Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins Insider: There's No Quarterback Controversy

bubba9497

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/12/not_another_quarterback_contro.html#more

Click link for entire article

There's No Quarterback Controversy

Thirteen weeks into the season, there's a growing contingent of people intent on blaming everything on the quarterback and calling for a backup to play. The same people clamoring for Colt Brennan in August and September are now crying out for Todd Collins.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that we're back where we started, yet I am.

Predictably, Coach Jim Zorn spent a good deal of his press conference fielding questions about Campbell, including one from a reporter who asked if a quarterback change was in order. Zorn is tuning out the noise. He knows Campbell isn't perfect - Zorn called the passer's performance against the Giants "very average" - but the problems run much deeper than the one position that draws the most attention (judging by talk radio and my inbox today).

Zorn, to the surprise of none of the schlubs who cover this team on a regular basis, dismissed any notion of a QB controversy and hasn't considered a change. His best quarterback is on the field for every snap, and will continue to be as long as he is healthy.

I know it's difficult for some people to get beyond the December Todd Collins had last year, but times have changed. Zorn is trying to develop Campbell into a franchise quarterback and the kid is doing a fine job, all things considered. Zorn is demanding more of him and holds him, admittedly, to the highest standard possible ("I want him to play mistake-free," Zorn said), but he is taking a less myopic look at the scope of the offensive woes than a lot of fans and media types.

His confidence in Campbell is strong and he sees lots of positives in every outing, even one as mundane as Sunday's.

"I put a lot on him to be right all the time," Zorn said of his expectations, "... and he knows that I think he can really do it."

There are numerous reasons why the offense isn't scoring, most of which we have covered. There are only a few receivers who can really be trusted to run the right route, make the catch, and not put the team in peril (Santana Moss, Antwaan Randle El and Chris Cooley). There were too many times when receivers failed to get open, Zorn said, and some crushing drops by James Thrash, Malcolm Kelly and Randle El. And I'll add that opposing teams have figured out that if you double Moss on first down and double Cooley on third down, no one else is really going to beat you.

The pass protection is often spotty and, especially when Campbell tries to survey the field and make multiple reads on deep patterns, he usually ends up running for his life before he can even look to the secondary targets (that's killing the vertical presence). And then, when Clinton Portis is really banged up and the Redskins fall behind by even a few scores early and have to chase the game, everything gets magnified because they lose the play-action threat, Campbell gets crushed because he has to drop back too much and the offense implodes.

I asked Zorn about having few receivers to trust, pass-protection breakdowns, drops, having to get too one-dimensional when falling behind, and the cumulative impact that has on anyone's ability to be an effective quarterback. "All of those things are very true," Zorn said.

But, sure, there is room for improvement. Campbell made a short throw on the interception. He missed his reads a few times. He could have made a few better decisions. But he also protected the football well, made some great throws that were dropped and was elusive in the pocket against the rush.

Some fans are saying that Jason is not enough of a "leader" or not "fiery" enough. No one in the huddle has complained to me privately or publicly about the kid's makeup or actions. They have confidence in him. He is a unifying presence on the team.

He is cool under pressure. The people trying to compare him to Brett Favre or whomever else they deem to have the ideal on-field mentality are the same people who would be calling for him to benched after putting up the kind of interception numbers Favre puts up. Quarterbacks come in different shapes and sizes, and with different demeanors. Campbell commands his teammates' attention and respect, and manages an offense with some outsized personalities. (Portis and Cooley, to name two). There are a slew of guys on that side of the ball earning a ton more than Jason and with way more years of experience as starters. The quarterback doesn't have to be cracking heads all the time.

Let's not forget that Todd Collins has serious mobility issues (though he does have a quicker release), which would be a real problem with this line. He has not thrown a ball to most of these receivers, with Campbell getting all the practice reps, and he looked pretty awful at times in the preseason trying to adjust to this new system. Al Saunders isn't in the building anymore, and the offense has changed.

