Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wll whaddya Know...Steelers fans infilatrate Foxborough...

RedskinsNation

Watching the Steelers/Pats game....for the 2nd time in less than 30 mins Dan Dierdorf mentions how many Steelers fans have "infiltrated" Foxborough...and he adds..."as they always do, everywhere".

Hopefully the Pats ticket office is concocting a policy to keep tix out of enemy hands, what a bunch of fair weather fans those Pats have!!!! :D

Like I said before...the Steelers represent EVERYWHERE.

Watching the Steelers/Pats game....for the 2nd time in less than 30 mins Dan Dierdorf mentions how many Steelers fans have "infiltrated" Foxborough...and he adds..."as they always do, everywhere".

Hopefully the Pats ticket office is concocting a policy to keep tix out of enemy hands, what a bunch of fair weather fans those Pats have!!!! :D

Like I said before...the Steelers represent EVERYWHERE.

Actually, the Pats have notoriously fair weather fans. Except for 1996, no one in Boston gave a crap about the Patriots until Tom Brady started playing.

Actually, the Pats have notoriously fair weather fans. Except for 1996, no one in Boston gave a crap about the Patriots until Tom Brady started playing.

Yep.

I spent time trolling their boards last year and they are worse than many bandwagon Redskin fans.

Foxborough is a stadium much like Fed Ex: too big, far outside its supposed home city, expensive tickets from a money-grubbing owner, horrible parking situation. All the reasons that otherwise good, loyal fans sell their Fed Ex tickets apply aptly to fans at Gillette.

Three teams that travel the best are Pittsburgh, Dallas and Green Bay... You'll see them in EVERY stadium.

It helps them to have national fan bases. Green Bay was revived by Brett Favre. They didn't exactly invade stadiums when Majik and Lynn Dickey were under center. Most of those fans that fill up opposing stadiums are usually locals.

In the case of Pittsburgh, it's easy to build a fanbase and keep them when you've only had 3 losing seasons the last 17 years and on your way to your 12th postseason appearance in that time. The Bradshaw era helped start it. That franchise spent the first half of its existence as one of the worst in the NFL

Three teams that travel the best are Pittsburgh, Dallas and Green Bay... You'll see them in EVERY stadium.

The Steelers are the only of those teams that actually "travel". The Cowboys and Packers are simply teams with national followings thanks to their past success.

Fanbases that actually travel well are Pittsburgh, Philly, and Kansas City.

Bill Simmons had a decent article about this last week.

Home field advantage has left the building

For the first 11 weeks of the regular season, home-field advantage has not mattered like it once did.

I realized this during the Bears-Colts game in Week 1, when Kyle Orton waltzed into Indy and ruined the grand opening of Lucas Oil Stadium, the latest state-of-the-art football venue that seems much more interested in looking cool and making money over, you know, actually helping its home team win games. The place was so dead for four quarters that you could almost hear John Madden salivating over his postgame meal of fried turkey legs, blooming onions and Lipitor parmigiana. You could have laid a baby down at midfield, and it wouldn't have woken up.

Following Chicago's upset victory, after I had finished rejoicing that the Colts willingly gave away the trump card of a deafening Hoosier Dome, I remembered a conversation between me and my buddy Bug right before the season. Bug and his crew have owned season tickets for the Patriots since 1993. Once upon a time, nobody loved attending NFL games more than them. Bug woke up on Sundays at 7:45 a.m. no matter how hung over he was, paid the prostitute and asked her to leave (OK, that's not true), took a quick shower (not true either), squeezed himself into his Willie McGinest jersey, packed his car with beer and food, picked up his pals, packed more beer and more food, and then they zoomed down Route 1 to Foxboro and snatched a choice parking spot right next to the stadium.

A massive, ambitious, artery-clogging tailgate commenced. Bug's friend Niko (the Wolfgang Puck of tailgaters) assumed command of the grill and sneered at everyone who got in his way. Everyone else ate and drank, smoked cigarettes or cigars and discouraged their buddy Grover from starting potential fights for reasons like "That loser in the Jets jersey keeps eyeballing me" and "I just don't like the way that guy with the earring looks -- he looks a little too pleased with himself, if you ask me." At 12:30 p.m., they packed everything up and headed toward the field, where they sat on freezing-cold aluminum bleachers in a lovable cesspool called Foxboro Stadium and cheered their crummy team.

And you know what? They loved it. They were part of something. When Gillette Stadium opened eight months after New England's first Super Bowl title, the boys reacted like Tom Hanks in "Cast Away" right after his rescue, when he's wandering around an empty hotel room after the "Welcome Back!" party, looking at the high-rise tray of fresh seafood and wondering what the hell just happened. Suddenly, it was harder to get there and harder to park. Many die-hards were nudged to the third level of the stadium, with their noise drifting toward the sky instead of the field. The lower seats and suites were dominated by some die-hards and an inordinate amount of laid-back, well-connected fans who weren't exactly painting their faces before games.

The chasm between the "haves" and the "have-nots" was jarring. I've attended three Pats games in the Gillette Mausoleum and always felt like I had been transported into a David Lynch movie in which everything looked slightly the same, only it isn't even remotely the same. Throw in the dirty secret that it isn't really fun to attend an NFL game in the 21st century -- the routine of "kickoff, TV timeout, three plays, punt, TV timeout, five plays, field goal, TV timeout, kickoff, TV timeout, someone gets hurt on first down, prolonged TV timeout, three more plays, touchdown, extra point, TV timeout, kickoff, TV timeout" gets old after about 25 minutes -- and by 2006 Bug's friends were making pro-and-con lists for keeping their tickets.

---

More at the link, but you get the idea

Thing about Steeler fans is they're spoiled. It doesn't take any work to be a Steelers fan. They're a perennial winner. They've never really known losing.

I'd like to see the Steelers put together a run like Philly or us had in the 90s, then come talk to us about how great a fanbase they are. My guess? They'd disperse like roaches when the lights come on.

Thing about Steeler fans is they're spoiled. It doesn't take any work to be a Steelers fan. They're a perennial winner. They've never really known losing.

I'd like to see the Steelers put together a run like Philly or us had in the 90s, then come talk to us about how great a fanbase they are. My guess? They'd disperse like roaches when the lights come on.

They did have the late 80s (the end of the Knoll era) and early 90s

If you recall, we crushed them in 1991 in Pittsburgh, 41-14, playing our backups the entire 4th quarter

They did have the late 80s (the end of the Knoll era) and early 90s

If you recall, we crushed them in 1991 in Pittsburgh, 41-14, playing our backups the entire 4th quarter

So were they travelling and filling up opposing team's stadiums then?

Or did Skins fans take over 3 rivers?

They were bottom feeders before 1974's awesome draft class, whose biggest claim to fame before their Super Bowl run, was cutting Johny Unitas.

not disputing your point, just saying they saw some bad times and still had a loyal fan base before the glory years.

Philly? traveling an hour or two to DC or NY, isn't impressive... you never see them at away games that require real travel time.

Untrue.

I remember national attention for our attendance at games in Miami, Tampa, and San Francisco in recent years.

Those are the games in which I remember national voices commenting on the prevalence of Eagles fans; there are plenty others of which no one took notice.

There is always a sizable presence of Eagles fans during road games.

Archived