Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FoxSports Top 10 Heisman Busts.

Mickalino

Just when you thought we'd heard the last of Danny Wuerffel

http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/pgStory?contentId=8924222&MSNHPHCP&GT1=39002#sport=COLLEGE%20FOOTBALL&photo=8918482

10 of 10 1994 Rashaan Salaam over Steve McNair (3rd) and Kerry Collins (4th)

Rashaan Salaam (left) won the 1994 Heisman with relative ease as he became the fourth running back to rush for over 2,000 yards in a season. He left as a junior and became the 21st pick overall by Chicago in 1995. He had mild success until bad habits killed his career and his reputation. Alcorn State's Steve McNair (right) was one of the biggest stories of the 1994 season after setting the NCAA career record for total offense. He was taken third in the 1995 draft by the Houston Oilers and went on to carry the franchise to the Super Bowl when it became the Tennessee Titans. Penn State's Kerry Collins was the fifth pick in the draft by the Carolina Panthers. Miami DT Warren Sapp, a future Hall of Famer, was sixth in the Heisman tally.

9 of 10 2003 Jason White over Larry Fitzgerald and Eli Manning

White (left) came back from two ACL injuries to bomb away for 3,846 yards and 40 TD passes to lead Oklahoma to the national title game. He went on to put up almost as strong a season in 2004, throwing for 3,205 yards with 35 touchdown passes and nine interceptions as he finished third in the Heisman behind Matt Leinart and Adrian Peterson. However, no one ever considered White a pro player of any sort and he wasn't drafted. Larry Fitzgerald (center) was considered a can't miss pro prospect. Now he's well on his way to the Hall of Fame. Finishing third in the Heisman was Eli Manning (right), who threw for 3,600 yards and 29 TDs in carrying Ole Miss to a 10-3 season and a Cotton Bowl win.

8 of 10 1984 Doug Flutie over Bernie Kosar (4th)

Flutie (left) was a no-brainer of a Heisman winner in 1984, passing for 3,454 yards and 27 touchdowns. Of course, he had it all sealed up after his legendary Hail Mary throw to beat Bernie Kosar (right) and Miami in a college football classic. Because of his height, Flutie spent most of his pro career setting records in the CFL before capping his career with a solid stint with the Buffalo Bills. But Flutie never turned out to be the NFL quarterback that Kosar was. Of course, the best pro in the 1984 Heisman race came from Mississippi Valley State. Jerry Rice wasn't a hotly recruited prospect, but he finished his career with 310 catches for 4,856 yards and went on to become the greatest NFL receiver of all time.

7 of 10 1999: Ron Dayne over Michael Vick (3rd), Drew Brees (4th), Chad Pennington (5th), Shaun Alexander (8th)

Ron Dayne (middle) deserved the Heisman, finishing his senior year at Wisconsin as the NCAA's all-time rushing leader and won the award going away. But he's been a bust as a pro, mostly as a journeyman back for the New York Giants. The voting wasn't even close as Dayne blew away Georgia Tech QB Joe Hamilton, but there were some interesting future NFL stars down the list a bit. Michael Vick (top left) turned in a scintillating freshman season at Virginia Tech as he led the Hokies to the Sugar Bowl. He'd go on to be the No. 1 pick in the 2001 draft. Vick finished third, Purdue's Drew Brees (top right) was fourth, Marshall QB Chad Pennington (bottom left) was fifth and Alabama RB Shaun Alexander (bottom right) finished seventh.

6 of 10 1983: Mike Rozier over Steve Young

At the time there was no arguing with Rozier (left) winning the Heisman. He ran for an NCAA single season record 2,148 yards and 29 touchdowns while averaging a whopping 7.8 yards per carry. Rozier started his pro career in the new USFL where he had marginal success before going to the NFL. Meanwhile, Steve Young (right) was off at BYU setting NCAA records for accuracy and efficiency. He was taken in a supplemental draft by Tampa Bay before being traded to San Francisco. He went on to become a Hall of Fame quarterback after taking over the starting job from Joe Montana.

5 of 10 2004: Matt Leinart over Adrian Peterson

Leinart (left) was the aberration as the Heisman winner who went on to beat the runner-up in the national championship, and then shocked the world by not going pro early. Taken 10th by the Arizona Cardinals in 2006, his pro career so far has been defined by injuries and Kurt Warner. Meanwhile, over his first two seasons, Adrian Peterson (right) has become one of the NFL's great young backs. Peterson's 1,925 yards and 15 touchdowns in 2004 were certainly Heisman worthy but Leinart more than matched him with 33 touchdown passes and just six interceptions as the leader of USC's devastating national champions.

4 of 10 1996 Danny Wuerffel over Peyton Manning (8th)

Wuerffel (left) led Florida to the national title with one of the best years in college football history, throwing for 39 scores and finishing with a pass efficiency rating of 170.6. He was drafted in the fourth round by the New Orleans Saints in 1997, but with a funky throwing motion and questionable arm strength, never made his mark. A distant eighth in a race that included Arizona State QB Jake Plummer, Ohio State OT Orlando Pace, and Florida State RB Warrick Dunn was Tennessee QB Peyton Manning (right), the most consistently good QB of his generation.

