Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

had some Lagunitas Brown Shugga Sucks tonight, I thoguht it was okay, as much as I thought I liked the Simcoe hop, it made me realize I didn't actually like it.

Not saying it's bad beer, enjoyed 3 of them lol, simcoe is so overpowering though...

Schlafly Tasmanian IPA is the bomb, try it.

There isn't a beer I enjoy more than St. Bernardus ABT 12, king of beers in my book.

Chilling next to the fire, listening to The Dead and savoring every last sip, if you have never had had this beer spend the money and check it out.

Gets better every time I try it.

Edited by GoSkins561

• 2 weeks later...

Drinking a 2010 bottle of Flying Dog Horn Dog Barleywine

Massive fruit/caramel complex. Grapes, prunes, raisins . Bitter pine is clear-cut as well. Finish is somewhat bland, alcohol comes through way down the line. I can take extremely small sips of this and it's satisfying. Like I'm drinking a bourbon.

flying-dog-horn-dog-barley-wine-1a.jpg

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I tried Sam Adams Alpine Spring the other night and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I am a massive fan of a bunch of German/Belgian wheat beers along with other varieties, so it was somewhat up my alley.

It's funny, I like to trips with my cousin down to Philly to go to one of the German bars down there, since they keep stuff I love on tap. Recently however I've been stuck in my local area which only carries local/American/microbrew stuff. I do however live down the road from a Sam Adams brewery. It's always cheap and on special around here, and I gotta say I've developed a love for Sam Adams as my fall-back beer that everyone carries on tap when I go out. Their märzen for oktoberfest was awesome, the winter lager was a little similar to their regular boston lager, I don't care much for their summer ale, but this recent beer takes the cake so to speak.

It's nice to have something decent that they carry everywhere...since I wouldn't be caught dead trying to choke down a disgusting miller/bud/insert beer here. Also, I live in PA, everyone loves Yuengling, and I just don't get what all the hoopla is about. IMO it's a little below average at best.

Tonight is a 6 pack of Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye. Good beer, very peppery up front, IPA citrus/caramel backs it up. Doesn't hold up to the Torpedo or Hoptimum by any means, but good in its own right.

]

Just picked this up as well. Only 1 beer into the 12 pack but I was VERY impressed by the complexity of the flavor. Instant favorite for me, I'd drink it over a Torpedo any day. Sierra Nevada continues to out-do themselves and prove they are second to none in regards to IPAs.

Edited by skinsfan_1215

Last time I was in San Francisco I headed down the coast to Half Moon Bay Brewing Company.

Had the most amazing beer and had to take some home with me as they only sell locally. It was the Maverick's Amber Ale and now I see that it's won the Bronze at World Beer Cup 2012.

If anyone figures out how to get this out to the East Coast for me I would be most grateful. :)

http://www.hmbbrewingco.com/brewery/our-beers-ales.html

Pretty good opportunity to get some different beers that might not be distributed in your area.

Liquorama.net is doing flat $10 shipping via FedEx on up to 12 bottles through Monday night. Their selection isn't great but I just noticed they have Russian River on there now. Consecration, Damnation and Supplication are available.

Their prices are in line with Total Wine so there doesn't seem to be any markup. No tax either so that helps offset the shipping.

http://www.liquorama.net/american/?sort=featured&page=5

Nugget Nectar hit the stores last week, stuff sells out quick.

It's a little over rated, but still a really good well balanced beer, I wish they would sell it year round.

a7e9d8c426e857f6bd51fce781d1db93.jpg

---------- Post added February-25th-2013 at 09:25 PM ----------

Immort Ale ....

Funky, smokey, and sweet, actually digging this, next time I cedar plank some salmon, this is what i'm washing it down with.

immort_ale.jpg

Sour Ales anyone?

I have tried two so far....

Monks Cafe Flemish Sour Ale, this is easily the funkiest ale I have ever tried. At first it kicks you in your teeth and you wonder what in the hell you are drinking, thought it was horrible the first time I tried it. A few months later I thought, who in the heck would drink this crap, maybe I got a bad bottle, the flavor kind of grew on me, tried a 3rd bottle a few months later and really liked it even though it gave me really bad gas.

It's been about a year, today I was driving down the road and actually craved one lol, I think I might actually like these things.

But I did get this. The other "Sour" I tried was Lips of Faith CLUTCH which is no where near as crazy as Monks Cafe Flemish Sour.

