Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Time to Blow it Up?

worldpost

Being a Skins for fan my entire life, this is a really tough post to make, however it's time for the front office to realize that the NFL has changed, and this roster needs a major overhaul in personal.

Here are my thoughts by position.

QB- Draft a young QB to replace T.Collins and groom him to replace J.Campbell if his progress continues to stall in making the right read, and holding onto the ball.

RB- Find a scat back. Anyone remember J. Washington? The new NFL will have the wildcat offense in the league for years to come as players become faster and more versatile. None of our backups have the ability to break the big play. Also use Sellers more!! He's an athletic player whose abilities are lost in the WC offense.

WR - What a mess!! I guess we are stuck with hoping the new guys mature and become good football players. There are some in the know that suggest our draft picks will become good starters. There are just too many other needs to use our FA money and Draft Picks on.

TE - The true bright spot on the team. Cooley is an ALL-PRO and Davis will be the Pass catching TE of the future, while Yoder continues to be a good blocking TE along with ST skills.

OL - Too Old.. Too Slow.. Enough is enough already.. Promote Heyer and start using our top draft picks on an OL of the future. We did it once here in Washington and the success was evident for a decade.

DE - Taylor and this bunch should have been addressed last off season, but here we are again. This line is servicable but that is where it ends, nothing spectacular, and in the NFL of today a pass rush and speed to defend the Wildcat is a must!

LB - Fletcher is an ALL-PRO, beyond that again it's time for a overhaul. McIntosh maybe should be given another year, but I'm afraid for all the good times Washington has given this team, his best days are behind him. Depth continues to be a problem, with little ST support from this unit beyond K.Campbell

S- The only position the Skins will be solid for years to come. Horton and Landry in the right scheme will be rocks of the defense.

CB- Lots of $$ here, with any kind of pass rush, from the front four this unit, minus Springs retirement can be one of the best in football.

K- Suisham is the least of our concerns unless some FA comes about that blows the front offices mind.

P- Plackemeier is a serviceable punter for a team that has seen a revolving door at this positon.

I could go into more depth but in conclusion this team really needs to turn over half it's roster in the next two years or we when looking up the definition of middle of the road, a picture of the Skins helmet will be right there.

:dallasuck

No we dont need to blow it up? with the salary cap its actually not an option anyway. We have the basis of a good team to carry us through several years.

However there are some key areas we will need to address.

On defense Springs and Washington are hurt too much, are on the downside and are too expensive. Both will be gone.

Hall is a ready made replacement for Springs but we will need to find an SLB to replace Washington - one who can generate some pass rush would be nice!

Griffin is also probably a candidate to go based on age, nagging injuroies and falling production. An upgrade at DT is the other big need on the line. Carter and Taylor are essentially the same player - we need a LDE who can hold the point versus the run as well as generating some pass rush.

On offense is starts and ends with the O'line for me. Jansen is probably done and I'm not sure Heyer is the answer so we need an upgrade at RT. Centre is another area where we need an upgrade - Rabach gets pushed around too much. Add in LG where Kendall is still playing well but is getting right to the end of his physical rope and is free agent. If the rookie we took is not ready we need a starter there as well.

The die is cast at WR - better hope that one of Thomas or Kelly steps up and is ready to start opposite Moss next year.

Clearly almost every thread on here is about Jason Campbell but for me he will be fine if we can protect him.

So my take is two new starters on D - DT and SLB and two new starters on offense RT and C (plus a prayer re the WR spot).

Danny is still convinced the team is two free agents away from winning a superbowl.

This is why they traded a 2nd and 6th round pick for Jason Taylor (34 years old).

The Danny and VInny show needs to be cancelled. They are the reason we are mediocrity in action.

Silly to think the WR position would be taken care of in the rookies first year. Anyone who knows better knows that generally it takes a WR 3 years to get "it." So, if you were one of the guys that thought Thomas or Kelly was going to come in and seriously contribute this year...you are the one that needs your football knowledge blown up.

FYI - Our DL sucks, though they were much more active vs. NYG. Even when we blitz and have 6 guys rushing the QB...we never get there or apply pressure. We might have the worst blitzing in the NFL.

Danny is still convinced the team is two free agents away from winning a superbowl.

This is why they traded a 2nd and 6th round pick for Jason Taylor (34 years old).

If we sign a OT and a G in the offseason, while still having the guys we have now, our line becomes solid again.

2 young receivers with a year under their belts and a TE to boot.

A second offseason for Zorn to really work with JC, now that he knows what he has there.

Maybe our passing game really takes off.

Add that to an already great D and running game and we may actually only be 2 FA's away from a championship.

Here's the record under Dan. I'll put a star (*) by the years Vinny wa making key decisions. This past year was really the first year he had complete control.

Dan takes over.

1999: 10-6, 11-7 overall. Only time a Norval team overachieved.

*2000: 8-8. 6-2 start leads to 7-6 and firing of Norv.

Marty

2001: 8-8. 0-5 start probably doomed him. Snyder wasn't having fun.

Spurrier

*(Defered alot to Spurrier) 2002: 7-9. All ego and nothing else.

*2003: 5-11. We started 3-1, which included a win over Pats.

Gibbs II

2004: 6-10. Dissappointing year 1 for Gibbs II.

2005: 10-6, 11-7 overall. We have to win 5 in a row to make playoffs, I think.

2006: 5-11. Very disappointing year.

