Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SKINS pick...DE Everett Brown highlights

MAATopDogg

He's the most dominating college defensive player I've seen in person.

Offensive lines either had to gameplan heavily for him and constantly put extra protection on his side, or they got their QBs and RBs destroyed at least a few times a game.

He pretty much single handedly killed Maryland.

Like I said though, we need DT help more than anything, and I'd really prefer to see Brown go to a Cover 2 team. His best move is his inside spin move, and he could be a little like Dwight Freeney with the right pieces around him to help him out. I don't see him being worth as much here on our "play the run first" type of scheme.

I agree. A DT to breakdown the pocket would really help out Andre Carter and Jason Taylor. So would Blache sending an LB/CB/S on a blitz once in a while. The teams that get the most sacks almost always rush more than 4 at a time.

I would like to see us get more sacks but our defense is still very good at what it does...stop the run and play very good coverage. We don't create a ton of turnovers but we force more 3 & outs than almost any team in the league.

But regardless, I'd like to see us invest in protecting our QB/opening run lanes first though.

this really isnt directed at anyone in this thread, as i didnt read a ton of posts predraft last year but remembered how 99% of posts i did read were we need a big WR and a good rushing DE. funny to see after this year we can drop taylor and not need a rushing DE but a good DT..again not directed at anyone just funny how people either dont know what they are saying or just change their minds so fast.

I know we need help and there is NO Doubt that this guy would be tremendous in the NFL but its not what we need. However since we draft BPA anything can happen. The skins need to get younger along the line and this would be a good step in the right direction but I agree with the majority here. We absolutely NEED pressure up the middle. Gholston and Monte get some pressure sometimes but not often enough.

this really isnt directed at anyone in this thread, as i didnt read a ton of posts predraft last year but remembered how 99% of posts i did read were we need a big WR and a good rushing DE. funny to see after this year we can drop taylor and not need a rushing DE but a good DT..again not directed at anyone just funny how people either dont know what they are saying or just change their minds so fast.
I think a lot of people have been preaching to get DT for awhile.

Alan Branch, Amobi Okoye, even Seddrick Ellis have had their own threads in recent years.

I was a big Okoye fan, for me it was between him or Landry for BPA on defense if we were going to go that way in 07.

Plus, people were still hoping Golston and Montgomery could show more than they have by this point. Golston in particular had a pretty solid rookie year in 06, but put on weight in 07 and didn't play as well getting pressure, and wasn't terribly impressive this past season either.

Now more than ever DT is a glaring need on our defense.

We need, in no particular order, a MONSTER DT (or Two), Outside LB (or two), Right Offensive Tackle, Guard, Center, A LEGIT wide Receiver (Sorry, but we just dont know if the rookies will ever cut it and we dont have much now except for Moss), Running Back (Portis wore down as the year went on and Betts wasnt very effective), Punter, and POSSIBLY a Kicker. I think we can get by at DE for another season if we can get some push up the middle. Yes guys, A Heck of a lot of holes to fill!!! Probably wont fill them all in one offseason and more than likely we will stink it up again next year unfortunately, which will probably cost Zorn his job. But hey....this is the NFL where

1-15 one year translates into division winners the next who who knows? All I know is Vinny has some SERIOUS work to do on this team to give Zorn the talent he needs to turn this thing around.

Actually, upon some more thought, I think we CAN do all of this in one offseason. Heres how...

1. DT....Griffin is gone, Golston should be gone also. That saves us some

$$$$ there but I would not use it on Haynesworth. He would

cost so much he would handcuff us to do anything else. Instead,

we should trade back a few spots, grab a DT there plus a 2nd

round pick and possibly try to sign a guy like Marcus Tubbs in FA.

2. LB..... Sign Angelo Crowell in FA. Would probably come cheap coming

off of an injury and has played in a similar system in Buffalo. Use

5th round pick to grab another LB for depth. Send Marcus

Washington packing saving us some more $$$.

3. RT.... Jansen is done! Heyer hasnt proven he can play RT so we bite

the bullet and spend major $$$ for Jordan Gross. Problem solved

for 4-5 years! Not sure though of the cap ramifications for

cutting Jansen, but he is essentially taking a roster spot that we

could/should use for depth.

4. G.... We MAY have one already in Chad Rinehart. Buges has really

sang his praise but mysteriously he never saw the field so who

in the heck knows? This is one of those ones where you hope

that the guy is the real deal. Let Kendall go and keep Thomas

even though Kendall is a lot better Guard at this point in their

careers, cutting Thomas would KILL us on the cap.

5. C..... Rabach is average at best and we need an upgrade. We can grab

a good one in the 3rd round as they tend to not go as high as

other Offensive linemen. Keep Rabach for veteran depth.

6. WR... Gotta find one in FA. No more trying to draft one and waiting on

them to develop. If we have to spend the big $$$ here then we

again have to bite the bullet and do it. I think no one needs to

be reminded how BAD our offense was with no real threat at WR

other than Moss. Cut Thrash,and look long and hard at someone

like Houshmandazah. Possibly try to move Randel El for a draft

pick if it doesnt kill us on the cap.

