Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Wilbon - Trench Rot (Wilbon speaks truth)

Rypien1191

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/08/AR2008120803484.html

It's not Jason Campbell who should be the talk around office water coolers the rest of the week. It's not Jim Zorn's bizarre "benching" of Clinton Portis that should be the chatter that fills the airwaves and Internet sites. What ails the Washington Redskins more than anything else is simple, even if it's not a sexy topic. It's the line play, silly. The Redskins' line play, on both sides of the ball, is completely inadequate.

The offensive line didn't measure up before Chris Samuels was pronounced out for the season and before Jon Jansen had a sprained knee diagnosed, and it figures to be a huge problem over the final three games of the season.

Only three quarterbacks in the NFL had been sacked more than the Redskins' Campbell entering Week 14, which of course is an indictment of the offensive line. The Redskins can't generate even a decent pass rush with their front four, which of course is an indictment of the defensive line, as is the fact that power teams have simply trampled the Redskins in fourth quarters.

Playing in the power division of a power conference, the Redskins can't play power football. They've looked downright puny in losing to the Giants twice, the Ravens, the Steelers and the Cowboys once Dallas realized the way to beat the Redskins is go right through them. All those are power football teams, and they've handed the Redskins five of their six losses. In any game where the other guy is playing power football, the Redskins are going to be overmatched. And that adds up to, well, 8-8, which is what the Redskins will probably be after they end the season with losses to the Eagles and 49ers.

Don't tell me this is about the quarterback, which is the overly simplistic and completely naive story line Washingtonians traditionally fall in love with. We knew Campbell, in his first full season as a starter, would be a work in progress, and he is. But what he needs is the time to go through his progressions. What he has, operating behind a line that can be pushed around, is barely enough time to throw to his first read.

Look, nobody wanted to believe what Clinton Portis said on the eve of the season about this team's offensive line being average at best, but Portis was right. It's not that his linemen can't play well enough some weeks and it's not that they can give any more than they have; it's that individually and collectively they're not good enough.

Portis, who is unquestionably the heart, soul and MVP of this year's team, hasn't had an easy yard all year. The great majority of his yards have been a struggle. If Zorn doesn't realize Portis's willingness to fight for every yard is the greatest asset this team has, then I'm still left to wonder what kind of head coach Zorn will be.

But all that stuff, Zorn vs. Portis and Campbell's evolution, is secondary. The lack of great line play is primary, and it's the fault of the people selecting the talent. No fault will be found in this space with Jansen and Chris Samuels, who've played admirably over the years and usually pretty darn well, as anchors no less. No, this is a failure of judgment by the people who procure talent. For the better part of 10 years the Redskins have been obsessed with drafting receivers at the expense of both lines, and it's showing now.

Repeatedly, they've traded draft choices for receivers or reached in the draft to take receivers who weren't worth selecting high. The last time the Redskins took a lineman in the first or second round of the draft was 2000 when they selected Samuels with the third overall pick (behind LaVar Arrington). They took Jansen with a second-round pick in 1999, behind Champ Bailey.

Since then? They took wide receiver Taylor Jacobs with a second-round pick in 2003 and he gave the team nothing. They took wide receiver Cliff Russell in the third round in 2002. They took Rod Gardner, who had an okay but brief run, 15th overall in 2001. A couple of years ago they traded a third- and a fourth-round pick for Brandon Lloyd, who was a disaster for the minute-and-a-half he was here. And of course, in 2008 they took three pass-catchers -- Devin Thomas, Fred Davis and Malcolm Kelly -- who together don't have 20 catches this season.

Yes, Jason Campbell needed receivers, but the Redskins essentially picked three knuckleheads, pass-catchers who still haven't convinced the coaches they know the plays. Imagine if the team had used those picks on linemen over the years? Imagine if they'd simply used the two picks they dealt to the 49ers for Lloyd on linemen. A team playing a power division like the NFC East can't go the better part of a decade without using a single high pick on a player who can protect the quarterback. The Redskins knew they were old and injured on the offensive line when they went into the draft and did nothing.