2007: 9-7, 9-8 overall. Tragedy. Yet, we make the playoffs before it ended.

Zorn

*2008: 7-5 so far. Could finish anywhere from 7-9 to 11-5.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Washington Redskins are a mediocre team. The have alternated from being awful to just mediocre since Gibbs retired in the spring of 1993.

It's time to accept we are nothing more than mediocre. I have no confidence in Dan Snyder to actually get someone who will make us a consistent winning team that contends for a superbowl.

Look at which teams has had the most consistant success this decade. New England(albeit through videotaping), Pittsburgh,Indianapolis,Philadelphia.

We gave alot of deference to Jim Zorn this year with our draft picks. He didn't earn it. What did he do prior to this year? He was just a QB coach.

I'm sorry but you don't have 3 picks in second round and not have at least one of them have an immediate impact in their rookie year. You don't draft 1st, 2nd rounders to develop. That's with the later rounds.

I don't see Snyder ever having a quality person handling personnel. His little puppet Vinny will forever be running this team.

As long as this team makes Snyder money; he will never change.

QB: Depends what we do with Todd Collins. I wouldn't bring another youngster in when we have Colt. I'd bring a vet in if anything.

RB: Draft a young back in the late rounds or get a UDFA.

WR: I personally do not like Randle-El. I doubt we will get rid of him though. If Thrash doesn't stick around, I'd bring in another vet who can also return kicks and punts.

TE: Let Yoder go and get a better blocking TE.

OL: Let Jansen go and possibly Kendall. Spend some draft picks here.

DL: Cut Jason Taylor, Phillip Daniels(or restructure) and probably Griff(or restructure). Spend some draft picks here.

LBs: Let Marcus go. He is injured too often and has lost a step. His cap number is too high to keep around. I'd try signing a FA and draft another in the late rounds.

DBs: Let Springs go, unless he is willing to restructure. Resign DeAngelo.

K/P: Bring in more competition. There has to be something better out there.

If we sign a OT and a G in the offseason, while still having the guys we have now, our line becomes solid again.

2 young receivers with a year under their belts and a TE to boot.

A second offseason for Zorn to really work with JC, now that he knows what he has there.

Maybe our passing game really takes off.

Add that to an already great D and running game and we may actually only be 2 FA's away from a championship.

Isn't that what we tell ourselves every season? If we just concentrate on the OL and let our LB core sit the way it is, we are one injury away from a horrible LB core with little depth. This team has way too many problems for a couple of new players to be the answer. In my opinion anyways.

Well, there will probably be some natural attrition that will happen after this year. Springs and Jansen are probably already gone and Washington will probably follow pending finding a replacement for him. Depending on how Reinhardt is doing in his development, Kendall could either return, either as a starter or a reserve. We could see the end of Griffin here as well, depending if they can find that guy who can be a dominant DT.

But, there is no reason to "blow things up". We have a lot of good young talented players who are still developing. No reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Well, there will probably be some natural attrition that will happen after this year. Springs and Jansen are probably already gone and Washington will probably follow pending finding a replacement for him. Depending on how Reinhardt is doing in his development, Kendall could either return, either as a starter or a reserve. We could see the end of Griffin here as well, depending if they can find that guy who can be a dominant DT.

But, there is no reason to "blow things up". We have a lot of good young talented players who are still developing. No reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I agree, Don't throw the baby out. But do throw out the geriatrics.

Has Vinny Cerrato ever traded one of our players for draft picks?

Gardner, Ramsey, Arch.

Granted, not high draft picks, but we did get something for those players. We aren't much for the resale market, tho. We mostly play players until the tires fall off.

I'll actually be interested to see if we do try to trade Springs. Even with his age, he still has a lot of value.

Gardner, Ramsey, Arch.

Granted, not high draft picks, but we did get something for those players. We aren't much for the resale market, tho. We mostly play players until the tires fall off.

I'll actually be interested to see if we do try to trade Springs. Even with his age, he still has a lot of value.

I'd be interested to see if Vinny ever trades a player for high draft picks. I think he might be incapable of doing so. At his age, Springs wouldn't command much....or shouldn't anyways...*ahem* Jason Taylor...

I'd be interested to see if Vinny ever trades a player for high draft picks. I think he might be incapable of doing so. At his age, Springs wouldn't command much....or shouldn't anyways...*ahem* Jason Taylor...

Trading a player for a high pick is usually not a good sign with a team. It means that a perfectly good player needs to be moved either because you can't keep him or a talented player has become so much of a problem that he can't stay.

Trading a player for a high pick is usually not a good sign with a team. It means that a perfectly good player needs to be moved either because you can't keep him or a talented player has become so much of a problem that he can't stay.

If the team is rebuilding, it's a great idea. Remember Herschel Walker? The Dolphins seem to be doing pretty good without Jason Taylor and they have the Redskin's 2nd and 6th 2009 pick.

Has Vinny Cerrato ever traded one of our players for draft picks?

Yes. Ramsey was traded to the Jets for picks. :)

The O-Line and D-Line need to be blown up. Everything else is servicable for the time being. I give JC 2 consecutive years in the same system to see what happens.

All the hate being spewed at JC, but people forget that it's also the receivers first year in this season as well. All is not right in Denmark, as they say. Something needs to get fixed. I'm just hoping that the Lines get addressed in the off season, and the QB/Receivers get a chance to really get on the same page, including the rookies. Because if that happens, good things can happen.

Archived