Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

who would you rather have, Leigh Torrence or Deangelo Hall

chow184

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

The only problem is, if this story has any truth to it Hall's "character issues" aren't "early" ones, they're "ongoing" ones...

thank you!!

but hey, since he can make plays we should take a risk and cut a kid that has a great upside himself and let this guy who has been on now 3 teams since being in the NFL take his spot.

Here's a question: let's say Torrence is picked up by some other team during the week...and then 3 weeks from now Hall's play on the field is no better than Torrence's had been, plus his "character issues" start to rise to the surface again and the team decided "enough" and cuts him.

Unless there's some other cornerback out there, that means Tryon gets promoted to #4.

Maybe that should have been the question: who would you rather have sitting at #5 corner in case Hall fails here: Torrence or Tryon lol...

The only problem is, if this story has any truth to it Hall's "character issues" aren't "early" ones, they're "ongoing" ones...

As i said above, if he's so bad a locker room influence, why do all his ex-team mates STILL speak so highly of him?

And why were coach' of the claibre of Belichick and the Steeler's great D mind LeBeau, not to mention Tomlin who's "old school", so willing to work with him?

Hail.

As i said above, if he's so bad a locker room influence, why do all his ex-team mates STILL speak so highly of him?

Well, at least one of them clearly isn't, obviously lol....

And why were coach' of the claibre of Belichick and the Steeler's great D mind LeBeau, not to mention Tomlin who's "old school", so willing to work with him?

Hail.

Ok, this is a different argument. I don't think too many people are saying taking a chance on Hall was a mistake, especially considering the small cap hit and salary he's getting. Other coaches with playoff-caliber teams and strong character players on their rosters, and who didn't need Hall to be either the #1 or #2 corner, saw the same "pros" as the Skins did. That's not exactly saying much.

The question, though, is whether or not Hall did have character issues, and if so, if they're still occurring. And as I said, if the story is true, then we know the answer to at least one of those questions.

The other question is whether the Redskins unnecessarily raised the risk of signing Hall by releasing Torrence. Like I said before, as of right now if Hall doesn't work and, God forbid, even ends up getting cut before the seaon is over, then Tryon becomes our #4 cb. I'd like to think there would be a way of keeping Torrence and releasong someone else, because Tryon instills even less confidence than Torrence does, and Hall hasn't even practiced yet. What if the coaches see Hall doing worse in practice than Torrence ever did in a game, simply because he needs more time to catch up to speed?

Easily DHall over Torrence...I liked Torrence though and think he was a solid #3/4 CB for us...In Hall we have picked up a guy that has been a #1 in this league, has unquestioned athletic ability, and is a proven play-maker...

I actually thought that we should have moved Tryon to the practice squad, nobody was going to pick this dude up we wouldn't have lost him and we would have been able to keep Torrence on the active roster...

Now Tryon has to step up and prove he is better than Torrence b/c DHall obviously is...

even better!!

what we SHOULD have done is put Kelly's lame ass on IR.

I think they're waiting until the end of next week to make that decision. Its entirely possible that if Kelly does get to IR, Torrence is back. He's more likely to clear waivers than a draft pick no matter what people think of them. Either way, we dont see these guys every day, the coaches do. Considering we're winning more than losing I'll put it to them to make the right choice. :cool:

Ok, this is a different argument. I don't think too many people are saying taking a chance on Hall was a mistake, especially considering the small cap hit and salary he's getting. Other coaches with playoff-caliber teams and strong character players on their rosters, and who didn't need Hall to be either the #1 or #2 corner, saw the same "pros" as the Skins did. That's not exactly saying much.

The question, though, is whether or not Hall did have character issues, and if so, if they're still occurring. And as I said, if the story is true, then we know the answer to at least one of those questions.

The other question is whether the Redskins unnecessarily raised the risk of signing Hall by releasing Torrence. Like I said before, as of right now if Hall doesn't work and, God forbid, even ends up getting cut before the seaon is over, then Tryon becomes our #4 cb. I'd like to think there would be a way of keeping Torrence and releasong someone else, because Tryon instills even less confidence than Torrence does, and Hall hasn't even practiced yet. What if the coaches see Hall doing worse in practice than Torrence ever did in a game, simply because he needs more time to catch up to speed?

I'd say it was all intertwined as to taking a player that has outstanding physical attributes at the expense of upsetting your locker room with what may be perceived "character issues", however cheap or talented that player may be. The loss at losing a locker room is as great a risk as the upside of getting a productive player. Given that, and the Coaches involved, i'd sway toward maybe's Hall's character not being as big a deal as the press would have you believe, but who knows.

As for Torrence over Tryon, I agree with you whole heartedly, at least for the immediate future. Hopefully Tryon will assimilate better as he adjusts to life as a pro. But that's a separate issue as to what the OP asked.

Will Hall work out? Time will tell, obviously, he's not even had one practice yet. That's the risk you take with any new player.

But on the face of it, all things being equal, he looks a big upgrade on what we had.

Hail.

