Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Metal: What's out there?

PokerPacker

We've got a thread on Death Metal, but I think we could expand it to the broader genre of Metal.

So, what bands do we have out there still making music today?

please include sub-genres they fit into and maybe a short description of the band's sound.

I'll add some of my picks after others start in and show some interest in this thread.

I am completely clueless when it comes to metal but a lot of my friends are obsessed with all sorts of metal.. I hate driving with them. Anyway, the only band I can stand is Opeth and some other band called Soilwork, though I'm not sure if they're classified as metal?

My favorites are Disturbed and Godsmack,im really addicted to them.That's enough detail for me :D

+1 for Disturbed. Godsmack is pretty good, but I wouldn't consider them one of my favorites. Avenged Sevenfold has had me hooked for like 2 years. I was pretty big into Mudvayne for awhile, and still enjoy their stuff. Rounding out my favorites are Seether. Not metal, but a damn fine band. Also put on a hell of a show.

Unearth is a band that needs to be checked out. These guys are badass. They have 4 cds out I think and a DVD. I guess they'd be a metalcore band. Personally, I think that genres and sub genres are stupid. Either it's metal or it's not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w2Jm1_-xbg

+1 on Unearth. Not that many people know about them and they're missing out.

Edit: Forgot to add some bands. Check out:

Parkway Drive

August Burns Red

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qtk9c6ZGcM

My favorite band Killswitch Engage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFQAWdRRChk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0qa23FegT8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyXnz0mwlJM

Edguy FTW!!!!

yeah, you know it!

You heard Tinnitus Sanctus yet?

Anyway, my picks:

• Edguy- can't really pin them down to a specific style as they're always evolving. I'd say they have a hint of power metal and hard rock. A band that just has a good time doing what they do. they have 13 albums out now that each may have something to offer to different people. My personal favorite is Hellfire Club.

songs to check outs: Down to the Devil, Mysteria, ****ing with Fire (Hair Force One), Spooks in the Attic, The Piper Never Dies, The Pride of Creation,

• Dream Evil- This is a relatively new band that only has about 4 albums out so far. They're all good albums in my book. They recently went through a lineup change when their lead-guitarist (Gus G., very talented young guitarist)
    left to focus on his own band. Even through the lineup change, their music is still gold. They have a few different sounds they work with; some nice hard music as well as some nice light-and-quick songs. Check 'em out, I think they probably have a wide appeal.

Songs to check out: Chasing the Dragon, My Number One, Heavy Metal Jesus, Calling Your Name,

• Rhapsody of Fire- Technically not still producing new albums since they're in the middle of a legal battle with their record label (Magic Circle Music), but they have a new album all written out and ready to record. Anyways, they are a Symphonic Power Metal band. An interesting mix of orchestra, chorus and metal, as well as other styles mixed in. Some of their albums were much more power metal than symphonic, others more symphonic than power. They even mix in a bit of folk metal here and there. They are one of the few bands to work a flute/violin duel into metal. Give 'em a try if you're looking for something a bit different

songs to check out: Triumph or Agony, Power of the Dragonflame,
    (for Edguy fans, Tobias Sammet was in the chorus for that album)

• Axenstar- A very quick and light Power Metal band. Don't really know how to describe 'em after that that. Just really quick and light, and maybe the word "positive" means something.

Songs to check out:

• Dragonforce- Power Metal band with uplifting and harmonized vocals and have a dueling guitar setup. Most people know who they are these days and have an opinion so I won't waste time describing them in depth.

Songs to check out: Through the Fire and Flames, Fury of the Storm, Dawn Over a New World, Where Dragons Rule (remix version is better),

• Freedom Call- They have a few songs I really like. The are a have a high level of harmonized vocals without any one voice usually standing out. Don't know how to describe them, really.

Songs to check out:

• Kamelot- An Epic/Symphonic Power Metal band. Very powerful sound to their music. Made two albums to tell the story of Faust.

Songs to check out:
    (guest singer from Dimmu Borgir),

• Yngwie Malmsteen- Yes, he's still out there and he's still making music. 24 years in the industry and 24 albums. Neoclassical/shred/speed metal. he's got a variety of kinds of stuff he's made (kind of hard NOT to being around as long as he has).
    links:
    , Flamenco Diablo

Will add more links later, Youtube's not loading.

Amon Amarth: Viking Metal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPRt6Tt6RyM

The next two are.. pretty unique, i'd say.

