Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How To Solve the DT Problem

method man

you help solve the problem by drafting Bj Raji i think his name is the DT from Boston College this season.

There have been reports of negatives on Raji centering around whether or not he can be coached. I like the idea of Senderrick Marks or Peria Jerry, Personally I prefer Jerry he blew by the LSU Line and has looked like a beast all season. He'll still be there when we pick

Excellent! Two in seven years!!! One of those only played a season.

Salvea, Wynn and P Daniels were also FA's who played well for us.

I say get the guy from SD. Him and Monty would be a decent pairing with Carter and either Jackson or E. James on the ends. Then draft 1 or 2 young guys to rotate in along with D Evans.

Salvea, Wynn and P Daniels were also FA's who played well for us.

No one of those guys was someone who scared other teams, though. Basically, we had a half-dozen of the same guy. We need intensity and talent on the line, not just a few serviceable guys.

Just beacuse the analyst say,, you don't draft any??.

Jared allen 4th round pick DE 12 sacks this year,

Sam Adams 44 career Sacks, Undrafted

Mark Schereth, OG, 3 time pro bowl and 3 time Super bowl champ,10th round pick.

Joe Jacoby, OT undrafted, 3 time SB champ.

It can be done. You just hope you have a Bobby bethard "scout in the making" out there looking for you.

What kind of dramatics is that "stake our Season"???

DT is the biggest problem on this team. That is why I said "stake our season." Because the DTs get no pressure, the QB just steps up in the pocket despite the DE pressure.

For every Sam Adams, you have 10 Mario Monds

No one of those guys was someone who scared other teams, though. Basically, we had a half-dozen of the same guy. We need intensity and talent on the line, not just a few serviceable guys.

Olshansky and Tank are guys with talent...far more talent than Wynn, Salavea, and Daniels ever had.

I have taken a look at this year's FA class for DTs and I feel that we can solve our problems in a cost efficient way. Analyzing the FA class, there are a lot of guys who did nothing this year and ended up killing their values in FA. This is all the better for us, because this gives us a better chance of signing multiple numbers of these guys to contracts.

The following players are young and have shown performance in the past:

Tank Johnson - Was a beast playing with the Bears, but has struggled playing with the Cowboys. The reason why is simple. In Dallas, he is being forced to be a 3-4 NT, which he is about 40 pounds light for. Tank is more of a penetrator and pass rusher from the DT position, which he was able to do next to Tommie Harris in Chicago. The guy averaged 3 sacks a season in Chicago, which was the last time he was in a 4-3 and he would benefit a lot playing next to a big NT like Monty.

Igor Olshansky - This guy has been trash this year for San Diego and had gotten benched at one point. San Diego fans are not sure why his play has dropped off so much. It might be a result of general dropoff in that defense. Phillips and Cromartie have also been pretty bad this season. Olshanksy is a guy with a good reputation for keeping himself in great shape, he is great against the run, and he also offers the ability to collapse the pocket via bullrush. I think he will be an effective 4-3 DT.

Marcus Tubbs - Was an absolute beast when he last played football, which was a couple years ago. Since then, he suffered a career threatening injury. If he is somewhat recovered, I would offer him a look in training camp.

Jovan Haye - Was one of the best DTs in football in 2007 but has really sucked in 2008. Very good penetrator into the backfield especially on stunts, which our D likes to run. He is a better fit for a Tampa 2 style so I see him going to a team that runs that type of scheme but we should give him a call.

Underachievers With Untapped Potential:

Shaun Cody - The guy hasn't done much at all in the league. He was hyped a lot coming out of USC and he has suffered injury problems, which have inhibited his growth. I am wondering if we can sign him and fix his problems, because the talent is clearly there.

I wouldn't mind giving some of these guys a chance here...

Just an example look at Kyle Vanden Bosch....

I feel that we can solve our problems in a cost efficient way.

Tank Johnson - Was a beast playing with the Bears, but has struggled playing with the Cowboys.

Igor Olshansky - This guy has been trash this year for San Diego and had gotten benched at one point.