Torrence sucks, and if DeAngelo Hall sucks, then he'll be released with no salary cap ramifications. The question should be Torrence or Tryon. This move just stinks of protecting the draft class.

I have to admit, I think this view has some validity...Normally you'd cut the lowest ranked cb on the roster, which would have been Tryon. Because if the coaches saw Tryon performing and practicing better than Torrence, they would have bumped him up. So you gotta assume right now that Tryon isn't as good as Torrence. So by cutting Torrence instead of Tryon, it either means that 1) they see the very real potential coming to fruition week by week, and believe he'll be at Torrence's level (if not higher) very soon...or 2) they aren't going to give up on a draft pick, regardless of how he looks right now.

That said, if they could have moved Tryon to the practice squad, they wouldn't have needed to cut Torrence to "protect" the draft class.

I have to admit, I think this view has some validity...Normally you'd cut the lowest ranked cb on the roster, which would have been Tryon. Because if the coaches saw Tryon performing and practicing better than Torrence, they would have bumped him up. So you gotta assume right now that Tryon isn't as good as Torrence. So by cutting Torrence instead of Tryon, it either means that 1) they see the very real potential coming to fruition week by week, and believe he'll be at Torrence's level (if not higher) very soon...or 2) they aren't going to give up on a draft pick, regardless of how he looks right now.

Even though I don't really like the move, the #5 CB controversy is just not that big of a deal to worry about, and it isn't Hall vs Torrence like the thread says. I just hope this kind of stuff just doesn't seep into more important decisions anytime soon.

I'd say it was all intertwined as to taking a player that has outstanding physical attributes at the expense of upsetting your locker room with what may be perceived "character issues", however cheap or talented that player may be. The loss at losing a locker room is as great a risk as the upside of getting a productive player. Given that, and the Coaches involved, i'd sway toward maybe's Hall's character not being as big a deal as the press would have you believe, but who knows.

Oh, trust me, the press will take any and all isolated instances of Hall's "character issues" and move then to page one now lol...there are editors right now who are literally telling their reporters to "go find me some DeAngelo Hall bad-character stories". I mean, as much as I hate T.O. I can easily admit that I see the press doing that with him constantly...of course, Owens made his own bed, so he's reaping what he's sewn.

As for Torrence over Tryon, I agree with you whole heartedly, at least for the immediate future. Hopefully Tryon will assimilate better as he adjusts to life as a pro. But that's a separate issue as to what the OP asked.

Will Hall work out? Time will tell, obviously, he's not even had one practice yet. That's the risk you take with any new player.

But on the face of it, all things being equal, he looks a big upgrade on what we had.

Hail.

On the face of it, definitely. I just prefer when Vinny takes measures to minimize the risks of signing a FA as much as possible. Releasing Torrence before Hall has even practiced seems like an unnecessary risk imo.

Even though I don't really like the move, the #5 CB controversy is just not that big of a deal to worry about, and it isn't Hall vs Torrence like the thread says. I just hope this kind of stuff just doesn't seep into more important decisions anytime soon.

Well, the #5 corner "controversy" (lol) is directly related to making Hall the #4 corner...many of us said we liked the idea of making Hall the #5 behind Torrence, and making him earn a spot over him. Now, the Skins have not only handed him Torrence's #4 spot, they've cut Torrence altogether. The same risk of Hall not panning out is there, so now the #5 corner suddenly holds more importance, especially with Springs being so injury-prone this season. If Hall flames out and is cut and Springs gets injured...Tryon as the #3. Yikes.

what does it matter who WE want ? it's over ... Hall is on the team, Torrence isnt ... not like we get to dictate to the team

the coaches think hall is better, so i am going to back them on this one ....

i may not like every choice they make, however i belive they know more about a players ability than i do ....

to answer your poll ... i am willing to gamble/hope on Hall being better than Torrence for what our team needs

I think they're waiting until the end of next week to make that decision. Its entirely possible that if Kelly does get to IR, Torrence is back. He's more likely to clear waivers than a draft pick no matter what people think of them. Either way, we dont see these guys every day, the coaches do. Considering we're winning more than losing I'll put it to them to make the right choice. :cool:

I think people should read this post. It'll make you feel better.;)

That said, if they could have moved Tryon to the practice squad, they wouldn't have needed to cut Torrence to "protect" the draft class.

Well, it is obvious that they think a lot of Tryon from the fact that they spent a 4th round pick and that they felt he was worth carrying around on the roster.

To be honest, Torrence didn't look that great when he got here either, but he improved over time. So will Tryon.

On the face of it, definitely. I just prefer when Vinny takes measures to minimize the risks of signing a FA as much as possible. Releasing Torrence before Hall has even practiced seems like an unnecessary risk imo.

I don't think the risk is quite as high as you think. Remember, Richardson, who showed some things in preseason, is on the practice squad. They probably have a good comfort level with the guys who they have both on the practice squad and on the roster.

Also, there is a possibility that Torrence's absence may be limited. Once Betts gets healthy, I doubt that the Skins will keep Alexander all that much longer. Course, it will depend on the needs at the time and the availability of Torrence.

Jason

Archived