mediocrity.

Campbell is so cared (probably by the Gibbs regime) of throwing an INT that he NEVER looks comfortable getting rid of the ball unless he's being blitzed by ten guys. OTherwise he will hold it all day waiting for the perfect moment that never comes. He has to play with some sense of urgency, because it never shows in his body language.

I have a hard time questioning Zorn's playcalling because outside of some clock management, he did a pretty damn impressive coaching job this season. We all know this team isn't able to handle any sort of real success anyway, so the fact that they collapsed is just part of their character, not Zorns fault. He needs to bring in more of his players before I will blame him for failures of character.

OK, I was wondering who else thought Jason was an MVP candidate? I know he had 0 INTs, but other than that, who else thought he was MVP material and why? As for Jaws, he's an Eagle with a big mouth.

Are you actually proud of Campbell's numbers & play?

Do you boast to your friends how wonderful he is?

I want to know.

proud?no

have I seen improvement in JC's play? yes

do I have confidence that JC will be a better QB going into 2009 than he was going into 2008? certainly yes,the offense as well will know the scheme so things can't get any worse on offense.

It doesn't make sense to blame just the QB or just the coach - obviously neither one of them were very good at their job or the passing game wouldn't have been choking on it's own mediocrity.

Campbell is so cared (probably by the Gibbs regime) of throwing an INT that he NEVER looks comfortable getting rid of the ball unless he's being blitzed by ten guys. OTherwise he will hold it all day waiting for the perfect moment that never comes. He has to play with some sense of urgency, because it never shows in his body language.

I have a hard time questioning Zorn's playcalling because outside of some clock management, he did a pretty damn impressive coaching job this season. We all know this team isn't able to handle any sort of real success anyway, so the fact that they collapsed is just part of their character, not Zorns fault. He needs to bring in more of his players before I will blame him for failures of character.

For the last time, no one is blaming JUST Campbell.

But, you guys are blind if you don't think qb play is a concern.

For the last time, no one is blaming JUST Campbell.

But, you guys are blind if you don't think qb play is a concern.

I just want to know how they have so much confidence in him. What has he shown to prove that he is a starting caliber QB? I don't know if he is or not b/c he has yet, after all this time, to prove that he is. Is it really supposed to take this long? Are all of us really being that unreasonable to ask for a little competition? I swear, this is like beating a dead horse. We've officially come full circle...again.

It all speaks to the fact that he can't throw the deep ball well. And, he doesn't have the vertical weapons to open up the medium-deep part of the field. He has one vertical threat in Moss and a security blanket in Cooley.

He doesn't have the weapons, and he hasn't developed a deep ball [relationship] with more than one player on the roster. Ever wonder why Peyton Manning talks about the importance of throwing balls to your "go to" receivers? He has two of them. Campbell has 1/2 of one that is really a slot guy. He doesn't have a #1 or a #2 receiver IMO, and he didn't get any reps with the rookie WR's b/c they were injured during training camp.

Campbell is just blah to me, but he doesn't have the weapons around him either. I'll never make excuses for him, but again, I'm not going to pull stats and try to make a case for "this or that" and not consider all of the factors. :2cents:

"Jason Campbell Excuse Making Fan Club"?

:rotflmao:

facts aren't excues

however, the JC hater club, make up over half of the criticism, nor back up their "numbers" logically... usually leaving out important details, that changes the real meaning....

such as the lions scored more points nonsense above, when you look at the lions schedule they played some easy defenses the Skins didn't face, and against common opponents wasn't even close, but why let facts....err... excuses get in the way of a witch hunt :thumbsup:

Oh that's right! The Lions played in the Canadian Football League, and played against non-NFL talent. Yup, this is an easy and cleaver way to SPIN the story. (You people are just like the news media....they spin the facts any way you can when someone they've propped up is being investigated or criticized) It's excuse after excuse from the members of the official "Jason Campbell Excuse Makers" fan club. Hey....maybe Vinny can draft only players for the defense! Yeah, if the Skins can hold all of the opponent teams to under 10 points per game, maybe the Campbell led offense can then take off!!!!

I can't prove it or find a stat to prove it, but I think that a reason Campbell's 3rd down conversion numbers are so plain are because of the inordinately high amount of long 3rd downs the offense faced this year. Not only that, think of all of the 3 and outs. This offense struggled to find rhythm, especially on the first two downs. I don't feel like we were getting much in the way of yards after the catch from anyone but Cooley either, but hopefully that will change with the improvement of the rookie WRs. That is, after all, why they were drafted, and the WC offense just won't work well if the receivers aren't either getting good separation or breaking tackles to make yards after the catch. Also, There were definitely times when Campbell's accuracy could have improved because he was too skittish to give his receivers a chance to beat the defenders on their heals.

Oh that's right! The Lions played in the Canadian Football League, and played against non-NFL talent. Yup, this is an easy and cleaver way to SPIN the story. (You people are just like the news media....they spin the facts any way you can when someone they've propped up is being investigated or criticized) It's excuse after excuse from the members of the official "Jason Campbell Excuse Makers" fan club. Hey....maybe Vinny can draft only players for the defense! Yeah, if the Skins can hold all of the opponent teams to under 10 points per game, maybe the Campbell led offense can then take off!!!!

Different offensive philosophies achieve different statistical results obviously but they aren't good for comparison of success. The Redskins run a ball control offense that will never put up buckets of points because its not designed to.

The Saints were the top offense in the league, but did it win them any more games? I believe they will be picking right after us in this upcoming draft.

The bottom line is the statistic is flawed, and Vishal's argument has many flaws. There are too many variables that affect yards per pass. Scheme, Line play, etc. If you do not have protection to go deeper, then it is not possible.

We cannot discount the 6-2 start. I believe Campbells drop off in play was attributed to scheme and line play. How can Campbell go from being in the MVP talks to a horrible QB? Doesn't happen.

He has improved every year, while facing the challenge of learning a new offense. Under his performance, we should be 10-6. He brought us back against Rams and 49ers, only to have the defense lose it. 10-6 is good no matter how you cut it. I believe he will continue to improve with more time in the offense.

It all speaks to the fact that he can't throw the deep ball well. And, he doesn't have the vertical weapons to open up the medium-deep part of the field. He has one vertical threat in Moss and a security blanket in Cooley.

He doesn't have the weapons, and he hasn't developed a deep ball [relationship] with more than one player on the roster. Ever wonder why Peyton Manning talks about the importance of throwing balls to your "go to" receivers? He has two of them. Campbell has 1/2 of one that is really a slot guy. He doesn't have a #1 or a #2 receiver IMO, and he didn't get any reps with the rookie WR's b/c they were injured during training camp.

Campbell is just blah to me, but he doesn't have the weapons around him either. I'll never make excuses for him, but again, I'm not going to pull stats and try to make a case for "this or that" and not consider all of the factors. :2cents:

Good points Mouth - very good...

I also appreciate the objectiveness.

Archived