Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Obama have taken public financing?

Cooked Crack

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Nice slanted poll. But with a username like that, what can we expect.

Additionally, ANYONE claiming that tax payer money shouldn't be used has ZERO knowledge of how it actually appears. The TAXPAYER has to select the option that says "Use $3 of my taxes to fund the next Presidential Election". No every taxpayer funds the election. Only those that choose to do so fund the election.

Just like those who CHOSE to donate money to Obama's campaign.

If John McCain hadn't actually signed an agreement to accept public funds, recieved his check, and then renigged; again I might take you seriously.

Again, the word is "reneged". I've tried to cut down on grammar policing, but I'm having trouble letting this one go. Sorry.

Question: Did Obama give his word to the American people to agree with the Rep nominee to only use public funding?

Answer: Yes

When he realized he could have an easy 2:1 funding advantage by backing out of his promise, he did. And he tried to sell the whole "election fund raising is broken" bill of goods.

Translation: He broke his word. THAT, and that ALONE, is the issue.

Excellent Post.....

IF McCain did this - I would love to see those attack threads: McCAin LIES AGAIN!!!!

I'll give him props for that but not bringing up one issue doesn't mean it was honorable. When you have your crowds yelling death threats at your opponent, chances are you aren't running a honorable campaign.

Those accusations were false.

http://www.moonbattery.com/archives/2008/10/palin_rally_kil.html

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2107225/posts

http://beltwayblips.com/story/nobody_yelled_kill_him_about_obama_at_a_mccain_or/

No, and I would respect him less if he had. I expect the President to use every tool at his disposal to solve problems. If circumstances change and there is a much better system should he avoid it? Using corn for ethanol is dumb, but that's the way it was decided to be done. Now that we realize it was dumb should we continue or change? If you realize you have a huge advantage should you toss it out the window? What a foolish thing to do?

If nothing else, this allows people to vote, pre-election with their money

If the Redskins are facing teams with a really poor run defense should Zorn bench Portis just so the game is fair? It's ridiculous and I think most people recognize that this "lie" is not the kind of lie that one should be concerned with. It's a sign of understanding the times and taking advantage of the situation... or a mark of intelligence.

No, and I would respect him less if he had. I expect the President to use every tool at his disposal to solve problems. If circumstances change and there is a much better system should he avoid it? Using corn for ethanol is dumb, but that's the way it was decided to be done. Now that we realize it was dumb should we continue or change? If you realize you have a huge advantage should you toss it out the window? What a foolish thing to do?

If nothing else, this allows people to vote, pre-election with their money

And hence we see where the problem in politics comes from.

Used to be all a man had was his good name, now we toss it out for cash.

Here is a copy of the Federal Election Commissions Complaint against John McCain....

http://static1.firedoglake.com/1/files//2008/03/hamsher-complaint-with-fec-vs-mccain-1.pdf

John McCain did in fact agree with the FEC to accept public funds, signed a binding contract to that effect, and then after he signed that agreement; reneged on the spending limits, and unilaterally opted out of the program. He subsequently had to go to court to resolve the issue with the Federal Election Commission....

But Obama is the bad guy, because he mentions during a Democratic primary debate he would take public funds, and then a year latter, when it comes time to actually make the decicion to sign an agreement; changes his mind.

Gotcha..

As seen at recent McCain events, this afternoon's crowd was vocal in their support for McCain and their anger with Senator Obama. At one point one man could be heard yelling, "Off with his head," when McCain spoke about Obama's tax plan. That enthusiasm was even more present during Palin's remarks, and as other observers have reported in the past, today there was a sizeable number of people making their way towards the exit after McCain's running mate left the podium.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/10/08/1517943.aspx

Do you really believe McCain has ran an honorable campaign?

Excellent Post.....

IF McCain did this - I would love to see those attack threads: McCAin LIES AGAIN!!!!

:doh:, McCain did worse!!! McCain actually signed a binding contract with the FEC to accept public funds. Then overspent on his spending limits in violation of his agreement and had to go to court with the FEC over it...

