Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Predict Obama's Presidential Cabinet

StillUnknown

I don't agree at all with CC.

However, you're going to get real pissed at me but I don't consider it to be super classy to call the next First Lady "ugly as sin" and joke about putting her in dogfights.

:2cents:

touche, but it was a joke and I stated it was one. And if you honestly believed that I meant to put her in a dog fight then I apologize.

touche, but it was a joke and I stated it was one. And if you honestly believed that I meant to put her in a dog fight then I apologize.

I said I knew it was a joke, I'm just saying I would have been absolutely crushed on this forum if I made the same jokes about Laura Bush and I still try to hold these people in high regard.

For what it's worth, I would have defended Cindy McCain if the election had gone opposite and someone cracked similar jokes.

Dems will love this guy. He is a hardcore unapologetic Democrat.

http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2007/05/08/rahm_emanuel/index.html

Apparently not all Dems. From that article you posted:

Many liberal bloggers, meanwhile, saw Emanuel as a triangulating sellout, an unprincipled hack making a reflexive, outdated and misguided rush for the center. They were committed to winning too, but they also wanted to draw a sharp distinction between Democrats and Republicans. Livid at Emanuel's statement that the party would take a position on Iraq "at the right time," they "lashed out at the DCCC for representing a muddle-headed centrism that would never rescue the Democrats or reignite the sweeping populism the country badly needed," Bendavid writes.

Blogger David Sirota spoke for an Internet wing that felt Emanuel "seemed to think that having no ideology, no convictions, is a winning formula ... Even if you do win under that scenario ... you have created an extremely tenuous majority." (Even after the election, the Nation's Web site insisted that many Democrats had won "despite the Illinois congressman," and the party would have captured more seats with an antiwar, anti-free trade platform.)

I said I knew it was a joke, I'm just saying I would have been absolutely crushed on this forum if I made the same jokes about Laura Bush and I still try to hold these people in high regard.

For what it's worth, I would have defended Cindy McCain if the election had gone opposite and someone cracked similar jokes.

I am curious though if you ever made a comment about Palin being hot or not...:2cents:

i don't understand slamming the pick already. its his first choice of his cabinet, albeit one of the most important.

let some time pass and see how he operates before automatically discounting it.

You can look at the guy's history to see how he'll operate

He is damn good at his job. Someone I'd love to have on my side

It is also a clear signal of what his approach will be. Emanuel is no "reach across the aisle" type, he is an unapologetic partisan. And there is nothing wrong with that, unless you campaigned on changing the tone of Washington

You can look at the guy's history to see how he'll operate

He is damn good at his job. Someone I'd love to have on my side

It is also a clear signal of what his approach will be. Emanuel is no "reach across the aisle" type, he is an unapologetic partisan. And there is nothing wrong with that, unless you campaigned on changing the tone of Washington

i agree that he is a partisan, but again time will tell how he operates in this position. one of the key reasons i voted for Obama was his bi-partisan approach. if he doesn't follow through on that, i'll be the first to call him on it. i just dont see the need in bashing his first cabinet pick before they'e had a chance to do anything

i agree that he is a partisan, but again time will tell how he operates in this position. one of the key reasons i voted for Obama was his bi-partisan approach. if he doesn't follow through on that, i'll be the first to call him on it. i just dont see the need in bashing his first cabinet pick before they'e had a chance to do anything
If that happens, it won't really matter if you call him on it will it?

Emanuel?

So much for bringing the country together

This guy is very good at being a partisan hack. Thats his job, and he is very good at it

Not the symbol you want in a "post partisan" world

Dems will love this guy. He is a hardcore unapologetic Democrat.

But boy, talk about sending a message

http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2007/05/08/rahm_emanuel/index.html

Yep. Change you can believe in my ass.

Course, to be able to do that, both parties need to be willing to work at it. I'm all for bi-partisanship, but considering the nastiness that has been around Washington for a while, I'm not too confident that it will happen.

Having a guy like Emmanuel at least helps guarantee that Obama won't get steamrolled by the other side. He'll also help him stay in office.

Jason

Emanuel is a decent pick for Obama- it gives him the "brawn" he needs, since he and his other cabinet members would undoubtedly be the "brains." I would have tried to recreate a true brain trust/Camelot though, and left Emanuel out of it. Hopefully he declines the position. I think Daschle would be a good pick here.

Emanuel is a decent pick for Obama- it gives him the "brawn" he needs, since he and his other cabinet members would undoubtedly be the "brains." I would have tried to recreate a true brain trust/Camelot though, and left Emanuel out of it. Hopefully he declines the position. I think Daschle would be a good pick here.

he already accepted the decision

White House Chief of Staff is not the same as other Cabinet jobs.

CoS has to be a tough guy, a manager who can keep the place running smoothly. It's not really a policy job, and it's not the CoS's job to reach across the aisle - the President himself has to do that.

Emmanuel looks like a good choice to me. He will just as happy telling anyone from any politicial persuasion to sit down, shut up and wait their turn. The far left hates his guts.

not all repubs dislike the selection, Lindsey Graham had this to say:

South Carolina Sen. Lindsey Graham, a close ally of Republican White House candidate John McCain, negotiated the terms of the presidential debates with Emanuel and said they made quick progress.

"This is a wise choice by President-elect Obama," Graham said. "Rahm knows Capitol Hill and has great political skills. He can be a tough partisan but also understands the need to work together. He is well-suited for the position."

Great job assuming what people would and wouldn't do when called upon to serve their country. Really.

http://www.mlive.com/us-politics/index.ssf/2008/11/hasta_la_vista_czar_arnold.html

AHNOLD said on Sunday he had no interest in becoming the energy Czar at least until his California governorship was done. Like I said before "California Governor > Secretary of Energy".

Also...

“He needs to do something about those skinny legs. I'm going to make him do some squats,” Schwarzenegger quipped. “And then, we're going to make him do some biceps curls to beef up those scrawny little arms.”

lol

NBC News is reporting Eric Holder has accepted the position of Attorney General

here's a link to the story (from yahoo, not NBC)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081118/pl_afp/uspoliticsobamajustice_081118204629;_ylt=An.FW_1hPsnuSnNe053BlFJh24cA

US president-elect Barack Obama has named longtime lawyer Eric Holder to be attorney general, making him the first African-American ever in the post, US media reported Tuesday.

Holder, who served as deputy attorney general under former president Bill Clinton, will head the Justice Department, Newsweek magazine said, citing legal sources close to the presidential transition.

Obama's transition team did not immediately comment on the report.

"Obama offered Holder the job and he accepted," the magazine said on its website, adding that "the announcement is not likely until after Obama announces his choices to lead the Treasury and State departments."

Holder was co-chief along with Caroline Kennedy of Obama's vice-presidential selection process and, like Obama, is a fellow alumnus of Columbia University in New York, the report said.

"He was on the short list from the beginning and obvious choice," Newsweek reporter Michael Isikoff told CNN.

"Also, a symbolic choice. This will be the first, he will be the first African-American to head the Justice Department, and that's a pretty big deal in its own right."

Archived