Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Time to Blow it Up?

worldpost

We don’t need to overreact but we do need to start rebuilding the lines. This team was playing pretty well when it was healthy and now due to that, its not nearly as physical. I think there will be some free agents brought in this year and the entire draft and off season should be focused on the both lines and LBs. This team just doesn’t have the depth to handle injuries. Other teams are getting them to right now and they just keep going. We are slowing/wearing down as through the year.

QB - regardless of what anyone thinks we are in great shape here.

RB - Still in good shape if we can avoid the injuries

WR - We have good talent here but it needs to develope fast!

TE – Excellent shape

OL - We need players who can play a whole season and stay healthy

DL - We have great role players but need a stud in the middle

LB - Again, we have good players but nothing special and little depth

Secondary - As good as any

Now that that’s out of the way… Let’s hope we go win these last games and see if we can get healthy in the process. Just maybe everyone will be surprised!

Redskins are facing rebuilding; how quickly it happens will depend on management. We are currently a veteran team, if you are winning that's great let's go for the top, if you are not winning, then you are faced with rebuilding. Our team is getting weaker as the season goes on not stronger. We have needs at both lines, RB, LB and potentially QB.

This coupled with a rookie coach that needs an O coordinator will make for a very important off season. We must build through the draft not free agency. Must draft for needs. Fred Davis was a wasted pick unless we deal Cooley. Not suggesting that we do, but we need to get younger...

QB - Let Collins go. Bring in a vet QB. If we make the playoffs I would stick with Campbell for the start of next season. If we miss the playoffs I would have an open QB competition next season.

RB - Let Rock go. Draft a mid round RB to return kicks and punts in the mold of Chris Johnson. I would even take a shot at James Davis or CJ Spiller he comes out.

WR - Let Thrash go and I would trade ARE for ANYTHING. He makes WAY too much money for horrible production. Bring in a vet WR or use a 7th round pick on one. Have a battle between the 7th round pick and Gant and Aromashodu on the PS who have shown ability.

TE - We are set there. I could care less if Yoder stays or goes because Cooley and Davis are going to be an elite combo.

T - Let Jansen go! Sign Jordan Gross in the offseason to take over at RT.

G - Resign Kendall for dirt cheap and if he wont take it then cut him. Draft Duke Robinson with our first overall pick. Have Robinson and Rinehart battle for Kendall's spot because if we resign him its only for depth.

C - Rabach can start for another year. His replacement will be coming soon.

DE - I would take a DE in the 3rd round. We have a number of players here that arent playing up to standards. Get the best pass rushing DE available. We have Evans as a run stuffing DE who gets decent pressure (since he is leading our team with sacks)

DT - Sign Albert Haynesworth. His pressure up the middle would drastically improve our outside pass rush ability. Let Griffin go. He is old and nowhere near what he used to be.

OLB - Let Marcus Washington go. Or make him take a paycut if he wants to stay. He would be great depth if not injured but thats the problem he is always injured. Sign Angelo Crowell or Channing Crowder to replace MW. Crowell would be my first choice because he has played with Fletcher. I would also use a draft pick on a LB here as well. Later round draft picks have worked out for us at LB before (Blades). Id also keep Fincher for his special teams play.

MLB - I would leave this alone. We are set here for now.

CB - Let Springs go! If he wont take a MAJOR paycut then dump him. Way too fragile for the NFL anymore. Resign Hall as well. Use another draft pick on a CB as well.

S - We are golden here. Horton and Landry for years to come. Reed and Moore are good depth.

P - UDFA competition will be needed here.

K - SUISHAM HAS TO GO!!!!!! I cant stand watching him miss basically everything he kicks anymore. Id bring in 2 UDFA and just dump him.

So here is a breakdown:

Cuts:

Rock Cartwright

James Thrash

Antwaan Randle El

Todd Yoder

Jon Jansen

Marcus Washington

Cornelius Griffin

Shawn Springs

FAs:

Jordan Gross - RT

Albert Haynesworth - DT

Angelo Crowell/Channing Crowder - OLB

Draft Picks:

1 - Duke Robinson - G

3 - DE/RB

5 - CB

7 - OLB

7 - RB/DE

7 - WR

UDFA:

K - 2

P - 1

All the hate being spewed at JC, but people forget that it's also the receivers first year in this season as well. All is not right in Denmark, as they say. Something needs to get fixed.

Love the Hamlet reference - hard to beat a bit of Shakespeare - however as I recall things did not end well in that saga, its called a tradgedy for a reason.

Alas, poor Jon Jansen, I knew him .......

