Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obama Small Donor Claims

Art Monk Fan

Report Says Obama's Small-Donor Base Claim Is Off

By Ken Dilanian, USA TODAY

WASHINGTON — Despite attracting millions of new contributors to his campaign, President-elect Barack Obama received about the same percentage of his total political funds from small donors as President Bush did in 2004, according to a study released today by the non-partisan Campaign Finance Institute.

The analysis undercuts Obama's claim that his supporters "changed the way campaigns are funded" by reducing the influence of special-interest givers.

First, the claim to change "decades of partisan politics as usual" is undercut by putting the Clinton team back together.

Now, the claim to "change the way campaigns are funded" turns out to be empty rhetoric.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss -- very disappointing.

LINK

I think they're playing with language. Same percentage of funds does not mean same percentage of donors. Everyone throughout the election has uniformly stated that Obama's internet advantage and his ability to get so many 10, 20, 25 dollar donations added up to a big advantage. More, it gave him a huge database of people to contact and keep in the loop.

The gross percentage may be similar, but the mechanisms to get to that number was different.

Forty-eight percent of Obama's total take came from donors of $1,000 or more, compared with 56% for John Kerry and 60% for both Bush and John McCain, the analysis found.

It's funny how they spell out "forty-eight" but write 56% and 60% using numbers.

In other words 52% of Obama's donations came from people who donated $1,000 or less. 40% of Bush and John McCain donations came from people who donated $1,000 or less.

It's funny how they spell out "forty-eight" but write 56% and 60% using numbers.

In other words 52% of Obama's donations came from people who donated $1,000 or less. 40% of Bush and John McCain donations came from people who donated $1,000 or less.

That's just AP Style -- you spell out numerals over nine, when they start a sentence.

P.S. I'm an editor.

I think they're playing with language. Same percentage of funds does not mean same percentage of donors. Everyone throughout the election has uniformly stated that Obama's internet advantage and his ability to get so many 10, 20, 25 dollar donations added up to a big advantage. More, it gave him a huge database of people to contact and keep in the loop.

The gross percentage may be similar, but the mechanisms to get to that number was different.

I think you're reaching because the truth makes you uncomfortable. Note this form the article:

Meredith McGehee, a campaign-finance reform advocate at the non-partisan Campaign Legal Center, said Obama cannot claim "this election somehow created an alternative system for public finance. … The data doesn't show that."

Haven't done the math, but 40% versus 52% seems statistically different. And if you broke it down to "small donations" that are under a 100 bucks, I'd bet the difference would be even more pronounced.

I think you're reaching because the truth makes you uncomfortable. Note this form the article:

It doesn't jibe with everything else we've heard. Even Rove and the Governors conference talked about the internet effect. When one report is an outlier, you tend to question it.

I all seriousness....this is not meant to be inflammatory....but I am really dumbfounded to think that anyone believed this presidency would bring change or something different. It is what it is. Our current political system.

Just to counter. I am equally dumbfounded by how many have declared status quo and no change before the guy is even sworn in and before he has enacted a single policy.

Just to counter. I am equally dumbfounded by how many have declared status quo and no change before the guy is even sworn in and before he has enacted a single policy.
I'll third the dumbfoundedness back at you Burgold. If it wasn't for Hillary and perhaps Daschle, it wouldn't be an issue. I don't know how you can not see that.

I think most people don't have a problem with the rest (especially Clinton's economic folks).

It doesn't jibe with everything else we've heard. Even Rove and the Governors conference talked about the internet effect. When one report is an outlier, you tend to question it.

I think the point here is that this is the first real study; everything before this has been based on claims made by the Obama campaign, impressions of what was occurring and other circumstantial evidence.

BTW, Obama's superior online organization includes much more than merely fund raising, and that is the internet effect the Republicans are going to need to figure out.

I all seriousness....this is not meant to be inflammatory....but I am really dumbfounded to think that anyone believed this presidency would bring change or something different. It is what it is. Our current political system.

Our current political system has already changed and Obama didn't even take office yet.

I'll third the dumbfoundedness back at you Burgold. If it wasn't for Hillary and perhaps Daschle, it wouldn't be an issue. I don't know how you can not see that.

I think most people don't have a problem with the rest (especially Clinton's economic folks).

So, you're saying that people weren't yelling "he's not changing things enough" even before the election?

So, you're saying that people weren't yelling "he's not changing things enough" even before the election?

You were supposed to "fourth" the dumbfoundedness :doh:

As to Daschle and Hillary. Probably neither would have been my first choice, but from what I've read and heard (including from Republican sources) they are respected and considered area competent. So, I'm willing to reserve judgement as to whether they will change. I am willing to take a leap and say that they will be a change from the current administration. So, it all depends on what degree of change you were anticipating.

Sorry, but I'm failing to see the relevance of these numbers to the rhetoric they're supposed to refute.

The claim during the campaign was that Obama was getting a large number of donations in lower amounts in the 25-100 dollar range and they were primarily coming from sources that had never before donated to a political campaign. It was the fact that he was getting financial support, even in unusually small doses, from donors that were typically uninvolved in political contributions that indicated a shift in the paradigm of presidential politics.

It wasn't the total AMOUNT of money being raised that was newsworthy- it was the sources from which much of it (52%, in fact) was coming.

"91% of our contributions were in amounts of $100 or less" - Obama campaign spokesman Ben LaBolt.

THAT is what was fascinating. Not the figure of donors that gave less than $1,000, or the total amount brought in by donors giving the $2,000 maximum at the end of the day.

This study (and many of the responses in this thread) misses the point, and misses it badly.

That's just AP Style -- you spell out numerals over nine, when they start a sentence.

P.S. I'm an editor.

Brings me back to my college newspaper days. :D

I was the News Editor for my college newspaper...aren't they supposed to spell out "percent" and not use the % symbol?

Or has that changed in the AP stylebook?

Sorry, but I'm failing to see the relevance of these numbers to the rhetoric they're supposed to refute.

The claim during the campaign was that Obama was getting a large number of donations in lower amounts in the 25-100 dollar range and they were primarily coming from sources that had never before donated to a political campaign. It was the fact that he was getting financial support, even in unusually small doses, from donors that were typically uninvolved in political contributions that indicated a shift in the paradigm of presidential politics.

It wasn't the total AMOUNT of money being raised that was newsworthy- it was the sources from which much of it (52%, in fact) was coming.

"91% of our contributions were in amounts of $100 or less" - Obama campaign spokesman Ben LaBolt.

THAT is what was fascinating. Not the figure of donors that gave less than $1,000, or the total amount brought in by donors giving the $2,000 maximum at the end of the day.

This study (and many of the responses in this thread) misses the point, and misses it badly.

No, I think you're missing the point. Although 90+ percent might have come in increments under $100, that same person continued to give in additional >$100 increments. It's a false number that was engineered by the campaign in order to manufacture the impression that 90 percent of funds were raised from individuals who each gave >$100. The individuals gave >$100 AT A TIME, but gave about as much as they have historically and in roughly equal percentages.

Obama COULD have chosen to make a comparison between the fact that only 47 percent of his funding came from donors giving more than $1,000, while Bush and McCain both received 60 percent of their funds from donors giving more than $1,000. But his campaign chose to put out the disingenuous 90 percent figure. Now they've been called on it.

Why is this article basing it's findings on percentages? Those scale and hide the truth. How many total donors in each category did Obama get versus the rest. Remember he shattered records in fund raising, the percentage used here could hide very large differences in actual numbers of small donors.

Archived