Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

I just got word that my favorite brewpub was destroyed in the Irene flooding.

http://articles.boston.com/2011-08-29/lifestyle/29941979_1_beer-waterbury-hurricane-irene

Luckily the cannery they've been building made it out ok, so my dream of one day enjoying a Heady-Topper on my own porch is still alive, but it will be quite a while before I can have my all-time favorite beer again, the "Ouroboros".

Today I grabbed some Sam Adams Imperial Stout

imperial_stout.jpg

90% black, 10% brown. Aroma is dark fruits, chocolate, roast and a tiny bit of coffee. Right off the bat I have to say the flavor has a big alcohol presence, even for a 9.5% beer, especially when you exhale through your nose. It pierces through the dank chocolate malt. A very solid smoked backbone, I really enjoy the roasty/smoke aspect of the beer the most. Dark fruits and a little bit of coffee round out the flavors. This beer is easily enjoyable for stout lovers.

A (92)

Sam Adams Imperial Series beers are 3 for 3 with me. Still gotta try the Imperial White and Imperial Pilsner.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

• 2 weeks later...

Had Heavy Seas "Red Sky at Night" Belgian Saison last week.

red-sky-at-night-label.jpg

Biscuity, fruity, hoppy, peppery. Thick body - which is a reoccurring description of most Heavy Seas beers. This one was a pleasure to drink, gave it a medium-high B grade.

Tonight I went IPA hunting, and picked up the Ranger IPA from 'New Belgium' brewery. Haven't had anything from them yet, so here 'goes:

new-belgium_s-ranger-ipa1.jpg

Penny color, very large soapy head, a hell of a lot of lacing. The head is finally settling after 5 minutes, but it's still a half inch thick, with a chunk of bubbles sprouting up in the middle. Looks like a mountain. Aroma is juicy grapefruit and biscuity. The flavor is immediately tart, with a small juicy sweetness backing it up. It sustains a high bitterness from start to finish, and the finish is very, very long. Wow. Time-released hop bitterness; it reaches full strength about 10 seconds after the sip. Bready/biscuity malt stays relatively under the radar until you really try to find it.

I seriously like this IPA, rolled the dice and got snake eyes. Beautiful stuff.

A (96)

d0uble, you ever tried anything from Troegs brewery in PA?

Their Nugget Nectar is one of my favorite beers altogether. The Troegenator Doublebock is killer as well...but that's all I've had from them. It's rare that I find single bottles of Troegs beer for sale. Troegs 6-packs cost $15 to $20 around here, and it's rare that I'll spend that much on one type of beer.

Very excited to have picked up the Dogfish Head/Sierra Nevada collaboration brew called "Life & Limb" today. Thinking about stashing this one away for a while.

Here is the list of everything in my cellar, I'll put the grade I gave them next to it (remember it's only my opinion - I enjoy strength and diversity of flavors, along with hearty bodies):

Dogfish Head 90 Minute (95)

Dogfish Head Midas Touch (92...96 when bottle aged for 2 years)

Dogfish Head/Sierra Nevada Life & Limb (Haven't had it yet)

Samuel Adams Imperial Stout (92)

Samuel Adams Wee Heavy (87)

Samuel Adams Boston Lager (84)

Samuel Adams Cream Stout (89)

Guinness Foreign Extra Stout (90)

Guinness Extra Stout (84)

Guinness Draught (77)

Flying Dog Double Dog (93)

Flying Dog Raging ***** (88)

Flying Dog Horn Dog (89)

Flying Dog In-Heat (76)

Heavy Seas Loose Cannon (94)

Heavy Seas Peg Leg (82)

Heavy Seas Small Craft Warning (93)

Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous (92)

Unibroue Trois Pistoles (94)

Anchor Porter (90)

Budweiser American Ale (77)

Lagunitas Imperial Stout (Haven't had it yet)

The heavy/malty beers I don't plan on drinking for years, I want it to get to the point where I rarely drink them fresh. I'll keep shopping for them, but as I put a new one in to the cellar, I'll pull out a beer that's a few years old to enjoy. :ols: Gotta love it.

I'll note for the people who didn't catch my review on 2 year old Midas Touch a few months ago...I compared it to a freshly made Midas Touch and the differences were utterly dramatic. That's why the grades between the two were so different. It's turned me in to a madman towards bottle aging.

1.1275242048.my-good-friend-the-red-horse.jpg

Frozen Heineken or Red Horse (Extra Strong) :ols::silly::drooley::drooley::drooley::drooley::drooley::drooley::drooley::drooley:

Wait. You're from Oxon Hill and drink Red Horse? You couldn't be more Filipino if you tried.

---------- Post added September-15th-2011 at 08:54 AM ----------

Big fan of Leinenkugel's. I just got their sampler and all the beers rock. Red Lager, Bock 1888, Weiss,

Wait. You're from Oxon Hill and drink Red Horse? You couldn't be more Filipino if you tried.