And on defense, they haven't selected a player like Tennessee's Albert Haynesworth, who might be the league's defensive player of the year. You think the Redskins could generate a little more pass rush up front if they'd used a third-round pick to take Justin Tuck, as the Giants did in 2005? Or Mathias Kiwanuka with the first pick in 2006? Perhaps Campbell might have a little bit more time to go through his progressions if the Redskins had taken Chris Snee, as the Giants did in the second round in 2004, or David Diehl, as the Giants did in the fifth round in 2003.

The Giants can rush the passer, protect their own quarterback and stop the run when it is necessary to do so in the fourth quarter. The Redskins cannot. Drafting and trading for receivers, especially ones who aren't ready to play by the end of their rookie seasons, doesn't help you do any of the above.

The Redskins' failure to contend this year has precious little to do with quarterback play, how desperately the players want to win or Zorn's play-calling. Every minute spent examining those things is needlessly diverting precious time from addressing what's actually wrong with the team.

If the Redskins spend the next two offseasons acquiring (mostly through the draft) offensive and defensive linemen they might be able to protect Campbell and stop running backs like Brandon Jacobs and Marion Barber from embarrassing them. But if they continue to stupidly waste draft picks on receivers year after year we'll be talking next December and the December after that, too, about why the Redskins can't handle teams that are talented and tough in the trenches.

Wilbon needs to tell Vinny this, not us. The fans have been screaming for the lines to be strengthened for years. The failure to strengthen the DLine and OLine is entirely on this teams front office.

Any of you that think this year they will fix these problems are dreaming. We've had seasons just like this one before. We'll draft a DB or wideout early... maybe a guard late in the draft.

Wow EVERYONE in the country understands this but....uh....hmmmm...two people?

Snyder and Cerratto.

Some things make you wonder.

I have for the most part been pro Snyder, but at some point you have to scratch your head and wonder why the refusal to keep their picks, draft lineman, and BUILD a franchise.

Wilbon needs to tell Vinny this, not us. The fans have been screaming for the lines to be strengthened for years. The failure to strengthen the DLine and OLine is entirely on this teams front office.

Any of you that think this year they will fix these problems are dreaming. We've had seasons just like this one before. We'll draft a DB or wideout early... maybe a guard late in the draft.

He needs to tell this to the fans that have jumped on Campbells back

He's just saying what this board has been saying for weeks. But this is why I love Wilbon. He pays attention. Well written article.

I don't mean to be over the top, but I've been banging this drum for 1.5 years.

I've watched year in year out as the physically dominant teams have surged and the ones that can't handle it die out in the second half.

Look for the commonality between ALL dominant teams in the last few years. It is dominant line play.

Giants are the most glaring example, as their line dominance was able to stymie the greatest offense of our generation. And the majority of their players were homegrown, as they stress high-motor athleticism and a strong rotation over flashy names and big contracts.

Everyone points to Tom Brady when talking about the Patriots, but perhaps the anchor of their team, what makes it really work, has and will continue to be Richard Seymour. He is the foundation of their defense and the reason for their run to their hardware.

The same can be said about the Titans, the Ravens and the Eagles when they were dominant. It's not rocket science here...

Isn't the Big tackle from the Panthers a FA next year?

Gross?

Believe so, and their offense/run game is looking pretty swell tonight...

As is peppers on the D side of the ball, now hmmmm, that would be right up the danny and vinny's alley. Sign em both. Screw the draft. Crazy is that plan just might work!

Believe so, and their offense/run game is looking pretty swell tonight...

As is peppers on the D side of the ball, now hmmmm, that would be right up the danny and vinny's alley. Sign em both. Screw the draft. Crazy is that plan just might work!

I'm watching the game as well, the Panthers are dominating both lines

Question:

Has O-Line play in the NFL passed Buges by? Could that be part of the problem? Do we need to be get younger/fresher with the O-Line coach?

(I don't believe that it has, but the question needs to be asked. I also have to acknowledge that the answe may very well be "yes")

Wow EVERYONE in the country understands this but....uh....hmmmm...two people?

Snyder and Cerratto.

Some things make you wonder.

I have for the most part been pro Snyder, but at some point you have to scratch your head and wonder why the refusal to keep their picks, draft lineman, and BUILD a franchise.