That's just it. For Snyder, it's a business. As long as the stadium sells out and he turns a profit, the team is successful.

I sometimes feel the same way. I do feel like Snyder does want to see the team succeed, but not over the chance to make a buck. As you stated, as long as the stadium is packed, I don't think he cares very much how many of the crowd has on a different color jersey. In the land of Burgundy and Gold, green has taken top billing. Sure Jason Taylor is probably past his prime and not worth what we gave up but think of all the jerseys we'll sell!!! I don't know why but after stinking it up for the most part since 92 it's still hard for me to accept our mediocrity.

Guest sith lord
The Danny and VInny show needs to be cancelled. They are the reason we are mediocrity in action.

I might get blasted for this, but if memory serves me correctly, when we were winning, Gibbs deserved the credit, but now that we're losing, the blame is Snyders and Vinnys?

Guest sith lord
Look for Snyder to sign Mcnabb in 2009 when phila cuts him

I'll take McNabb over JC any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

QB- Continue to groom Colt, pickup a FA QB to and get rid of Collins..position not THAT big of a deal IMO.

RB- I agree with the scat back to compliment Portis..I love Betts but he's not getting it done on a CONSISTENT basis. Sellers DEFINITELY needs to be utitlized more before he wants out and then we're **** outta luck

WR - Continue to work with DT & Kelly..drop Thrash bum ass for another viable WR

TE - Cooley is a stud, Davis is the future (work with him more) drop Heyer if there is another decent TE available

OL - We need some fresh blood on that line..OL is HORRIBLE

DE - Again, we need fresh blood on the line..SPEED..AGILITY..POWER

LB - Fletcher is a beast but he's getting old..need to do something with out LBs..I agree that we should give Rocky one more year..Blades aint gonna cut it neither..we need some QUALITY depth at that position..Khary Campbell is NOT the LB of the future

S- We're good on this

CB- Smoot is STILL a bum but I like the recent pickup of Hall..he is gonna do alot for us..get someone to replace Springs

K- I don't know about yall but this guy Suisham is too inconsistent for me..we need to do something about that

P- Plackemeier is OKAY

QB - Let Collins go. Bring in a vet QB. If we make the playoffs I would stick with Campbell for the start of next season. If we miss the playoffs I would have an open QB competition next season.

RB - Let Rock go. Draft a mid round RB to return kicks and punts in the mold of Chris Johnson. I would even take a shot at James Davis or CJ Spiller he comes out.

WR - Let Thrash go and I would trade ARE for ANYTHING. He makes WAY too much money for horrible production. Bring in a vet WR or use a 7th round pick on one. Have a battle between the 7th round pick and Gant and Aromashodu on the PS who have shown ability.

TE - We are set there. I could care less if Yoder stays or goes because Cooley and Davis are going to be an elite combo.

T - Let Jansen go! Sign Jordan Gross in the offseason to take over at RT.

G - Resign Kendall for dirt cheap and if he wont take it then cut him. Draft Duke Robinson with our first overall pick. Have Robinson and Rinehart battle for Kendall's spot because if we resign him its only for depth.

C - Rabach can start for another year. His replacement will be coming soon.

DE - I would take a DE in the 3rd round. We have a number of players here that arent playing up to standards. Get the best pass rushing DE available. We have Evans as a run stuffing DE who gets decent pressure (since he is leading our team with sacks)

DT - Sign Albert Haynesworth. His pressure up the middle would drastically improve our outside pass rush ability. Let Griffin go. He is old and nowhere near what he used to be.

OLB - Let Marcus Washington go. Or make him take a paycut if he wants to stay. He would be great depth if not injured but thats the problem he is always injured. Sign Angelo Crowell or Channing Crowder to replace MW. Crowell would be my first choice because he has played with Fletcher. I would also use a draft pick on a LB here as well. Later round draft picks have worked out for us at LB before (Blades). Id also keep Fincher for his special teams play.

MLB - I would leave this alone. We are set here for now.

CB - Let Springs go! If he wont take a MAJOR paycut then dump him. Way too fragile for the NFL anymore. Resign Hall as well. Use another draft pick on a CB as well.

S - We are golden here. Horton and Landry for years to come. Reed and Moore are good depth.

P - UDFA competition will be needed here.

K - SUISHAM HAS TO GO!!!!!! I cant stand watching him miss basically everything he kicks anymore. Id bring in 2 UDFA and just dump him.

