Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

David Carr and The NY Giants (Skins Related)

jrfriedm

So I'm watching the second half of the NY Giants and Minn Vikings game, and I'm watching David Carr, the Giants back up, carve up the starting defense of the Vikings, and I can't help but think that the Giants backup QB is better than the Washington Redskins starting QB.

I mean really, how sad is that? A quarter back that got run out Houston, when they were the worst team in the league. I QB that was supposed to be ruined by all the hits he had taken. QB that was suppose to be the epitomy of holding the ball to long, gets rid of the ball faster than Jason Campbell. Doesn't stare down one reciever or watch the rush come at him like Jason Campbell. Is not afraid to throw the ball down the field like Jason Campbell. Can hit a reciever in stride unlike Jason Campbell.

In closing, the Washington Redskins starting QB would be at best the #3 guy on the NY Giants. :doh:

*The purpose of this thread is to compare Jason Campbell to David Carr, the back up QB for the NY Giants, not to say if Colt Brennan should be the starter.*

Am watching the same game. Tough to make a global assessment of a qb based on a quarter of a football game.

Carr was drafted with a lot of hype and he turned out to be a dissapoinment, I get the idea here is to take a shot at Campbell, but to conclude that Carr's whole career is all of a sudden revived thanks to a couple of good drives seems a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

This is a ridiculous comparison, because the backup QB for almost all of the top tier teams is going to look better than an average teams quarterback..that person will have more time to throw, better players around him, ect. its not a fair comparison at all, its like comparing apples and oranges.

If you think David Carr is better than Jason Campbell, then you probably have watched as many NFL games as I have fingers.

He's the one who also constantly said Rogers was a bust, calling him "no D" Rogers.

BTW, Carr's been hitting wide-open receivers and is playing behind a much better line. Helps if you watch the game rather than the stat line.

I just cannot come to blame JC 100%. Just look around the whole league. You've got rookies QB and coach tandems having better results than us and it's partly due to play-calling. It's the play-callers job (Zorn) to put guys in position to be open. Every Sunday you've got no-name WR's, TE's, RB's being put in wide open spaces on the field. We hardly ever seen a Skin without an opposing player 1 step away and we've got some talent and speed (Portis, Moss, Cooley, ARE)

You guys are amazing. David Carr struggled with the Texans, does anyone remember that? Why was that?

THE FREAKING OLINE.

Are you guys for real? Are you guys being serious, or is this all a big joke? You are watching a Giants team that is very complete, like the Patriots. You change out a good QB for a QB who is not as good, they are still going to be very successful. On offense, specifically (both have great defenses), it starts with their OFFENSIVE LINES. It continues with GREAT COACHING.

David Carr would look HORRIBLE behind our offensive line in the second half of the season.

He's the one who also constantly said Rogers was a bust, calling him "no D" Rogers.

BTW, Carr's been hitting wide-open receivers and is playing behind a much better line. Helps if you watch the game rather than the stat line.

That's very on point IMO in terms of Carr's career. In Houston at the time their O line was a mess and arguably effected his play. Google Carr and you'll find articles about Carr and the Texans porous O line. Whereas the Giants O line is arguably the best in the NFL.

Look at it from that point of view, in a weird way Carr's play could be used to BACK Campbell in that the supporting cast you play with DOES matter.

Am watching the same game. Tough to make a global assessment of a qb based on a quarter of a football game.

Carr was drafted with a lot of hype and he turned out to be a dissapoinment, I get the idea here is to take a shot at Campbell, but to conclude that Carr's whole career is all of a sudden revived thanks to a couple of good drives seems a bit of a stretch in my opinion.

This is a ridiculous comparison, because the backup QB for almost all of the top tier teams is going to look better than an average teams quarterback..that person will have more time to throw, better players around him, ect. its not a fair comparison at all, its like comparing apples and oranges.

You all have your heads so far up yours, Zorns and Campbell butts it's not even funny.

The Giants are currently playing their second string O-line against the Vikings 1st string. Carr is running for his life on almost every play and is still finding away to throw the ball down field and move the chains.

No teams back up should be better than a playoff hopefull (espcially when comeing off of a playoff season) starting QB.

I do call Carlos "No D" Rogers that, and he has proven time and time again that he has no D in his name or in him.