Blind Guardian (Power Metal)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEDXdHVIG88

Iced Earth (Power Metal)

Dark Tranquillity (Melodic Death, good ol' Gothenburg sound)

The Haunted (Thrash/Death metal)

Dimmu Borgir (Symphonic Black Metal)

Mastodon (..I don't even know, haha)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNVoGh-YpPY

Most are relatively new songs, for the most part, and if they aren't, they're putting out new material, haha. Some are newer bands, some are a tad older still putting out new stuff.

Unearth is a band that needs to be checked out. These guys are badass. They have 4 cds out I think and a DVD. I guess they'd be a metalcore band. Personally, I think that genres and sub genres are stupid. Either it's metal or it's not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w2Jm1_-xbg

Sub Genres make a huge difference. There are some I like and some I don't. Labeling by sub-genre helps people figure out what bands they are more likely to like. Different sub-genres of metal have entirely different sounds.

For example, I cannot listen to Death Metal, the Cookie Monster voice kills it for me.

Opeth - Amazing music. It is really hard to classify them because they switch from death metal stuff to proggy stuff. I guess progressive death. Highly highly recommended. The new album Watershed is incredible and sounds incredible.

Katatonia - More doomish, but some beautiful music. The album The Great Cold Distance is their most recent and the production on it is phenominal. If you are an audio nerd like myself, this album is for you.

Arch Enemy - Do you like guitar solos? This band is for you. The Amott brothers are awesome axemen who are rarely talked about. Amott Brothers>>>Petrucci. They actually know what a guitar solo is.

Soilwork - Awesome band that has been around for quite some time.

In Flames - Early stuff is great, new stuff...eh...

Darkane - Awesome thrash metal type stuff. Guitar work is awesome and the drummer, Peter, is amazing.

Daylight Dies - I normally do not listen to American metal because frankly it is bland, overplayed and utter crap. However, this is one of the few exceptions I make. They are doomy and melancholic. Absolutely incredible band that is not very well known. All the members are really cool guys and they are definitely deserving of a listen! They will be on tour with Soilwork & Darkane in the new year, btw.

Agalloch - sort of black metalish. They are from Oregon. Awesome stuff, check them out.

Bloodbath - "Supergroup" if you will. They play old school death metal of Sweden. They have some absolutely crushing stuff.

Cradle of Filth - always pushing the envelope. The new album kicks so much ass. It is about Gilles de Rais. He was someone who fought with Joan of Arc. Sort of a controversial figure and its done in a typical Cradle fashion. Dani is a fantastic lyricist.

Meshuggah - Posterboys for math metal. So many core bands rip Meshuggah off. Incredibly heavy band...not for the weak.

Amon Amarth - awesome viking metal that will make you want to go fight a war or something when you are done listening. They should play this before Skins games.

Omnium Gatherum - Some cool stuff from these guys. The newest album is pretty good.

Eluveitie - Folk metal. Yeah, thats right...they have whistles, a hurdy gurdy and fiddles. Yeah, there is double bass too, and it is awesome. Give the song My Gaulish Words a listen and tell me the combination of metal and folk tunes is not good.

Insomnium - Doomish kind of band. Similar to Daylight Dies I guess, but I think they are a little more melodic.

Into Eternity - another pretty good band. Tim Roth is a good guitarist and not really that well known. Plus the intro to the tune Splintered Visions is awesome.

Finally we have the last band I will name in my mega list...

Scar Symmetry - Holy **** wow. Their guitarist Per Nilsson is phenominal. The guy can shred and he can play awesome melodies, what can be better? I guess if oyu like 5 billion notes per second than John Petrucci is your guy. But once again, Per Nilsson>>>>Petrucci. They are more of a straight up metal band than anything. Unfortunately their singer just left, but they have replacements who are pretty good. The vocals range from fantastic guttural death vocals to amazing singing.

Then there are other no brainers like Tool & Pantera who will always need no explanation because they are pure awesomeness.

dethklok dethklok dethklok dethklok!!!!

lol i know its a fake band but metalocalypse is a funny ass show.

i just found amon amarth not too long ago but i really like it. i love me some disturbed and pantera. i also really enjoy sepultura and lacuna coil although i dont know if they would be considered metal. cristina scabbia is hottttt!!!!!!!!!

Can someone give me some tips for listening to metal?

It's not that I haven't tried. I just can't seem to latch onto it.

perhaps you're not a fan of the harsh vocals prevalent in most popular metal. Check out some of the bands/links in my post and see if any of those bands appeal to you.

oh, and welcome to the tailgate, little bro of the Toe of Jam.

My favorite band of all-time is Slayer.

They're still doing they're thing and are pretty much the same band they were in the 80s....there's something I like about a band that doesn't need to "experiment" too much and just keeps putting out what they do best.

Slaytanic Army!!!1

Archived