So here is a breakdown:

Cuts:

Rock Cartwright

James Thrash

Antwaan Randle El

Todd Yoder

Jon Jansen

Marcus Washington

Cornelius Griffin

Shawn Springs

FAs:

Jordan Gross - RT

Albert Haynesworth - DT

Angelo Crowell/Channing Crowder - OLB

Draft Picks:

1 - Duke Robinson - G

3 - DE/RB

5 - CB

7 - OLB

7 - RB/DE

7 - WR

UDFA:

K - 2

P - 1

... this is a well thought out plan. Although I am worried about the "Dana Stubblefield" effect of signing a Haynesworth player in a contract year, there is no doubt he would be a major upgrade. But I don't see Tenn letting him go, and I don't think we can afford him, unless we release several other players from our squad ... in which we would have to really nail our few draft picks for depth, that has been an issue as well.

Skins need a new look on offense. I would dump Campbell, Portis, Moss, Thrash, ARE, Samuels, Jansen and Rabach. I would go with youth a la Parcells. I would buy a new Defense on FA and I would draft Beanie Wells with my No. 1. A new uniform design without the "Native-American" logo also will help.

Silly to think the WR position would be taken care of in the rookies first year. Anyone who knows better knows that generally it takes a WR 3 years to get "it." So, if you were one of the guys that thought Thomas or Kelly was going to come in and seriously contribute this year...you are the one that needs your football knowledge blown up.

FYI - Our DL sucks, though they were much more active vs. NYG. Even when we blitz and have 6 guys rushing the QB...we never get there or apply pressure. We might have the worst blitzing in the NFL.

Deshawn Jackson

Eddie Royal

Donnie Avery

Harry Douglas

Devon Bess

These guys seem to contributing as rookies!!!

Guest sith lord
Deshawn Jackson

Eddie Royal

Donnie Avery

Harry Douglas

Devon Bess

These guys seem to contributing as rookies!!!

Didn't you know it takes "OUR" rookies longer than everybody elses rookies to contribute? Why is that?

Being a Skins for fan my entire life, this is a really tough post to make, however it's time for the front office to realize that the NFL has changed, and this roster needs a major overhaul in personal.

Here are my thoughts by position.

QB- Draft a young QB to replace T.Collins and groom him to replace J.Campbell if his progress continues to stall in making the right read, and holding onto the ball.

Not this year. I'd wait on drafting a QB until 2010. Next season should be about seeing if Colt can be anything other than a backup or a journeyman, jpotentially a last shot for Campbell unless he loses the QB battle. If there are any major quality QB's available as vets, I'd consider targeting that. We don't have a draft pick to use on a quality QB until '10 at the earliest.

RB- Find a scat back. Anyone remember J. Washington? The new NFL will have the wildcat offense in the league for years to come as players become faster and more versatile. None of our backups have the ability to break the big play. Also use Sellers more!! He's an athletic player whose abilities are lost in the WC offense.

I think we're fine at RB. It's just about the one position (along w/DB and TE) that I think we can afford to stand pat on because it's taken care of. I just wish we could have kept Marcus Mason.

WR - What a mess!! I guess we are stuck with hoping the new guys mature and become good football players. There are some in the know that suggest our draft picks will become good starters. There are just too many other needs to use our FA money and Draft Picks on.

Yep. Completely agreed. We invested plenty of picks and money on this position since '06. It's time to sit tight and hope for the best.

TE - The true bright spot on the team. Cooley is an ALL-PRO and Davis will be the Pass catching TE of the future, while Yoder continues to be a good blocking TE along with ST skills.

Yep. Agreed, wasting a second on Davis was moronic.

OL - Too Old.. Too Slow.. Enough is enough already.. Promote Heyer a
nd start using our top draft picks on an OL of the future. We did it once here in Washington and the success was evident for a decade.....DE - Taylor and this bunch should have been addressed last off season, but here we are again. This line is servicable but that is where it ends, nothing spectacular, and in the NFL of today a pass rush and speed to defend the Wildcat is a must!

Some of us have been screaming about this since this site came up/or we joined it. We've been largely ignored or ridiculed as the team has used every day one draft pick imaginable on everything OTHER than the lines. The only draft picks used on the lines since 2000, were 3rd rounders in 2003 and 2008 on Guards. One Defensive Lineman has been drafted in round 1 between 1993 and 2009. This is why we continually have to waste massive wads of cap cash on the most expensive free agent positions imaginable. Use 2nd's, and 3rds and low firsts, and its much more cap effective. We are too stupid to do this. The DL has basically been a FA bonanza since 1996:

'96: Trade for Fat Gilbert.