7. RB.... I'm not talking about a starter here (unless they ship Portis out),

which is very unlikely due to the cap ramifications. Use that

2nd round pick we will hypothetically add in a trade down

scenario and grab one.

8. P or K...... Both are average, well MAYBE, but neither is any kind of a

gem. Use the 7th round pick on best one left on the board

and see who goes undrafted (usually several very good

ones at both positions).

Okay, there you have it. Rebuilt team in one offseason. If you're out there

Vinny, take notes. Of course theres no guarantees how things would turn out, but I think this scenario would work within the cap. This also would mean that we would not need to trade Rogers which I feel would be the stupidest move we could make right now. Cut Shawn Springs.

I preached both a big possession WR and a pass-rushing DE and I still stand by both.

I specifically wanted Malcolm Kelly too and I still stand by that. I have a lot of faith in our rookie WRs. I knew that they probably wouldn't set the league on fire during their rookie campaigns but once they blossom we'll be very happy that we drafted them.

And I was happy about the Jason Taylor trade when it happened. You can't tell me that the same Jason Taylor of the last 5-10 years isn't worth a 2nd round pick.

I really hope he comes back next season because he was nowhere near 100 percent this season. He was still draining puss from his calf before every game at the end of the season.

Blache moved him around a lot in the Philly game and it paid off. That's how he was used in Miami and that's when he's the most effective.

I'm really hoping he comes back healthy because there's no way he went from stud to dud in one season. If he comes back healthy and Blache continues to use him like that you'll see the old Jason Taylor and I would almost guarantee that.

I think a lot of people have been preaching to get DT for awhile.

Alan Branch, Amobi Okoye, even Seddrick Ellis have had their own threads in recent years.

I was a big Okoye fan, for me it was between him or Landry for BPA on defense if we were going to go that way in 07.

Plus, people were still hoping Golston and Montgomery could show more than they have by this point. Golston in particular had a pretty solid rookie year in 06, but put on weight in 07 and didn't play as well getting pressure, and wasn't terribly impressive this past season either.

Now more than ever DT is a glaring need on our defense.

I remember the Alan Branch bandwagon. I think he's been a bust to this point though. Okoye had an awesome rookie year, not sure what happened this year, looks like he didn't start every game so maybe he was injured?

I still really like Anthony Montgomery, he's solid against the run and does get pretty good penetration once in a while, but we definitely need to get some more help there.

I preached both a big possession WR and a pass-rushing DE and I still stand by both.

I specifically wanted Malcolm Kelly too and I still stand by that. I have a lot of faith in our rookie WRs. I knew that they probably wouldn't set the league on fire during their rookie campaigns but once they blossom we'll be very happy that we drafted them.

And I was happy about the Jason Taylor trade when it happened. You can't tell me that the same Jason Taylor of the last 5-10 years isn't worth a 2nd round pick.

I really hope he comes back next season because he was nowhere near 100 percent this season. He was still draining puss from his calf before every game at the end of the season.

Blache moved him around a lot in the Philly game and it paid off. That's how he was used in Miami and that's when he's the most effective.

I'm really hoping he comes back healthy because there's no way he went from stud to dud in one season. If he comes back healthy and Blache continues to use him like that you'll see the old Jason Taylor and I would almost guarantee that.

I remember the Alan Branch bandwagon. I think he's been a bust to this point though. Okoye had an awesome rookie year, not sure what happened this year, looks like he didn't start every game so maybe he was injured?

I still really like Anthony Montgomery, he's solid against the run and does get pretty good penetration once in a while, but we definitely need to get some more help there.

no i understand i wanted kelly and was happy with the taylor aquisition although i think we overpaid as far as draft picks go.

I think if we got everette brown, he could be a stand up rusher and a regular DE. He is 6' 4 255 lbs. and probably can gain 10-15 lbs without losing much speed. A 6' 4 270lb DE isnt that undersized. He isnt bad against the run either. He has good reaction and insticts.

according to redskins.com, andre carter is also 6'4" 252lbs

no i understand i wanted kelly and was happy with the taylor aquisition although i think we overpaid as far as draft picks go.

Yeah I can agree with that. I think maybe a 3rd would've been better suited but then again if he were healthy this year and had a 10+ sack season I may change my mind lol.

I'd love to get Oher/Robinson in the 1st.

Somehow trade down in the 1st and pick up a 2nd and take Raji. He's prjected in the 2nd.

Take C.J. Spiller in the 3rd as the change of pace/speed back.

Trade Betts for a 4th and take Center Max Unger from Oregon or Shippley from Penn St.

5th round take the LB from BC- Herzlick (if he comes out as a JR)

6th round take another O-linemen.

Free agency sign Bironas or Graham, Lechler as the Punter and Crowell at OLB.