3 of 10 2000: Chris Weinke over Drew Brees (3rd) and LaDainian Tomlinson (4th)

In one of the most hotly contested Heisman races ever, Weinke (left) barely beat Oklahoma QB Josh Huepel 1,628 to 1,552 with Purdue's Brees (center) a distant third and TCU's Tomlinson (right) fourth. Weinke played six years of minor league baseball, came back to play college football, and won the Heisman at 28. Drafted by the Carolina Panthers, he had limited success as a part-time starter. Brees, drafted in the second round by San Diego, is in the midst of a Hall of Fame career as one of the NFL's top passers with New Orleans. San Diego also drafted LT with the fifth overall pick. He's since won the MVP and been to four Pro Bowls.

2 of 10 1992: Gino Torretta over Marshall Faulk (2nd) and Drew Bledsoe (8th).

Torretta's (left) name has become synonymous with the concept of a good college player who wins the Heisman because he happens to be on a great team. He wasn't all that bad in 1992 throwing for 3,060 yards and 19 touchdowns with seven interceptions before the Sugar Bowl loss to Alabama, but was hardly a pro talent. Meanwhile, San Diego State's Marshall Faulk (center) didn't win the Heisman because he wasn't a senior ... at least that was the general belief. The electrifying sophomore led the nation with 1,630 yards and 15 touchdowns. (On right: Drew Bledsoe)

1 of 10 1967: Gary Beban over O.J. Simpson (2nd), Larry Csonka (4th)

The all-timer of Heisman blunders. UCLA's Beban (left) only threw for 1,359 yards with eight touchdown passes and eight interceptions, but had a great day on national television against USC. In that game, O.J. (center) tore off a legendary 64-yard touchdown dash to lead the Trojans to the win and finished the season with 1,543 rushing yards and 16 total scores. But Beban was a senior and Simpson a junior, so the voters went with the solid career over the flashy season. Beban had his cup of coffee in the NFL with the Washington Redskins. Simpson won the 1968 Heisman in a landslide before becoming one of the greatest NFL players of all-time. (On right: Larry Csonka)

Wow, you mean that doesn't link to Gunaxin?

You know, that way cool, original website about sports, babes and beer?

I just snorted I laughed so hard!!

8 of 10 1984 Doug Flutie over Bernie Kosar (4th) - did bernie really have that stellar of a college career? I know Flutie has the most dramatic hail mary out there..

8 of 10 1984 Doug Flutie over Bernie Kosar (4th) - did bernie really have that stellar of a college career? I know Flutie has the most dramatic hail mary out there..

for a Cleveland Brown he did - but that's about it :laugh:

EDIT - wait, I thought you were talkin about his pro career, as compared to Flutie, who they named an NFL bust in favor of Kosar

7 of 10 1999: Ron Dayne over Michael Vick (3rd), Drew Brees (4th), Chad Pennington (5th), Shaun Alexander (8th)

ron dayne was a freaking beast at Wisconsin. straight up, Drew was OK at Purdue but Ron Dayne was a HUGE and very fast RB.

I think you're misunderstanding the concept of the list.

It's based on how Heisman winners failed to live up their draft hype in the NFL, not in college.

Well, he led the Canes to their first national championship, beating a heavily favored Cornhuskers team 31-30 IIRC. Still one of the best championship games ever, IMO.

Just because Flutie played most of his career in the CFL, doesn't mean he didn't have a successful professional career. I don't consider him a bust. Why isn't Charlie ward on the list? He left the game of football after college.

thats right!!

isnt he the Knick that socked up Kobe Bryant?

Why isn't Charlie ward on the list? He left the game of football after college.

I think the reason he's not considered is because he never actually played in the NFL, therefore he wasn't an NFL/Heisman bust.

I think this is the criteria to be on the list :

1) Win the Heisman trophy

2) Play in the NFL

3) Suck a lot worse than players drafter way below you

The problem is none of these heisman winners are a bust. The heisman trophy is not for the person most likely to be a great NFL'er. It is a college award.

I want the heisman trophy to go to the best "College" player that year. And that is how it should be.

peace

Leinart (left) was the aberration as the Heisman winner who went on to beat the runner-up in the national championship, and then shocked the world by not going pro early.

Rather than "shocked the world" I think "shocked the Leinart family" would be more accurate.

They got it right giving it to Flutie over Kosar, and Flutie was the better pro. He would have been in the NFL sooner had it not been for his contracts with Calgary-which refused NFL teams from even speaking with him-and the NFL/CFL not having the player transfer agreements they have had in recent history.

Flutie might have been short, but he was the best out of pocket passer I have ever seen, and could keep drives going by himself.

The problem is none of these heisman winners are a bust. The heisman trophy is not for the person most likely to be a great NFL'er. It is a college award.

I want the heisman trophy to go to the best "College" player that year. And that is how it should be.

peace

Exactly. It's about how they performed in college, not how they will do in the pros. Otherwise, shouldn't Archie Griffin be on that list? I mean back to back Heismans and a nothing of a pro career.

Archived