---------- Post added September-15th-2011 at 08:54 AM ----------

Big fan of Leinenkugel's. I just got their sampler and all the beers rock. Red Lager, Bock 1888, Weiss,

LOL GOOD one bro. Thanks for the compliment. haha:cheers::cheers::cheers:

---------- Post added September-15th-2011 at 05:07 PM ----------

Gotta love Killian's as well. Ironic that a horse are both of the beer's mascot.

Ok beer snobs.

:ols:

Seeing how its about 99.9% likely that I am officially going to be diagnosed with Celiac's disease next week (went gluten free for about 2 weeks and all my symptoms went away) - does anyone know of a good beer that's gluten free (which means no wheat or barley)?

I have tried one so far - Bard's Tale beer (made from sorgham malt) and it was drinkable. Perhaps my palette isn't as refined as some of y'all - but I was just wondering if anyone was educated enough to steer me into a go to beer (that doesn't make me sick).

Has anyone tried Anheuser-Busch's Redbrridge beer?

Edited by The Evil Genius

It's good! Better than the Sam Adams Octoberfest, IMO. Toasty/nutty malt is stronger, some hops on the finish, nicely bitter and dry. It was actually pretty damn scrumptious, to tell you the truth.

can you get it in the grocery store? or do you have to get it in a specialty store?

also, is it sold in six packs or do you have to buy it in one of those variety packs?

can you get it in the grocery store? or do you have to get it in a specialty store?

also, is it sold in six packs or do you have to buy it in one of those variety packs?

DOgtoberfest.jpg

Got mine in a six pack, don't think you'd see it in a variety pack since it's part of their seasonal series. As far as whether or not stores carry it, it's up to whoever orders the beer for each particular place. The Russian dude who owns the little deli down my street rotates seasonals for Flying Dog, Sierra Nevada, Sam Adams and Leinenkugels. Although he does make sure to get the Dogfish Head Chicory in the winter time. :)

Drinking Blue Point Blueberry Ale right now, it is delicious. I had the Blue Moon Pumpkin and it was horrible, I couldn't even taste any Pumpkin spice to it, but the Blue Point Blueberry Ale is AMAZING. So much blueberry flavor to it, although overpowering, it's just as advertised.

---------- Post added September-16th-2011 at 05:52 AM ----------

Ok beer snobs.

:ols:

Seeing how its about 99.9% likely that I am officially going to be diagnosed with Celiac's disease next week (went gluten free for about 2 weeks and all my symptoms went away) - does anyone know of a good beer that's gluten free (which means no wheat or barley)?

I have tried one so far - Bard's Tale beer (made from sorgham malt) and it was drinkable. Perhaps my palette isn't as refined as some of y'all - but I was just wondering if anyone was educated enough to steer me into a go to beer (that doesn't make me sick).

Has anyone tried Anheuser-Busch's Redbrridge beer?

Yes I also need recommendations on this, because my future wife is also allergic to gluten.

Picked up a 22oz of St. Bernardus abt 12, this one is a winner. There isn't a whole lot of nose but this one is very spicy mostly clove and also very fruity w lots of raison and mildly sweet, everything is perfectly balanced. I love my hops, St. Bernardus is pretty much void of hops,all malts.

5 thumbs up out of 5 thumbs up.

Time for Heavy Seas' Marzen (Octoberfest style) beer. This one isn't seasonal, it's on the shelves all year long.

marzen.jpg

Aroma is grains, toast and caramel. Flavor is toast, nuts, wheat, a touch of caramel, a touch of hops, and biscuity on the finish. Nice session beer, I'm diggin' it.

I've been drinking Octoberfest style beers in friggen' September, but generally the closer it gets to Halloween, the heavier I want my Autumn beers to be. I'm starting off with a 6% alcohol Blond Ale, the New Belgium Hoptober:

303a.jpg

A crystal clear pale orange, a ton of citrus on the nose. Also smelling a strong and balanced wheat/pale malt mixture. This one's aroma is lively. Flavor is a blast of strongly bitter citrus hops and a crapload of pale malt. Wheat really comes out on the finish. It says that they put oats and rye in here, and you can really pick those two flavors out decisively. Body is light and soft; and it's a little hard to judge through all the bitterness going on. A very long finish to this one. All in all, this is a great choice for those who like bitter beers.

I'll give it a 93 out of 100.

UFO Hefeweizen & Redhook Long Hammer IPA for the game today :D

UFO+Hefeweizen.JPG

I

Redhook_Long_Hammer_IPA_200.jpg

bought Long Hammer a few months back just cause of the name... Not a huge IPA fan but Long Hammer turned out to be pretty good, not something I would buy again but if it was offered to me I would not turn it down.

Edited by Hdf561