We need to stockpile linemen on both sides of the ball in this draft, the best offensive tackle/guard on the board with our first pick and then best player on the board between a center/other o-line, defensive tackle, and defensive end. If we do trades, I would rather do trades for more picks than get players or big free agent signings, those just really don't work out.

This defense doesn't need a DE. Carter, Taylor, et al would have looked a whole lot better had there been any kind of forceful push coming from the nose, one and three-tech. The d-line's problems are not coming from the edges, it lies in the middle, especially with Griff aging and Blache keeping Monty behind Golston.

He's the most dominating college defensive player I've seen in person.

Offensive lines either had to gameplan heavily for him and constantly put extra protection on his side, or they got their QBs and RBs destroyed at least a few times a game.

He pretty much single handedly killed Maryland.

If dude is that great and he has a good combine, he will be gone long before we pick at 13....

After watching Ngata turn Reed and Lewis back into elite defensive players, I'd almost rather draft DT first. This Raji guy kinda gives me that Ngata feeling.

You are a smart man my friend. Ngata has extended Lewis' career at least another 3 years. Why? because Ngata takes on double teams and Lewis is free to roam once again and be the Lewis of old. The same could happen to Fletcher.

If dude is that great and he has a good combine, he will be gone long before we pick at 13....
Well FSU guys almost always have good combines.

But I don't know that he'll go top 10.

There are a lot of top tackles, a couple QBs, Orakpo from Texas is a great DE prospect, Crabtree...Brown will probably go between 10 and 20 I think. Depends on what a team really needs from a top draft pick and what kind of schemes they run.

Taylor Mays is currently overrated based on his athletic ability and the crazy numbers he's going to post at the combine, but some teams will still look at him as a 1st round pick just because they need a hard hitting strong safety to play in the box (like say, the Lions at #20), so he has a chance to get picked before some other guys who may have better overall value.

If I ran a Cover 2 defense I'd look heavily at Brown with my 1st round pick to be a stud pass rushing DE. For our defense though, I don't think he's worth the 13th pick if we stay there.

I'd love to get Oher/Robinson in the 1st.

Somehow trade down in the 1st and pick up a 2nd and take Raji. He's prjected in the 2nd.

Take C.J. Spiller in the 3rd as the change of pace/speed back.

Trade Betts for a 4th and take Center Max Unger from Oregon or Shippley from Penn St.

5th round take the LB from BC- Herzlick (if he comes out as a JR)

6th round take another O-linemen.

Free agency sign Bironas or Graham, Lechler as the Punter and Crowell at OLB.

:notworthy:notworthy

Shoot, if we did all that (especially being able to steal Raji in the 2nd), I'd send Vinny a thank you card and pound alcohol all night following the first day of the draft in celebration.

That's probably the most ideal scenario I've seen yet.

But I don't know that we can trust Cerrato to get something like this done.

:notworthy:notworthy

Shoot, if we did all that (especially being able to steal Raji in the 2nd), I'd send Vinny a thank you card and pound alcohol all night following the first day of the draft in celebration.

That's probably the most ideal scenario I've seen yet.

But I don't know that we can trust Cerrato to get something like this done.

It's a major pipe dream, but it would be the perfect scenerio to get the team back on the right track. I think Herzlick would be a steal. Watching MD football and seeing BC games here, the guy is all over the place, creating turnovers, tackling for loss and getting sacks. He truly has a motor that won't quit. I know that's cliche, but he really does.

according to the first round mock draft thread raji is projected to go in the first. i would love for us to be able to get him and one of the dominant ot's in the first but i think that is just a nice fantasy scenario. this draft looks really deep along the offensive line so we should be able to score a nice upgrade or two this year.

according to the first round mock draft thread raji is projected to go in the first. i would love for us to be able to get him and one of the dominant ot's in the first but i think that is just a nice fantasy scenario. this draft looks really deep along the offensive line so we should be able to score a nice upgrade or two this year.

True. Some have him in the first, other say he drops to the high 2nd. Depends on which mock you look at.

guy is relentless at rushing the passer, a little pretty stong. Needs to put on some weight to be a DE in the NFL though.

He is 6' 4" 252 pounds, of course size does matter, but "he got quickness like nobody's business"

Quickness is what separates a Champ to a Chump

F=MA either you heavy or you quick

He is 6' 4" 252 pounds, of course size does matter, but "he got quickness like nobody's business"

Quickness is what separates a Champ to a Chump

F=MA either you heavy or you quick

He does seem to be extremely quick. I think the size issue is more about being a possible liability against the run. Anyway, another thing that really stood out to me about him is the array of moves he has and uses. Most college DEs tend to use pure talent and athletic ability so tend to be mostly just edge rushers or bull rushers, depending on size and speed. He has the speed but also uses tons of moves. Spins, swim moves, starting high then going low in his pads around a Tackle, bull rushing and then using that Reggie White move. Very impressive.

Archived