Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Stocked up a little variety today, the Victory 12 pack sampler(best sampler out there), 6 Steel Head Extra Stouts (I'm really excited about this brew) and a 6er of Sam Adams Latitude 48. I cracked a SA IPA a couple of minutes ago, I must say, it's pretty damn good, by far the best beer they make.

So far Sam Adams Winter Lager is still my favorite lager, period. I picked up 24 before the second blizzard last winter. Wasn't enough. Gone by the second night. Great session beer.

I went to pick up a case before they quit brewing it for the season....I missed it by 2 days....:( It is the smoothest medium bodied lager that I've ever had, instant favorite in my book. I will not be making the same mistake this year.

Stocked up a little variety today, the Victory 12 pack sampler(best sampler out there), 6 Steel Head Extra Stouts (I'm really excited about this brew) and a 6er of Sam Adams Latitude 48. I cracked a SA IPA a couple of minutes ago, I must say, it's pretty damn good, by far the best beer they make.

Latitude 48 is really good

I picked up Sam Adams Oktoberfest for the Texans tailgate, but because it was such a warm day, and because all Sam Adams products wrere on sale, I also picked up a 12-pack of

samuel-adams-pale-ale.jpg

I was a bit disappointed. Too citrusy and grassy. Not much of a hops kick. I expected better from Samuel Adams. It was only okay.

The Oktoberfest was outstanding as usual, though. I thought it tasted different than previous versions. I don't know if they changed the recipe from past seasons, but it was good nonetheless.

Edited by Dan T.

Lancaster Hop Hog India Pale Ale Tonight.

This is an IPA that you could easily mistake for another style of beer. Mahogany color with a puffy tan head, smells and tastes like a double bock mixed with oktoberfest-style beer. Aroma and taste are both real nice, but again, are not very IPA-like. A lot of cinnamon and ginger and a strong caramel malt that has a moderate hop backing. Still looks and smells great ...a fairly hearty body on this thing.

This beer is perhaps the best fall beer I've had so far this season. It doesn't rely on the spices, they're just part of the equation. This stuff is real good.

B+ (88)

I was very disappointed in this beer. I expected something totally different. Hops maybe?

Interesting, I like the Lancaster Milk Stout a lot. The Hop Hog is one my least favorites that I have tried, you open it expecting an IPA and you get a bad nut brown ale. I had a very hard time finishing the 6 pack. I remember someone in this thead with a similar opinion saying they used it as beer batter.

BTW, supposedly this is a top seller at the beer store I prefer to visit.

I share that opinion and the "beer batter" thing sounds like something I would do with a beer that I don't care for.

Maybe it's the variety of hops, or I had an old six-pack, or I may just have an unsophisticated palate. The hops were underwhelming. They should've named this stuff "Malt Hog"

Agreed, I just don't "get" the Octoberfest, it's got a spice to it that just doesn't fit on my tongue. Winter is where it's at.

Well you've got it bass-ackwards. Their Octoberfest has no spices, just a blend of four different malts and Bavarian hops. On the other hand the winter lager contains orange zest, cinnamon, and fresh ginger. Which is fine if you like other stuff in your beer.

Heavy Seas update:

Just bottled the first go-round of Winter Storm yesterday. Mmmm mmmm....

We will be bottling both Yule Tide and Below Decks this month, so look for them mid-November.

Baltimore beer week is coming up, LOTS of great events all around the city.

Edited by rincewind

Heavy Seas update:

We will be bottling both Yule Tide and Below Decks this month, so look for them mid-November.

When does it start?

Well you've got it bass-ackwards. Their Octoberfest has no spices, just a blend of four different malts and Bavarian hops. On the other hand the winter lager contains orange zest, cinnamon, and fresh ginger. Which is fine if you like other stuff in your beer.

I'm just telling you what I taste, there is just something not right in the Octoberfest, maybe it is the Bavarian hops, but whatever it is it doesn't sit right. The winter on the other hand fits like a glove.

As anyone had the Sam Adams Pumpkin Harvest? I think I like it better than Octoberfest and I didn't think that was possible.

No No don't go with that try one of these

Weyerbacher Imperial pumpkin ale

Hoppin Frogs Frogs hallow double pumpkin ale

Shipyard -Smashed Pumpkin ale

And the king of pumpkin beers(my opinion) Southern Tier -Pumking

now these tend to be more on the sweeter side kinda like a liquied pumpkin pie especially Pumking and Weyerbacher but a few and find what you'll like

I had Sam Adams Pumpkin and it was ok nothing great There Oktoberfest is ok too But the Winter lager is where it's at.

Edited by FLRedskins

I was very disappointed in this beer. I expected something totally different. Hops maybe?

I share that opinion and the "beer batter" thing sounds like something I would do with a beer that I don't care for.

Maybe it's the variety of hops, or I had an old six-pack, or I may just have an unsophisticated palate. The hops were underwhelming. They should've named this stuff "Malt Hog"

My first thought was that this beer does not taste like an IPA, but the bottom line is that i simply enjoy the taste. It was conflicting trying to base my judgment on how good of an IPA the beer is, or just how good of a beer the beer is. I like brown ales, double bocks, malty brews...I enjoyed it.

Heavy Seas update:

Looking forward to all of 'em! I have a couple 4-packs of Below Decks left. One 2007 & one 2009. I finished my last '06 a few months ago. Ask around the brewery...the '06 was the stuff of legends...

My first thought was that this beer does not taste like an IPA, but the bottom line is that i simply enjoy the taste. It was conflicting trying to base my judgment on how good of an IPA the beer is, or just how good of a beer the beer is. I like brown ales, double bocks, malty brews...I enjoyed it.

And that's what's important. As long as you like it. I piggy-backed this on Rincewind's post, because if you like malty brews, you will absolutely love the Heavy Seas Below Decks. Check with your beer store, and see if they have any of the '09 on hand. The stuff ages like a dream. I'm not big on the malty brews, but this is a barleywine style that just blows me away. It's indescribably delicious.

With all due apologies to Rince, ....I picked up a keg of Victory Hop Devil yesterday, stuck it in the kegerator to get acclimated, and will be tapping that bad-boy today after playing some golf.

:point2sky

If any of you hop-heads haven't tried it yet, get your hands on a six-pack and give it a try.