Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Replacement Players in 1987

Riggins77

So everyone probably knows that the movie "The Replacements" was based on the Redskins winning 3 games with replacement players in 1987 to advance to the playoffs and win the Super Bowl. Does anyone know of any good links or literature that will describe the season, players, etc. ??

When I google search I get summaries mainly. I am just curious and interested to know who the players were, mainly since they beat Dallas after their players crossed the picket line. I was way too young to really remember it (12 yo) to the degree of what was really going on.

Also, if any old timers on here have any stories, I'd love to hear them.

all you need to know are two names: which I don't know

Rubert and the Wr that racked up 216 receiving

The Dallas game was amazing. Basically a bunch of scabs beat the snot out of Dallas who was playing with their full roster IN Dallas no less. It was simply incredible.

Your my age for the most part, who was the QB? Where did he play, etc. I really would like to find some kind of documentary if it exists. :cheers:

I hear ya bro. I also find it amazing that people call for Gibbs head and he won 3 games with scrub replacement players to advance to the playoffs. Not to mention that even though his play calling was getting prehistoric, he led us to two playoff appearances in four years.

If he were here this year, I have no doubt that we would still be in the hunt, if not already sealing a spot in the playoffs. The players played for Joe, they gave up on Zorn after week 8.

Dallas starters included Tony Dorsett, Danny White, Randy White and Ed "Too Tall" Jones. BTW, Tony Robinson, who was on a work release program from prison, completed 11 of 18 against Dallas and Lionel Vitale outgained Dorsett 136 yards to 81. I think Dorsett had a costly fumble or two as well and White got sacked a bunch of times.

Craig McEwen was a scab player who went on to a pretty long NFL career. There was a offensive lineman named Darrick Brilz who stayed with the team after the strike (see Bostic's rant about him in the 1987 America's Game Series).

Also, I believe Anthony Allen still holds the single game yardage receiving record for the Redskins.

Go to iTunes and buy the America's Game episode of that year. Not a lot about the replacement players, per se, but a terrific job of telling the story of that season. The replacement players weren't even the best story of that year for the Skins.

The Dallas game was amazing. Basically a bunch of scabs beat the snot out of Dallas who was playing with their full roster IN Dallas no less. It was simply incredible.

Whoa there. Slow down.

Let's not let this take on a life of it's own.

Dallas did not have their full compliment of players on their roster.

They did have some key players like Danny White, Tony Dorsett and Randy White (plus a few others) but they were nowhere near a complete roster of regulars.

I think we all like to remember it that way but it was still a pretty big accomplishment without the embelishment.:)

Ed Rubbort won 2 staring games - The other guy mentioned won against Dallas cause Ed Got hurt.

Anthony Allen actually stayed on the team and played another couple years for different teams.

Keep in mind - While I absolutly agree that the scab team was a big reason we got to the playoffs - they played games 3 -6. Not the last 3. You can't say they won 3 straight to put us in the playoffs. We were 4-1 when the strike ended. We finished 11-4.

1987 was a great year to be a Skins fan.

I was shocked when the Viqueens beat SF in SF to get to the Championship. What a game it would have been. Skins vs. 9ers again. I think we played them the year before and lost after a fumble on the game winning drive. Sigh. Some things never change lol

During the Gibbs I era, I think we met the 49ers only three times:

1983 NFC Championship Game (RFK)

1990 Divisional Playoffs (Candlestick)

1992 Divisional Playoffs (Candlestick)

The 1992 game stings because we lost 20-13 and committed a lot of turnovers ... (I want to say eight but I can't recall)

A summary of who we met in the NFC playoffs during Gibbs I ...

1982: Detroit, Minnesota, Dallas (all at RFK)

1983: LA Rams, San Francisco (all at RFK)

1984: Chicago (at RFK)

1986: LA Rams, Chicago, NY Giants (Rams at RFK)

1987: Chicago, Minnesota (Vikings at RFK)

1990: Philadelphia, San Francisco

1991: Atlanta, Detroit (all at RFK)

1992: Minnesota, San Francisco

cheers

Think about this...our replacement went 3-0...the Giant's replacements went 0-3...we finished the year 11-4 where as the Giants finshed 6-9...if you turn the replacement records around the Giants would have finished 9-6 where as we would have finshed 8-7...no division Title...we would have beaten out Mineesota for the final wild card spot since they were 8-7 and we beat them in the finale...but then our journey to the playoffs would have gone through New Orleans (12-3) and San Fran (13-2).

The replacements players were ABSOLUTELY the reaosn we won the Super Bowl...that and 35 points in the 2nd quarter...lol

I have always felt that the replacements should have gotten "some type" of Super Bowl ring...maybe not the "bling" Ring...but definitely something.

And I don't really think they should be referred to as scabs...they were the best players available at the time...heck, they might even beat this current team...lol

So everyone probably knows that the movie "The Replacements" was based on the Redskins winning 3 games with replacement players in 1987.

I wouldn't know that because other than the team in the movie being from Washington and a players strike, the film has absolutely nothing to do with the Redskins or Washington. I don't remember any other parallels b/t the screen play and what actually transpired here in 1987.

Archived