Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BS in the workplace

Spaceman Spiff

I'm talking about stuff that gets in your way. Bull**** that needs to be done but is annoying, has no point, etc.

I'm a real estate agent, and I work on a team. My main job is to help get my team listings by getting my team leaders foot in the door...I prospect every day, I cold call, I love it. I'm good at it. If it were up to me, I'd have a call sheet with thousands of numbers of potential prospects, lock myself in my office and make calls all day long. No one would bother me, I'd be productive and get business.

Well, come to find out today I have to get online to do this stupid real estate ethics course and it needs to be done by Jan 1. I don't know why I need to do it, I'm just told that I have to. I have to dig up my real estate license number in order to register....I don't know my license number, all I know is that I have one and I do the stupid boring bull**** continuing education classes every two years to keep it.

So I've got to waste an hour or two with this dumb online ethics course. The page is hard as hell to navigate, I want to get it started and over with but before that I'm blasted with surveys and other crap that has no bearing on my professional future. It's just annoying, I've got a ton of other things on my plate for the next few days and this is really the least of my worries.

On top of that, we're switching lockbox systems in Northern VA in January and I've gotta take a day to go over to the Dulles Expo Center in Chantucky and take a class on how to use the new ones that are coming out. Apparently sliding a keycard into a lockbox in order to gain access to a house requires 4 hours in the middle of my ****ing day.

Sorry for the rant, and I'm sure you don't care, but I just needed to get it off my chest and figured that some of you other Tailgate regulars have similar things in your professions that annoy the living piss out of you and wanted to vent as well.

I'm talking about stuff that gets in your way. Bull**** that needs to be done but is annoying, has no point, etc.

I'm a real estate agent, and I work on a team. My main job is to help get my team listings by getting my team leaders foot in the door...I prospect every day, I cold call, I love it. I'm good at it. If it were up to me, I'd have a call sheet with thousands of numbers of potential prospects, lock myself in my office and make calls all day long. No one would bother me, I'd be productive and get business.

Well, come to find out today I have to get online to do this stupid real estate ethics course and it needs to be done by Jan 1. I don't know why I need to do it, I'm just told that I have to. I have to dig up my real estate license number in order to register....I don't know my license number, all I know is that I have one and I do the stupid boring bull**** continuing education classes every two years to keep it.

So I've got to waste an hour or two with this dumb online ethics course. The page is hard as hell to navigate, I want to get it started and over with but before that I'm blasted with surveys and other crap that has no bearing on my professional future. It's just annoying, I've got a ton of other things on my plate for the next few days and this is really the least of my worries.

On top of that, we're switching lockbox systems in Northern VA in January and I've gotta take a day to go over to the Dulles Expo Center in Chantucky and take a class on how to use the new ones that are coming out. Apparently sliding a keycard into a lockbox in order to gain access to a house requires 4 hours in the middle of my ****ing day.

Sorry for the rant, and I'm sure you don't care, but I just needed to get it off my chest and figured that some of you other Tailgate regulars have similar things in your professions that annoy the living piss out of you and wanted to vent as well.

I'm in outside sales for The Home Depot and we recently had to take an ethics course last week. Lots of fun but I guess you have to do it. Yeah cold calls are lots of fun. I don't make alot of cold calls, but I do alot lot generating leads in person. It truly is a craft and there are people out there that are great at it. Now about liking it??? Yeah I don't find many people who like it.

My mom is a former real estate agent and used to complain about the same stuff. She'd have to attend these seminars and classes that had little bearing on what she actually did, but she would have to drive miles and waste hours because they were mandatory.

Rant away, brother!

Every job has its moments like what you describe...

I love teaching. However, there is so much BS that goes along with it. Meetings, calling parents, meetings, did I mention meetings?

I am also a Sped teacher and there is so much nonsensical paperwork that it becomes annoying. Again, I love my job and do very well, but the other stuff takes away from the overall job.

My brother had what would have been my dream job, he was a professional baseball player, but he had the BS as well. Meetings, coaches trying to get into your head, the lack of real friendships (since most of the guys are competing for spots) and other things most people don't consider. It seems fun to think that you could make a living by playing a game, but the reality is that it is no longer a game at that point, it is a job with all the same nonsense as everyone else...

I feel your frustration, man, I really do. But in these trying times, you might oughta be thankful you have a job. That's what I try and tell myself when things start to bother me at my work.

this is EXACTLY why I havent quit my job a thousand times as well. I know how badly my friends DO have it and try to remain thankful and humble.

I feel your frustration, man, I really do. But in these trying times, you might oughta be thankful you have a job. That's what I try and tell myself when things start to bother me at my work.

I'm thankful every day.

Still doesn't mean I can't get annoyed with stuff that gets in my way of being productive and getting deals done.

I'm thankful every day.

Still doesn't mean I can't get annoyed with stuff that gets in my way of being productive and getting deals done.

Nah, I wasn't trying to come off that you were. My bad. I was just trying to let you in on how I handle things when they don't go so well. Sorry for the confusion. I am very fortunate in the job that I have has job security. I know there are millions out there that aren't as unfortunate. It's sad.

I hear you. Even when your a mafia hitman like me we have to put up with that crap. Freakin' staying in the office writing a report on the hit we did on the Jersey Shores this weekend. I don't even feel like fat Tony reads that ****. I'd rather be cleaning out my gun and sipping a tall one. For us our CBT is spending some time playing "Spot the NARC..." we need to have 12 hours of that **** done every month, as it's updated with the latest and greatest intel. Sheeeet... I just want to kill people...

I did an enlistment in the Air Force, so I'm assuming that anyone here with some military experience has probably dealt with their share of asinine policies.

Having said that - I separated almost a year ago and I can honestly say that I can't think of one thing in my current job that I've really been annoyed with. I am one of the rare people who actually doesn't mind going to work. I'm thankful as hell for that.

When I worked as a respiratory therapist in the hospital setting, we had tons of this crap to do every year. There were competency exams (as if doing our job every day without killing someone wasn't enough proof), hospital policy training/tests, continuing clinical education, inservices for new equipment....well, you get the idea.

If you're lucky, you may be able to use some of the same tactics we did to get through this crap faster. First, we'd shamelessly share answers...'er "collaborate". :D After a couple of people had taken the exam, the answers would circulate around the department at the speed of light.

For the courses where they make you go through each page you can just click through them quickly without even reading them. Once you're at the end, just plug in the answers and be on your way.

I don't think most employers really care about this crap. All they want to do is to be able to say that they have a training/testing program to prove compliance with regulations so as to take themselves off the hook.

Archived