Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Field Goal That Wasn't

Fan035

Gowdowski (sp?) missed a chip shot at the end of the half for New England.

Does he suck?

Should he be cut for costing his team momentum?

Come on now, a high school kicker can hit 20 yard field goals. I'm pretty sure I can still go out there and hit a 20 yarder.

Boy that guy sucks, he missed that kick and cost his team dearly.

See how stupid the rationals (if you want to call it that....I'd call it hysterics) for bashing Suisham have been?

The guy is in a funk right now, no disputing that. But he's been a good kicker for us and has been perfect on game winning kicks. Unless this funk continues for the rest of the season, I see no reason to even bring in competition next year in training camp.

Gowdowski (sp?) missed a chip shot at the end of the half for New England.

Does he suck?

Should he be cut for costing his team momentum?

If it became an every week or every other week scenario? Yes. Absolutely, without a doubt.

Come on now, a high school kicker can hit 20 yard field goals. I'm pretty sure I can still go out there and hit a 20 yarder.

Boy that guy sucks, he missed that kick and cost his team dearly.

See how stupid the rationals (if you want to call it that....I'd call it hysterics) for bashing Suisham have been?

The guy is in a funk right now, no disputing that. But he's been a good kicker for us and has been perfect on game winning kicks. Unless this funk continues for the rest of the season, I see no reason to even bring in competition next year in training camp.

If things don't improve RIGHT NOW, I see no reason to keep this guy on our roster. There is NO REASON, nay even an excuse for why a kicker, whose only job is to...uhh...uhhh...ummm....oh yeah, KICK FIELD GOALS to be missing them from such short range. For a Professional football kicker, 40 yards is reasonable range for anyone. However, for the record...

Now I don't feel so bad. I just watched NEs kicker miss a FG from about 23 yards out.

It matters because a score right before halftime is a psychological boost going into the second half.

You would have thought that the skins didnt need a psychological boost off of a FG. They are (were) in a conference wide playoff race, they were playing for a fallen teamate, they could play better than they did against this team on opening night!!..... it shouldnt have came down to a freakin FG att to give them a psychological boost.....what more did they need to play for??

Coach said the snap was high and the whole thing was messed up as a result. He couldn't get his feet planted right because he was already in motion while the holder had to slam the ball down.

I know Suisham isn't the best out there just yet but we have had an awful experience signing veteran kickers and we have run guys like David Akers out of town when they were in the same boat. By all means, bring some guys into camp but if they can't immediately out-perform Suisham, he's still our guy. Let's not forget how he nailed two 50-yarders in high wind at Giants Stadium last year. He has the tools.

Yeah, I heard that, too. I'm tired of mediocre performance being excused and explained away by the coaching staff. Blanche was very non-plussed about the Giants receivers catching so many balls in front of us on 3rd down and Zorn was making excuses for the kicker. Look, he is paid a lot of money to kick balls through those uprights, even when the situation isn't perfect. It has come to a point where he is hurting the team with his lame efforts.

Someone on the coaching staff needs to light a fire under these guys. Maybe a little filleting in the press will speak to their pride. Losing certainly hasn't driven them to play with any more inspiration.

sellyoursol - Why did you ask if I was kidding if you were livid?

Your point is completely valid, just 2 hours and 15 minutes late...this was discussed ad nauseum in each of the in-game threads. However, I do realize that not everyone reads through those.

I apologize for the tenor of my initial reply...I was feeling quite punchy after the game. Please don't hold it against me. :cheers:

Archived