Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How To Solve the DT Problem

method man

I have taken a look at this year's FA class for DTs and I feel that we can solve our problems in a cost efficient way. Analyzing the FA class, there are a lot of guys who did nothing this year and ended up killing their values in FA. This is all the better for us, because this gives us a better chance of signing multiple numbers of these guys to contracts.

The following players are young and have shown performance in the past:

Tank Johnson - Was a beast playing with the Bears, but has struggled playing with the Cowboys. The reason why is simple. In Dallas, he is being forced to be a 3-4 NT, which he is about 40 pounds light for. Tank is more of a penetrator and pass rusher from the DT position, which he was able to do next to Tommie Harris in Chicago. The guy averaged 3 sacks a season in Chicago, which was the last time he was in a 4-3 and he would benefit a lot playing next to a big NT like Monty.

Igor Olshansky - This guy has been trash this year for San Diego and had gotten benched at one point. San Diego fans are not sure why his play has dropped off so much. It might be a result of general dropoff in that defense. Phillips and Cromartie have also been pretty bad this season. Olshanksy is a guy with a good reputation for keeping himself in great shape, he is great against the run, and he also offers the ability to collapse the pocket via bullrush. I think he will be an effective 4-3 DT.

Marcus Tubbs - Was an absolute beast when he last played football, which was a couple years ago. Since then, he suffered a career threatening injury. If he is somewhat recovered, I would offer him a look in training camp.

Jovan Haye - Was one of the best DTs in football in 2007 but has really sucked in 2008. Very good penetrator into the backfield especially on stunts, which our D likes to run. He is a better fit for a Tampa 2 style so I see him going to a team that runs that type of scheme but we should give him a call.

Underachievers With Untapped Potential:

Shaun Cody - The guy hasn't done much at all in the league. He was hyped a lot coming out of USC and he has suffered injury problems, which have inhibited his growth. I am wondering if we can sign him and fix his problems, because the talent is clearly there.

We haven't exactly had success with FA's, other than Griff when healthy and four years younger.

I'd suggest the draft, but we only ever draft late-round scrubs on either side of the line.

Come to think of it, don't expect either the DT or DE problem to be answered.

Its called the draft. Theres always Diamonds in the rough, 2nd and 3rd rounders D and O lineman who are above average in there play. Weather we find them is another story. So many 1st round D line busts. hopefully we trade our 1st rd again for a couple 2nds

We need to try to get ONE player of need, offensive or defensive lineman, out of free agency and try to make due with the draft for the rest. If we pick in the middle of the first round we can get a quality player, or maybe there will be one of the desirable QBs on the board that will help us trade down.

Don't completely look past free agent possibilities. Let's not forget that for all the busts we've signed via free agency, we've also brought in London Fletcher, Griffin, Daniels, Washington, and some other guys who have played well for us over the last 4 years or so. The trick is to do what we did after 2006 and sign one quality guy (Fletcher) instead of what we did after 2005 and try to sign everyone (Archuleta, Carter, El, Lloyd). Look at a team like the Jets who helped out both lines immensely by signing Faneca and Jenkins out of free agency.

I'm all for switching to a 3-4 D so we have less DT/DE's on the freakin field. HB and London in the middle, rocky outside and a FA or Andre Carter/Jason Taylor playing LB on the other side. Anthony Montgomery would be a nice NG!

That isn't a bad idea, but I am unsure about the 3-4 in this division... Brandon Jacobs, Marion Barber against only 3 DLinemen?

Its called the draft. Theres always Diamonds in the rough, 2nd and 3rd rounders D and O lineman who are above average in there play. Weather we find them is another story. So many 1st round D line busts. hopefully we trade our 1st rd again for a couple 2nds

So you are willing to stake our season on a 3rd round pick in a crappy DT class?

I'm all for switching to a 3-4 D so we have less DT/DE's on the freakin field. HB and London in the middle, rocky outside and a FA or Andre Carter/Jason Taylor playing LB on the other side. Anthony Montgomery would be a nice NG!

No way we have the personel to play a 3-4. The secondary is the only part that maybe ready for the transition. With the exception of London Fletcher our whole front 7 will have to be rebuilt. Rocky is way way too small and a terrible pass rusher to be playing as an OLB in a 3-4 scheme. Not to mention we have no DEs to play the scheme. Maybe Golston could move to DE but we need more undersized DTs to play as DEs in a 3-4.

Andre Carter and Jason Taylor (not as bad as Carter) failed at being OLBs in a 3-4.

Call me crazy, but I think, if he gets healthy, the answer in the short term could be to move Daniels Inside.

Again provided he gets healthy

It's a good thought, but recently he's constantly hurt and he's up in age. Realistic thing to do is Draft 2nd, 3rd round solid lineman on both sides to replace these aging injury prone vets.

That's fine too. Just stay out of FA!! You should only go there for veteran role players.

I know the skins recent dependency on free agency may have soured it to some of us, but it can be very useful, especially when you're grabbing players who may be undervalued and have a great chance to succeed in the skins system.

That DOES NOT mean signing people like Lloyd to $40 million contracts, it's about finding guys you can sign for cheap.

So you are willing to stake our season on a 3rd round pick in a crappy DT class?

Just beacuse the analyst say,, you don't draft any??.

Jared allen 4th round pick DE 12 sacks this year,

Sam Adams 44 career Sacks, Undrafted

Mark Schereth, OG, 3 time pro bowl and 3 time Super bowl champ,10th round pick.

Joe Jacoby, OT undrafted, 3 time SB champ.

It can be done. You just hope you have a Bobby bethard "scout in the making" out there looking for you.

What kind of dramatics is that "stake our Season"???

Archived