Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Slumdog Millionare

capitolpunishment

I was a little confused with the orphanage scene until it was mentioned later that the blind kids make double. At first I thought the dude was gonna start freebasing or something.

And yea I actually wondered about the English. I have no idea how common it actually is in India and wouldn't have guessed the game show would be in English. Also that host was a complete douchebag.

I thought the story overall was relatively predictable (not in a bad way) but being set in India made it unique.

I've heard the book (Q&A I think) is very good.

Well its common in India now, but back then in the area they were in those kids werent educated. NO WAY they picked up English. The host is actually a major Bollywood actor and plays that role of action hero/******* alot. And yes, the movie was your predictable Indianesque movie. Hero Heroine tale, guy gets the girl in the end. Throw in a fight scene and wammo, youve got yourself an Indian movie.

Well its common in India now, but back then in the area they were in those kids werent educated. NO WAY they picked up English. The host is actually a major Bollywood actor and plays that role of action hero/******* alot. And yes, the movie was your predictable Indianesque movie. Hero Heroine tale, guy gets the girl in the end. Throw in a fight scene and wammo, youve got yourself an Indian movie.

don't forget the sweet dance number at the end!!! :)

My girlfriend loved it. She left India when she was two and so she's always trying to learn about the culture over there.

I've seen pictures of her when she first arrived; she definitely had it rough being a baby orphan over there.

I was born here, but have always embraced my Indian heritage. I try to get myself in to the culture over there as much as possible by watching Indian movies. It made me feel good to not have to use the subtitles to understand what they were saying as kids. :D

I saw this movie before it started getting all Oscar/movie awards buzz. One of my friends told me to check it out, having seen Indian movies before, I was a little hesitant. But I did see it, it was a good movie overall.

It essentially provides a small window to understand the culture in South Asia. You learn about what exactly a "slum" is and so many other things.

So parts are a little iffy, but overall its prolly one of the best I have seen in awhile:)

I saw this movie yesterday and wow, what a great movie it is!!

i hope it wins it all. i think it deserves the award. danny boyle is the man and jamal in the movie did a great job.

oh yea, and latika all grown up was sexy as hell. it was her first movie and i'm happy for her that she landed such a great role

fyi for those wondering about how the brothers learned to speak english.

in the book apparently jamal and salim were adopted by a priest and he taught them english. he also sexually abused one or both of them.

also in the book salim and jamal were best friends, not brothers.

i didn't read it but this is what i've heard from people who did read the book.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally saw this last night. Very good movie even if it is predictible. Spoiler, with question for those that have seen it below:

I thought the movie would have been better if he got the final question wrong. I thought the effect of everybody else being bummed out about him not winning while he was still ecstatic to get his 'prize' would have been much more profound. What says you?

to the spoiler question, Indian movies still love to have a happy ending, that's what people want to see. For all the strides they have made economically and socially, their movies are still not the most "dramatic". While this was made by a British guy, he still probably considered that.

I like the fact he won it all.

I think they made a point to make sure it was a happy ending.

I liked him winning it all as well.... It pisses me off when there are not happy endings in movies.

My point was that it would still have been a happy ending, he would have found what he was looking for. I think the contrast of everybody being sad he lost while he sat there happier than ever would have made a great ending.

My point was that it would still have been a happy ending, he would have found what he was looking for. I think the contrast of everybody being sad he lost while he sat there happier than ever would have made a great ending.

True.

I think they showed that by him completely guessing on the last question. I don't think he cared whether he won it all or not at that point since he knew Latika was safe.

The whole "destiny" theme is probably the reasoning behind him getting the right answer.

• 1 month later...
I watch it it was good but I cant grasp the fact it won best picture there were better movies out this year that was up for the award I thought for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button would clean house but oh well

Unfortunately Benjamin Button was not that great.

I dunno if Slumdog realaly deserved top honors, but I thought it was better than Button.

Archived