Marcus Tubbs - Was an absolute beast when he last played football, which was a couple years ago. Since then, he suffered a career threatening injury.

Jovan Haye - Was one of the best DTs in football in 2007 but has really sucked in 2008.

Shaun Cody - The guy hasn't done much at all in the league.

So by signing other team's garbage, we are magically going to get production from them? I honestly don't think that is going to be the solution.

So by signing other team's garbage, we are magically going to get production from them? I honestly don't think that is going to be the solution.

Griffin, Springs, and DeAngelo Hall were all garbage with their respective teams when signed them.

You have to look at the reasons why some of these guys are playing like garbage. In Tank's and Igor's cases, it might be because they are not fits in the 3-4 scheme.

Griffin, Springs, and DeAngelo Hall were all garbage with their respective teams when signed them.

You have to look at the reasons why some of these guys are playing like garbage. In Tank's and Igor's cases, it might be because they are not fits in the 3-4 scheme.

I'd say Griffin was good with the Giants, Hall wasn't garbage, just had every ball thrown his way because of Nnamdi, and Springs wasn't garbage, just always injured.

Our track record of taking other team's players and turning them into productive studs hasn't been so great here. It already hasn't worked this year with Erasmus James. Jason Taylor hasn't worked out. Springs is still always hurt.

I'd get younger (hopefully that means healthier too) and use this draft as best as humanly possible, I'd re-sign Golston and Montgomery.

I understand guys might not be in the right scheme, but what about our scheme? Blache's defense calls for the DTs to hold at the point of attack, stopping the run first and not demanding much pressure on the QB. DTs here are just plugging gaps, not getting sacks. Maybe that's why everyone is so frustrated at the lack of pressure.

Point taken, and I agree. But if we cannot draft a top DT because of trading our 2nd rounder away then grabbing Igor from SD would be better than what we have now.

It's a good thought, but recently he's constantly hurt and he's up in age. Realistic thing to do is Draft 2nd, 3rd round solid lineman on both sides to replace these aging injury prone vets.

Well, our 2nd round pick for 2009 is already on the team--J. Taylor. :doh:

The Tuna really hosed Vinny on that one. :mad:

I'd say Griffin was good with the Giants, Hall wasn't garbage, just had every ball thrown his way because of Nnamdi, and Springs wasn't garbage, just always injured.

Our track record of taking other team's players and turning them into productive studs hasn't been so great here. It already hasn't worked this year with Erasmus James. Jason Taylor hasn't worked out. Springs is still always hurt.

I'd get younger (hopefully that means healthier too) and use this draft as best as humanly possible, I'd re-sign Golston and Montgomery.

I understand guys might not be in the right scheme, but what about our scheme? Blache's defense calls for the DTs to hold at the point of attack, stopping the run first and not demanding much pressure on the QB. DTs here are just plugging gaps, not getting sacks. Maybe that's why everyone is so frustrated at the lack of pressure.

I believe Hall had the highest completion rate against him in the league and Springs had been demoted to the nickel in Seattle. Another example of a guy whose career we saved was Santana's. Before we got him, he looked like a bust with only 1 1000 yard season.

We need to cut Springs, Washington, Griffin, they're all freeloaders anyway and sign Haynesworth then use our 1st round pick on the best available DE or OL. Having a player like Haynesworth would do miracles for our pass rush.

I'd love to have Albert, but the truth of the matter is that we probably cannot afford him considering all the other holes (RT, C, both guard positions, SLB) that we have on the team.

Dallas runs a 3-4 and has done well with it in our division. You have to have the right players to make it work.

You need not only the right players but the coaches who know the 3-4. Skins have neither the players (DL or LB) or the coaches. This is fantasy. The Skins 4-3 defense is perfectly fine but needs better talent at DT and at SLB. I'd love for the Skins to take a look at Olshansky - I wanted the Skins to draft him when he came out of college. I don't think either Golsten or Montgomery are that great. They are fine in rotation but Skins need better talent for at least one of the DT positions.

Archived