We have no depth and that is all on Vinny. When our starting LT goes down who do we put in there but a CENTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! come on, we have no other backup T's on this team :doh:

I'm watching the game as well, the Panthers are dominating both lines

Every year you can bank on the panthers drafting a lineman on both sides of the ball. Some havent panned out, some have been stellar. Overall I would suggest it is their strength. It will be interesting to see what kind of influence Zorny will have on the player personell decisions this offseason as he'll have a year under his belt and I would hope better equipped to assess both the team and the staff. The real enigma is how much value does he place on O line play in his wco? I would think it would still be critical but Im not a student of the wco, so I dont know for sure. Seems to be less critical as passes are quick and typically short looking for yac.

Best assesment on the state of our franchise. Not anything new, but all the smoke and mirrors just vanished!

Maybe not the franchise as a whole, but it's certainly is the best assesment of the biggest problem with the roster.

Here's the question: How MANY new linemen do we truly need to fix the problem?

IMO......... 6.

We need a better LG, C, RT, LDE, DT, & DT

So let's say the Skins went crazy and used all (or most) of their draft picks to shore up/revamp the offensive and defensive lines next year.

AND they ended up drafting people that were decent.

How long does it take for a lineman to 'mature'? Are we looking at the line sucking it up for a year or 2 while they develop? And even then, doesn't an offensive line need to "gel"?

(not that I'm advocating this sort of move. just curious.)

And regarding how little production we've gotten out of Thomas/Kelly...Aren't receivers drafted in the FIRST round traditionally not super productive their first years, too? (Much less 2nd rounders.) Sure there are exceptions, but isn't that kind of the rule? Seems like the only real position that doesn't need much ramp up time is RB.

Just seems to me that we were predicted to be the door mats of the NFC East. And that it was going to take a season or two for the offense to get in gear. So it makes sense that our Defense is great and our offense is not so great. Isn't finishing 8-8 (give or take) pretty respectable, and on track for all intents and purposes. ???

So let's say the Skins went crazy and used all (or most) of their draft picks to shore up/revamp the offensive and defensive lines next year.

AND they ended up drafting people that were decent.

How long does it take for a lineman to 'mature'? Are we looking at the line sucking it up for a year or 2 while they develop? And even then, doesn't an offensive line need to "gel"?

(not that I'm advocating this sort of move. just curious.)

And regarding how little production we've gotten out of Thomas/Kelly...Aren't receivers drafted in the FIRST round traditionally not super productive their first years, too? (Much less 2nd rounders.) Sure there are exceptions, but isn't that kind of the rule? Seems like the only real position that doesn't need much ramp up time is RB.

Just seems to me that we were predicted to be the door mats of the NFC East. And that it was going to take a season or two for the offense to get in gear. So it makes sense that our Defense is great and our offense is not so great. Isn't finishing 8-8 (give or take) pretty respectable, and on track for all intents and purposes. ???

WR typically don't become truly productive until their 3rd season. It takes time. Rookie WR's making big impacts are not common, despite some of the successes this year with guys like Eddie Royal & Desean Jackson.

The maturity curve is not as steep for linemen. OL & DL can step right in and be good (depending on talent level, of course)

WR typically don't become truly productive until their 3rd season. It takes time. Rookie WR's making big impacts are not common, despite some of the successes this year with guys like Eddie Royal & Desean Jackson.

The maturity curve is not as steep for linemen. OL & DL can step right in and be good (depending on talent level, of course)

Thats the reason you draft lineman EVERY year. You don't fix this problem in one year, you build a team through the draft. Some players pan out, some don't. But by DRAFTING players you mold them for your system and you get backup talent that knows your system.

Our front office MO EVERY year is lets try and make it a one year fix. It doesn't work.

Wilbon speaks a lot of truth but it's yet again, another spin article to protect Jason Campbell. He's nothing more than an average QB. You could build a brick wall around him and he would still throw the short, underneath passes, not throw to the receiver in stride, over throw and under throw his receivers.

The fun part of all this would be watching a lot of you coming up with even more excuses as to why JC can't lead a team, can't score TD's and still has trouble hitting his receivers in stride. It's always somebody else's fault.

Vinnie doesn't like lineman. It's not a sexy pick.

Vinnie better learn how to. Campbell is going to end up like Ramsey if we dont do something soon. We are going to have to bite the bullet and get some power on both sides.

By the way, wheres all the Campbell haters at? I thought it was all on him, who woulda thought line play had anything to do with successful QBing :doh:

Archived