Even if, somehow, Collins could recapture his magic from last December, remember that this team could run the table - highly unlikely in and of itself - and still miss the playoffs. Campbell has never had a full season in which to evolve and to strip him of it for a 37-year-old career backup makes no sense. To say nothing of the fact that Campbell's play does not merit a benching, regardless of the back-up options.

So what are the arguments for Collins?

He's more accurate? Collins completed 63.8 percent of his passes during his four games in the regular season last season. Campbell is completing 63.8 percent of his passes this season. Collins, for all the mystique of those games, threw for 888 yards. Campbell, even given the plight of this offense, has thrown for 826 yards over the past four games, essentially the same thing.

Collins got the ball in the end zone five times down the stretch in 2007, but he, unlike Campbell, wasn't facing three of the better pass-rushing defenses in the four-week span(let's remember the losses came to Pittsburgh, Dallas and the Giants, not exactly the Bengals and Lions). Yes, there are problems in the red zone, but it's a lack of playmakers, not the quarterback.

Patience is required in grooming a young quarterback. I realize, with the cycle of guys being run in and out behind center for the last 15-20 years, that that could be an new concept, but it's reality. A year ago Eli Manning was a bum (I was one of the people saying it), and Sunday he was an absolute star and might be heading to another Super Bowl. And he entered the league a year before Jason and started almost right away. He has had almost total stability in terms of coaches and system and plays behind the best offensive line in the game and best running game.

It just takes a little time.

I find it odd that a team that has over-achieved in terms of its record in the eyes of many, is allegedly being held back by the same QB who was among the top eight in the NFL at the midpoint of the season. I'm not buying it. Not even close. Fundamental issues of personnel and scheme adjustment are overarching principles, and no one player is going to overcome that.

To retard the development of Campbell, again, just to hand the team over to Todd Collins strikes me as absurd. This season, realistically, was never about winning the Super Bowl, or even winning the division. They weren't built for that. It's about building a solid program and growing into an offense and identity on that side of the ball that could stand up over time, and developing a quarterback who has the physical and mental tools to be very good for years to come.

Don't lose sight of that.

Many of his same arguements could apply to the JT trade, signing Alexander (and now Boscheti), playing Thrash at the expense of the rookies, playing Jansen intead of Heyer, etc.

I can't logically deduce why the arguement is valid in one respect (who plays QB) and not others.

Now can we stop with the bench JC threads? Zorn has anwered your questions regarding the position.

Good point about Eli Manning being considered a joke last season.

I've made the same point in several other threads.

People tend to ignore it and the biggest problem with it is the fact that the Redskins don't have a Plaxico Burress type talent and the WR corp and offensive line aren't on the same level.

Oh well, I'm not giving up on Campbell so I guess I'm going down with the ship.

Campbell has shown minimal progression from last year. When you look at how quickly Flacco and Ryan have developed in offenses with comparable talent, you cannot make the argument that Campbell has been playing well.

Not to mention that the qb is the sparkplug to an offense and can make other areas of the team look better or play better than they are.

man, JLC knocked this out of the park ... amazing assessment of this whole thing.

skins need to ride this through.

Way too much breaking down around JC to blame, bench, or berate him.

I am a fanatical supporter of Candle and I will whole heartedly admit that I"m really discouraged in his/the Off performance ...then I remember:

I've never played QB ,let alone footballl at a high level

I don't have coaches tape

I DON'T KNOW THE ENTIRE STORY.

Wow. The whole time I was reading this I assumed it was Reid who wrote it. I thought there was no way JLC wrote it. Hats off to you JLC. I still hate your style of journalism overall, but if the majority of your work was as deep and introspective as this, I'd quickly be a fan of yours. All the JC bashers, heck even the critics and doubters, should read this article.

I've made the same point in several other threads.

People tend to ignore it and the biggest problem with it is the fact that the Redskins don't have a Plaxico Burress type talent and the WR corp and offensive line aren't on the same level.

