Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Monks Cafe, man talk about funky, I love that stuff.

I've tried hundreds of beers at this point, I ant say I have ever tried Ommegang, I see their bottles all of the time, the $20.00 + price tag turns me away.

---------- Post added April-7th-2013 at 05:46 PM ----------

Also, Ballast Point charges 7.50 for a 12 oz draft of Sculpin,

Bombers are only 9.99 in Maryland.

---------- Post added April-7th-2013 at 05:51 PM ----------

---------- Post added April-7th-2013 at 05:51 PM ----------

Monks Cafe, man talk about funky, I love that stuff.

I've tried hundreds of beers at this point, I ant say I have ever tried Ommegang, I see their bottles all of the time, the $20.00 + price tag turns me away

Love Monk's I'll be there on Saturday, though Im not a huge fan of Belgian style beers, I do love the mussles and pom frittes with a couple of nice Belgian Ales I've never heard of at Monk's.

LOL!

Welcome to my world....craft beer and bourbon.

I don't know anything about brandy, (because I hate it), but I do know a few things about bourbon. I love bourbon, as does my wife. At any one time, we have at least 6-10 bottles. It is a much more expensive past time than craft beer.

If you must "chase" bourbon, then at least you're doing the right thing by drinking a light lager. If you're going to drink a beer while enjoying a good bourbon, I suggest, (with all due respect), that you avoid any of those enamel stripping, high hopped brews that we love so much.

Based on personal experience, those hoppy IPA's do a number on your taste buds, which doesn't allow you to enjoy much of the flavor profile of the bourbon. Honestly, I typically only drink water when enjoying bourbon. If I do drink a beer, it's definitely a lager.

A buddy of mine, who is also an ES member, (HOF44), is a bourbon enthusiast. He's forgotten more than I'll ever know about top-shelf bourbon. I'm sure that if you shot him a PM, he'd be more than happy to share some of his knowledge.

Hey thanks for the info! I love bourbon, and brandy isn't too different, IMO. Maltier mouthfeel, but still get that barrel aged flavor that I just love. I don't use a chaser with top shelf bourbon or brandy, but when I'm drinking middle shelf liquor, I get me a bomber to chase it with :)

Tonight it's a 24 oz Sierra Nevada Pale Ale with some E&J Brandy. I like your advice to use lighter beers to chase with.

3 year old Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous (Black IPA) did the opposite of what my aged IPAs did, it lost its MALT - completely. The hops on the other hand got 3x more bitter. Tart mf'in hops, and that's about all. Not very good. The fresh one was very well balanced, strong hop and malt dynamics. I will say that I've never had a beer from Stone that blew me away. Above-average stuff, Imperial Ruskie is good, hated the Levitation Ale, good IPAs.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

the sierra nevada hoptimum is beyond yummy. excellent beer. picked up some henry weinhards IPA at the same time. probably should have not done so. as they are at opposite ends of the spectrum of IPA's. but, you get what you pay for.

This is probably close to the best beer I've ever had. Wether you love bourbon or not you'll love this. It comes corked in 750ml bottles, is limited in production and a little hard to find. They do 400 to 500 cases yearly.

allagash-curieux.jpg

Edited by HOF44

the sierra nevada hoptimum is beyond yummy. excellent beer. picked up some henry weinhards IPA at the same time. probably should have not done so. as they are at opposite ends of the spectrum of IPA's. but, you get what you pay for.

Hoptimum 2013? I thought they just bottled it this week??

Can't wait to get my hands on some fresh Hoptimum , Yummy.

This is probably close to the best beer I've ever had. Wether you love bourbon or not you'll love this. It comes corked in 750ml bottles, is limited in production and a little hard to find. They do 400 to 500 cases yearly.

http://refugesc.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/allagash-curieux.jpg

Just once, I'd like to see you take a shot of Kentucky Gentleman and wash it down with a Schlitz. Just once.

;)

Hoptimum 2013? I thought they just bottled it this week??

Can't wait to get my hands on some fresh Hoptimum , Yummy.

yep. got it at the germantown beer store by pelican petes. not a great selection there usuallly, but not bad either.

$10 for a four pack, but at 10+% abv, i drink them slow. :)

excellent beer though. maybe my new #1.

I picked up a 6 pack of this at whole foods a week or so ago. 9.6 ABV (the bottle in the pic is not the one i was drinking) and it was like 9.99 for a six pack. What a deal. Lagunitas has a recency effect with me. The most recent beer I'm drinking from them always seems to be my favorite. I love this beer. But I also love Sumpin Sumpin, Sucks, and Maximus

CIMG0436.jpg

Edited by Skinz4Life12

I picked up a 6 pack of this at whole foods a week or so ago. 9.6 ABV (the bottle in the pic is not the one i was drinking) and it was like 9.99 for a six pack. What a deal. Lagunitas has a recency effect with me. The most recent beer I'm drinking from them always seems to be my favorite. I love this beer. But I also love Sumpin Sumpin, Sucks, and Maximus

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff212/brewedforthought/Beers/CIMG0436.jpg

Lagunitas and Sierra Nevada have shockingly good prices. I hope they don't become aware of that and start hiking prices, because I'd still buy their beers. :paranoid:

Grego and I have the same favorite beer, the Sierra Nevada Hoptimum. I think someone else in this thread ranked it their favorite too. To me, the Torpedo isn't too far behind, and it's cheaper than Sam Adams.

I had the Sam Adams Hop Tour mixed pack, I think the beers are easy as heck to rank, clear as day:

1) Noble Pils. Such a refreshing tone of hops, wanna keep sipping it.

2) Whitewater IPA. Hops are lively citrus, a surprisingly good hop beer from Sam's.

3) Latitude 48 IPA. Very average, in fact I've called this the most typical IPA.

Got back recently from a business trip to New Orleans. Always try to sample the local brews of places I've never been to before. I had Abita's Amber, Purple Haze, Restoration Pale Ale, and Turbo Dog. My favorites were the Amber - a quality, every-day type beer and the Turbo Dog - a solid dark brown ale. None of them blew my mind, and Purple Haze was a bit too sweet for my taste, but overall Abita has a good line of brews. Always fun trying crafts that are new to me!

Finally arrived in my area. Just picked it up this morning at Total while the guy from Brown Distributing was unpacking it. Can't wait to try it. Bottled on April 12th.

[/url]

The Enjoy by 4/1/13 was excellent, unfortunately from what I understand, the 5/17/2013 isn't being sold in Maryland, their Escondonion Anniversary Black IPA is one of my favorites.

The Enjoy by 4/1/13 was excellent, unfortunately from what I understand, the 5/17/2013 isn't being sold in Maryland, their Escondonion Anniversary Black IPA is one of my favorites.

You may still be in luck. According to Stone's site...Maryland will be getting 05/17/13...doesn't say when though. Keep in mind it still lists Florida as "Shipping" even though I got mine today and North Florida had it a few days earlier.

http://www.stonebrewing.com/enjoyby/

Maryland

04/18/13

Shipping

#EnjoyBy #MD

(that Pasted terribly. Just click on the link)