You guys are amazing. David Carr struggled with the Texans, does anyone remember that? Why was that?

THE FREAKING OLINE.

Come on, man.

David Carr wasn't good because he was not effective at using the pocket and held onto the ball too long. Even when he put up some decent numbers there, he was still getting sacked a ton.

This is why the "it's the O-line" people have no credibility. You simply make an assertion and then refuse to listen to any facts after your argument is debunked.

Interestingly, even with Andre Johnson, he never threw more than 16 Tds and he got dumped even though he had a 68 comp pct and was sacked 'only'

41 TIMES that year. He also had an 82.1 rating for all you stats freaks.

The following year after the David Carr era, Schaub and Rosenfels were sacked only 22 times.

Wonder why that might be, "it's the O-line's fault" people?

from scout.com

http://hou.scout.com/2/547783.html

The offensive line has needed a major overhaul, and the Texans have made very positive steps in this off-season to bring about the necessary change. The Texans have brought in some new quality coaches, including assistant head coach/offense Mike Sherman. This year the offensive line will also be moving to a zone defense, hoping to give better protection to the most sacked quarterback in the NFL, Texans QB David Carr.

In order to make this new scheme an effective one for the Texans, the offensive line has been pushed to lose weight and improve their quickness. The Texans O-Line must be first on the block

You all have your heads so far up yours, Zorns and Campbell butts it's not even funny.

The Giants are currently playing their second string O-line against the Vikings 1st string. Carr is running for his life on almost every play and is still finding away to throw the ball down field and move the chains.

No teams back up should be better than a playoff hopefull (espcially when comeing off of a playoff season) starting QB.

I do call Carlos "No D" Rogers that, and he has proven time and time again that he has no D in his name or in him.

What back-up OL are in for the Giants? I still see starters. As much as you want to leg-hump Carr right now, you ignore the Giants are only up by 2, and have scored 17, which is lower than their season average, and 10 of those 17 came when Eli was in.

Honestly, you can't even tell how flawed your assesment is given that it is based off a quarter and a half of play. You also inadvertently just supported the claims the OL has hampered JC by bringing up how good you think Carr is doing now.

Rogers has been great overall this season, especially considering he originally wasn't even supposed to come back until the midpoint. You were wrong about him, and you don't even realize how foolish you look trying to claim Rogers isn't good now rather than admit you were wrong.

It looks like you've got your head shoved way up your own butt, and you're trying to tell all of us it smells like roses in there.

So in one year, between coaches and line adjustments (in spite of offensive linemen often taking more than one training camp to get right) the Texans pass protection improved that much, eh?

What about the 1000+ more yards and TD production? If it was offensive line, why did they get rid of Carr in the first place? Because if they were just biding time until the offensive line 'got fixed' wouldn't they have kept the guy who was coming off a 68 comp pct and an over 80 QB rating and had at least brought down his sack total?

Or did they do what a lot of teams try to do and fix line issues (who doesn't try to improve line play?) and they also knew they needed a new QB who wouldn't make the line look worse than it was ? Those guys (Spencer and Winston) were drafted in 2006 (and played.) And they were third rounders and it didn't make that much of an impact.

BTW, couldn't I find articles from any struggling franchise's web site to show how they were addressing offensive line?

Come on, man.

David Carr wasn't good because he was not effective at using the pocket and held onto the ball too long. Even when he put up some decent numbers there, he was still getting sacked a ton.

This is why the "it's the O-line" people have no credibility. You simply make an assertion and then refuse to listen to any facts after your argument is debunked.

Interestingly, even with Andre Johnson, he never threw more than 16 Tds and he got dumped even though he had a 68 comp pct and was sacked 'only'

41 TIMES that year. He also had an 82.1 rating for all you stats freaks.

The following year after the David Carr era, Schaub and Rosenfels were sacked only 22 times.

Wonder why that might be, "it's the O-line's fault" people?

Maybe because there is only 1 starting OL, LG Chester Pitts, who started a full season BEFORE Schaub was starting QB in Houston in 2007. The rest of the starters are either new to the team this year, or played sparingly, if at all, before Schaub was the QB. In other words, Schaub played behind a different line than what Carr played behind.

Archived