Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gibbs was thinking about benching campbell before he got hurt

Hooper

Never knew that.

From the scout.com site. John Keim answered my Collins related question with this --

"I know that Gibbs was thinking about benching Campbell a week before he got hurt. And he would have definitely had an open competition had he returned."

He would have been correct given how TC performed.

Gibbs has benched almost every QB that ever played for him at some point.

During Gibbs II, the starting QB on opening day was a different starter than the starter in the last game of the season.

I think Gibbs would have gone after Favre if he had stayed this year.

He would have been correct given how TC performed.

Gibbs has benched almost every QB that ever played for him at some point.

During Gibbs II, the starting QB on opening day was a different starter than the starter in the last game of the season.

I think Gibbs would have gone after Favre if he had stayed this year.

Nah, he would have stuck with Todd.

I think the fact that he thought about benching JC before he got hurt speaks volumes of what he thought of his potential.

Not surprising.

Look, people can attribute the 4-game run to end last season to any # of things, but it's seems pretty clear to me that the differentiator was Collins in for Campbell. The offense fairly exploded after that and actually looked dangerous. It wasn't a coincidence. The ST-emotion factor didn't help much for the game and a half when Campbell was QB.

Sad to say, because I really want him to succeed, but Campbell is starting to look like a coach-killer. I hope this offseason brings huge strides in his development, because, if I'm Zorn, I'm not anchoring myself to a guy that just can't seem to consistently play the position at an NFL-required speed.

Not surprising.

Look, people can attribute the 4-game run to end last season to any # of things, but it's seems pretty clear to me that the differentiator was Collins in for Campbell. The offense fairly exploded after that and actually looked dangerous. It wasn't a coincidence. The ST-emotion factor didn't help much for the game and a half when Campbell was QB.

Sad to say, because I really want him to succeed, but Campbell is starting to look like a coach-killer. I hope this offseason brings huge strides in his development, because, if I'm Zorn, I'm not anchoring myself to a guy that just can't seem to consistently play the position at an NFL-required speed.

Campbell's mechanics are beyond repair, sadly.

keim is just speculating

gibbs still liked brunell ,collins was saunders guy. saunders was the one who wanted to have the competition to begin with in 2007 because he felt like collins was better than brunell.

no that is not speculating. Williams during his interviews was on the same page as Gibbs was actually. Williams was going to keep Saunders and give him 100% control of the offense and there was going to be a open competion for the starters job in camp but Williams leant toward Collins because he made the overall team more effective. Campbell vs Collins was a issue as some felt Campbell was a franchise QB that just needed proper grooming. Williams wouldn't guarantee Campbell the starter for this season and people didn't like that. Why do you think the first thing Zorn said after his maroon and black comment was Campbell is my Unquestioned starter during his press conference

no that is not speculating. Williams during his interviews was on the same page as Gibbs was actually. Williams was going to keep Saunders and give him 100% control of the offense and there was going to be a open competion for the starters job in camp but Williams leant toward Collins because he made the overall team more effective. Campbell vs Collins was a issue as some felt Campbell was a franchise QB that just needed proper grooming. Williams wouldn't guarantee Campbell the starter for this season and people didn't like that. Why do you think the first thing Zorn said after his maroon and black comment was Campbell is my Unquestioned starter during his press conference

That sheds a lot of light on Snyder and Cerrato's comments that they just didn't feel comfortable with Williams.

Lavarleap56, my follow up question for you is: Since Snyder trusted Gibbs's opinion so much, why did Campbell vs. Collins become such and issue? You would think that Snyder, knowing how Collins played and Gibbs opinion that an open competition should happen, would go with that. Why did he squash the open competition and get rid of Saunders?

Damn, I didn't know any of this... So is it safe to say that Campbell is Vinny's guy?

I've been a Campbell supporter, but this makes me really question whether he will make it if Gibbs, Williams, and Saunders were leaning toward going with Collins...

I mean, this kindof makes sense. We were running a very complex offense, we were obviously having offensive troubles, Gibbs has always been fine with benching QBs, and we have a guy on the bench who has been learning the same system for 10 years and was often referred to as a "coach on the field".

So...yeah, it makes sense.

Now if it was this year, and we're thinking about benching Campbell for a career backup who knows exactly as much of this system as any of our other quarterbacks...then I'd stop and take pause at it. But last year, it makes perfect sense.

Damn, I didn't know any of this... So is it safe to say that Campbell is Vinny's guy?

I've been a Campbell supporter, but this makes me really question whether he will make it if Gibbs, Williams, and Saunders were leaning toward going with Collins...

Not sure what is surprising about Williams/Saunders leaning towards Collins.

Everyone knows that Collins was Saunders guy and since Williams was probably going to keep Saunders it makes sense that both would want a guy that spent 10 years in the system as the QB.

Not sure what is surprising about Williams/Saunders leaning towards Collins.

Everyone knows that Collins was Saunders guy and since Williams was probably going to keep Saunders it makes sense that both would want a guy that spent 10 years in the system as the QB.

It wasn't so much a surprise that they were leaning toward Collins, but rather an apparent lack of faith in Campbell's development. Unless I'm completely reading that wrong...

Never knew that.

From the scout.com site. John Keim answered my Collins related question with this --

"I know that Gibbs was thinking about benching Campbell a week before he got hurt. And he would have definitely had an open competition had he returned."

How does he KNOW that Gibbs was thinking about benching Campbell a week before he got hurt?

Does he have a source? Or is John Keim a mindreader?

:doh::cheers:

That sheds a lot of light on Snyder and Cerrato's comments that they just didn't feel comfortable with Williams.

Lavarleap56, my follow up question for you is: Since Snyder trusted Gibbs's opinion so much, why did Campbell vs. Collins become such and issue? You would think that Snyder, knowing how Collins played and Gibbs opinion that an open competition should happen, would go with that. Why did he squash the open competition and get rid of Saunders?

From what ive heard it came down to Collins was a band aid fix and people didn't know how to look at how he played really was it fire in a bottle or a QB who new the offense so well he didn't need all the physical tools to be successful. Campbell not starting this season would of possibly caused him to not want to be here after his contract was up so they had to find out what he was really capable of this season to prepare for the future as either having a franchise qb for the next ten years or cut ties to search for who is.

From what ive heard it came down to Collins was a band aid fix and people didn't know how to look at how he played really was it fire in a bottle or a QB who new the offense so well he didn't need all the physical tools to be successful. Campbell not starting this season would of possibly caused him to not want to be here after his contract was up so they had to find out what he was really capable of this season to prepare for the future as either having a franchise qb for the next ten years or cut ties to search for who is.

That makes sense. Question is, how long is there a mandate to play JC?

LL....tell Danny and Vinny to stop any and all influence on team decisions.

That includes Vinny on GM duties.

ty.

what else do you know about this team that we dont know about? please spill it :)

Archived