Today I picked up this bad boy, I can't wait to try later after my sons soccer match.

LaFolie.jpg

Edited by GoSkins561

Nugget Nectar hit the stores last week, stuff sells out quick.

It's a little over rated, but still a really good well balanced beer, I wish they would sell it year round.

Immort Ale ....

Funky, smokey, and sweet, actually digging this, next time I cedar plank some salmon, this is what i'm washing it down with.

Agreed, Nugget Nectar is a little overrated, and in turn - overpriced. There are a few Troegs beers I'd rather have. And the Immort Ale, very good.

Been limiting myself to one, maybe two, drinking nights per week. Made a couple video reviews lately on aged beer vs. their fresh counterparts. Will put 'em up one day soon. Heavy Seas Small Craft Warning and Unibroue Trois Pistoles. Both were friggin FANTASTIC after aging. Woo!

The Sam Adams Cream Stout and Flying Dog Horn Dog were the opposite. Both got a little worse.

If you're looking for a change of pace, check out a Sour Ale. La Folie is a cross between a flemish ale and a brown, best of both worlds.

CLUTCH by Lips of Faith is very good also.(Edit)

La Folie was awesome, I think I might be hooked on the Sour Ale, there are not many options available, Flemish Ale by Monks Cafe might be my favorite so far.

Edited by GoSkins561

Anyone ever try Boulevard's Tank 7 Farmhouse ale?

If you're into citrus-y ales, this is easily in the Top 3 I have ever had in my life.

It was recommended to me because I am a big fan of deschute's white IPA called chainbreaker.

---------- Post added March-2nd-2013 at 09:32 AM ----------

Anyone tried Kilkenny? It's the #2 stout of or Ireland behind Guiness.

I have only seen it on tap at a few places but have never seen it on sale in bottles in the stores in CA.

It is fantastic.

---------- Post added March-2nd-2013 at 09:35 AM ----------

So tell me about the Flying Dog series. I remember a few months back I saw Flying dog for the first time at our local Alcohol outlet store and then suddenly there was 5 or 6 different choices from Flying Dog.

Are they a can't miss selection, are some way better than others? I've been intrigued and curious to try.

[/color]So tell me about the Flying Dog series. I remember a few months back I saw Flying dog for the first time at our local Alcohol outlet store and then suddenly there was 5 or 6 different choices from Flying Dog.

Are they a can't miss selection, are some way better than others? I've been intrigued and curious to try.

I like a couple of Flying Dogs brews, Raging ***** is pretty good, their Double Dog IPA and Gonzo Imperial Porter are really good, and their Oak Aged Gonzo Imperial Porter is by far the best Porter I have tried to date.

Overall they are a pretty good brewery.

There's a lot of Saranac up these ways, obviously. I love their Red IPA and Big Moose Ale. Also, Custom Brewcraft's Caged Alpha Monkey IPA is great.

Went to Wegmans and got a 6-pack of beers I'd like to try. Honestly, their selection wasn't that great, but we don't have any Total Wine-type stores up here. Wegmans has about 200 different beers in their selection but their 'build a 6pack" is pretty weak. Anyway, I'll report back on those at some point

---------- Post added March-2nd-2013 at 10:26 AM ----------

You can't go wrong with Sierra Nevada. My favorite beer this winter was their Celebration Ale. I will never go wrong with that, Torpedo or Ruthless Rye. Also, agree on Flying Dog. Raging ***** and Snake Dog are awesome.

Just a simple 12 pack of Yuengling Black & Tan for the weekend. Favorite beer to drink out of bottles.

So tell me about the Flying Dog series. I remember a few months back I saw Flying dog for the first time at our local Alcohol outlet store and then suddenly there was 5 or 6 different choices from Flying Dog.

Flying Dog Double Dog DPA is one of my favorite beers. Otherwise, they are hit & miss. GoSkins561 recommended the best ones. The Raging ***** is quite unique,.big-time Belgian IPA. The Imperial Porter is very roasty, like charcoal.

You can't go wrong with Sierra Nevada. My favorite beer this winter was their Celebration Ale. I will never go wrong with that, Torpedo or Ruthless Rye. Also, agree on Flying Dog. Raging ***** and Snake Dog are awesome.

I think the Sierra Nevada Hoptimum is right there with the Southern Tier UnEarthly as the best IPA I've been introduced to in the past couple years. Great brewery for hoppy beer.