Oh well, I'm not giving up on Campbell so I guess I'm going down with the ship.

I would trust Zorn's assessment of Campbell over the average ES poster's assessment of him.

BTW, who stole JLC's blog writing duties? lol

Good point about Eli Manning being considered a joke last season.

Nobody that watched this game considered Manning a joke:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4188/is_/ai_n16733421

"Eli Manning withstood relentless pressure, endured a pounding and still delivered the knockout punch in overtime.

Manning brought the Giants back from a 17-point deficit in the fourth quarter and threw a 31-yard touchdown pass to Plaxico Burress with 3:11 left in the extra period for a 30-24 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday."

"A week after older brother Peyton Manning led Indianapolis to a 26-21 win over New York, Eli Manning survived eight sacks and threw for 371 yards and three TDs. He completed 31 of 43 passes with one interception."

It wasn't clear how good he could be, but it was clear he could be a started in the NFL after that game to me.

Campbell has shown minimal progression from last year. When you look at how quickly Flacco and Ryan have developed in offenses with comparable talent, you cannot make the argument that Campbell has been playing well.

Not to mention that the qb is the sparkplug to an offense and can make other areas of the team look better or play better than they are.

The same question has to be asked when concerning their offensive line play.

Campbell looks real spotty back there and it not because he has happy feet.

"Eli Manning withstood relentless pressure, endured a pounding and still delivered the knockout punch in overtime.

Manning brought the Giants back from a 17-point deficit in the fourth quarter and threw a 31-yard touchdown pass to Plaxico Burress with 3:11 left in the extra period for a 30-24 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday."

"A week after older brother Peyton Manning led Indianapolis to a 26-21 win over New York, Eli Manning survived eight sacks and threw for 371 yards and three TDs. He completed 31 of 43 passes with one interception."

It wasn't clear how good he could be, but it was clear he could be a started in the NFL after that game to me.

. . . and Campbell hasn't had some very good NFL games?

Come on now.

Did we not say the same thing about JC after the New Orleans or Arizona games?

Ignore all logic and reason. Bench Campbell, for he is bad. The OL is fine, his recievers are legendary, and he is merely mediocre.

Any and all Pro-Campbell talk ought to result in a banning. Start Brennan now. I repeat, Jason Campbell, unlike elite QBs, needs unnecessary things like an above-average OL, WRs who can catch, and Targets who can find some way to get open.

Yeah but don't you remember when guys in the Giants' locker room were telling the press that they didn't think Eli had what it takes to lead a team, etc. etc.

Yeah but don't you remember when guys in the Giants' locker room were telling the press that they didn't think Eli had what it takes to lead a team, etc. etc.

I'll bet they weren't after that game. He even took a shot on the winning TD pass, but stayed in the pocket and delivered it.

C'mon. The Ravens and Falcons are 1 game better than us. Ryan's season is comparable to JCs, both are doing better than Flacco. Ryan has a run game to rely on, as does JC. However, Turner hasn't been banged up. If CP is healthy for Dallas and NY it's a different game. Of course this means you'd actually have to do as JLC suggested, which is look past one singular position in a TEAM sport.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/12/not_another_quarterback_contro.html#more

Click link for entire article

There's No Quarterback Controversy

So what are the arguments for Collins?

He's more accurate? Collins completed 63.8 percent of his passes during his four games in the regular season last season. Campbell is completing 63.8 percent of his passes this season. Collins, for all the mystique of those games, threw for 888 yards. Campbell, even given the plight of this offense, has thrown for 826 yards over the past four games, essentially the same thing.

Collins had a QB rating of 106.4 in those games. Campbell 68.1 in his last 4. Collins threw 5 TDs no picks. Campbell is 2tds 4 picks. Stats are not even close. Collins wins included future champion Giants, 13-2 Cowboys, and 2 other teams fighting for a playoff spot. The author of this clearly did not do his homework.

Archived