'97: Draft Kenard Lang

'98: Trade for Big Fatty, Sign Stubbystank

'99-'02: Sign Marco Coleman, Bruce Smith, someone else who I forgot?

'03: Sign Darryl Gardener

'04-'06: Sign C. Griffin, P. Daniels, R. Wynn, A. Carter late round draft picks used on K. Golston and Monty.

Basically for a decade we filled the DL w/nothing but rent-a-wreck vets, and the occasional in his prime vet. This is largely why we've rarely had consistent cap space, and why we can never solve either line problem long term. The OL was actually addressed intelligently for a while, but then left alone to collect cobwebs from '04-today:

'99: Get Jon Jansen in trade up round 2.

'00: Get Samuels in round 2.

'03: Get Randy Thomas via trade (or was it FA signing? I forgot), draft D. Dockery in third round.

'05: Get C. Raybach via Free Agency

It's pretty obvious to see which method worked better. The only problem we had was that that the line we built ran into problems when Jansen's career was essentially broken by a serious foot injury in '04. Since then we've had two deal w/multiple Jansen and Thomas injuries that have hurt the OL, but the way the OL was built gave us a very good OL for the most part from '01-06/'07 as long as R. Thomas healthy and we had decent C player. We've been killed this year because Jansen is past it, and Raybach is losing effectiveness, and just like in '04 when people were worried R. Thomas was overrated, R. Thomas is again having to compensate for terrible work to the left and right of him the vast majority of the time.

To fix both lines we'll require the bulk of free agent monies available, and day 1 draft picks from '09-'11, i would use every single one of those draft picks on OL or DL, w/the exception of a draft pick or two for LB, as Washington and Fletcher will obviously need replacements and/or depth behind potential free agents signed to replace them.

For the lines, we can sit tight at RG w/Thomas for another season, and Samuels can still play solid ball, but I do think we have to find answers for Left Guard, Center, and Right Tackle in the next two offseasons, as well as LDE and LDT. The Golston and Monty roatation can suffice for now. I worry about A. Carter as well, but I think if we get help behind him at LB, and a quality DT or DE to draw attention could help him a good deal.

The '09 and '10 offseasons should get us this:

1 DT, 1 LDE, 1 C, 1 G, 1 OT. I would suggest at least 3 day one draft picks in the next two years be used for the OL and DL. The other two positions should be addressed for the time being via free agency.

LB - Fletcher is an ALL-PRO, beyond that again it's time for a overhaul. McIntosh maybe should be given another year, but I'm afraid for all the good times Washington has given this team, his best days are behind him. Depth continues to be a problem, with little ST support from this unit beyond K.Campbell

Washington IS over. We got five years out of him, 3 very good, two not so good. He needs replacing, we're going to sit tight with McIntosh, Fletcher, Blades, and Campbell and probably sign or draft a quality LB in '09 or '10, hopefully not over line help though.

S- The only position the Skins will be solid for years to come. Horton and Landry in the right scheme will be rocks of the defense.

Agreed. Safety should be ignored for quite a while considering the problems at OL, DL, LB, and QB.

CB- Lots of $$ here, with any kind of pass rush, from the front four this unit, minus Springs retirement can be one of the best in football.

I would be ecstatic if we could resign Hall at a reasonable price. I'd leave this position alone so long as we don't lose Springs AND Hall.

ST- Suisham is the least of our concerns unless some FA comes about that blows the front offices mind.

P- Plackemeier is a serviceable punter for a team that has seen a revolving door at this positon.

I disagree, i think they both suck. Suisham is not a great kicker, or a good one, he can potentially be competant, but that's it. Plack just sucks. No draft picks should be used on this, just try and land challengers of some quality in the offseason. Kicking usually can give you a win a year, and some years ('00 comes to mind) kicking can end up costing you as many as 3 or 4 games). We should address it, but not w/draft picks.

I could go into more depth but in conclusion this team really needs to turn over half it's roster in the next two years or we when looking up the definition of middle of the road, a picture of the Skins helmet will be right there.

:dallasuck

I don't think we can change it that dramatically. My three year plan would be this:

'09 offseason:

Draft the best OL/DL available in rounds 1 and 3. For Free Agency, resign Hall, sign one mid-level free agent LB to start, and an OL and DL to start for next year.

OL:

J. Gross

M. Tauscher

V. Carey

S. Andrews

S. McKinney

DL:

B. Berry

T. Suggs

T. Harris

W. Smith

LB:

J. Vilma

K. Dansby

Some of these guys may not be available, some may be, but they are targets that would interest me.

Archived