Man alive...

http://static1.firedoglake.com/1/files//2008/03/hamsher-complaint-with-fec-vs-mccain-1.pdf

That's simply a result of the explosion of the availability of information to the masses, plus the increase in media costs, not to mention the explosion of channels where ad buys are necessary. TV campaigning used to be 3 channels now its exploded to 100 times that amount (bearing in mind that many channels don't get political ad buys). People used to think it was scandalous that D. Eisenhower used marketing executives to craft his campaign, but guess what? It worked and he beat Adlai Stevenson who insisted on airing several 30 minute speeches, Eisenhower instead turned his election into an ad campaign. Politics haven't been the same since.

Here is a copy of the Federal Election Commissions Complaint against John McCain....

John McCain did in fact agree with the FEC to accept public funds, signed a binding contract to that effect, and then after he signed that agreement; reneged on the spending limits, and unilaterally opted out of the program. He subsequently had to go to court to resolve the issue with the Federal Election Commission....

But Obama is the bad guy, because he mentions during a Democratic primary debate he would take public funds, and then a year latter, when it comes time to actually make the decicion to sign an agreement; changes his mind.

Gotcha..

Hey, I just said you were wrong. Glad to see that you agree that you were wrong.

Where was your moral outrage when Bush opted out of campaign financing because he was raising record funds in 2000 and 2004?

Hey, I just said you were wrong. Glad to see that you agree that you were wrong.

I was wrong that between August 13, 2007 when John McCain applied for public financing and signed a binding contract with the FEC to that effect and Feb 6th 2008 when he reneged on that binding contract; that he actually had recieved a check...

I can't document that.

The complaint does allege that McCain used the promise of pubilc funds after August and before February to secure a private loan to keep his campaign afloat when he was broke and thus did benifit from the public funds... before reneging on the spending limits.

Either way McCain actually signed a contract. Obama never even applied for federal funds.

As seen at recent McCain events, this afternoon's crowd was vocal in their support for McCain and their anger with Senator Obama. At one point one man could be heard yelling, "Off with his head," when McCain spoke about Obama's tax plan. That enthusiasm was even more present during Palin's remarks, and as other observers have reported in the past, today there was a sizeable number of people making their way towards the exit after McCain's running mate left the podium.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/10/08/1517943.aspx

Do you really believe McCain has ran an honorable campaign?

Yes because McCain can not control what people say at his rallies.

Yes because McCain can not control what people say at his rallies.

Someone in his crowd calls Obama a terrorist and he hears it and does nothing. Didn't seem like he was trying hard there. So running an ad that says your opponent wants to teach kids about sex before they can read is honorable? When his campaign tries to push a story about that white girl getting attacked and mutilated by a big scary black man that's an honorable campaign?

McCain has been talking about Barack Obama in his commercials more than himself. I can't remember seeing any recent commericals that McCain talks about himself.

Someone in his crowd calls Obama a terrorist and he hears it and does nothing. Didn't seem like he was trying hard there. So running an ad that says your opponent wants to teach kids about sex before they can read is honorable? When his campaign tries to push a story about that white girl getting attacked and mutilated by a big scary black man that's an honorable campaign?

McCain has been talking about Barack Obama in his commercials more than himself. I can't remember seeing any recent commericals that McCain talks about himself.

Obama hasn't been talking about McCain? To be honest I have not seen that ad with sex thing. But was it wrong calling out someone who is not cleary ready to deal with Forgien Policy, and wanting to spread the wealth around to people who do not work.

Yeah but that storyof that crazy girl was quashed in a day or two when she came forward. What about the Palin hanging from a house? What about the people defacing other peoples property with F*** McCain?

Unknown. First I heard of it.

But I openly admit I was neo-con disciple in 2000 and 2004.

the use of public funds in the primaries by the top-tier candidates – has been dead for some time. In 2000, George W. Bush started the trend by opting out of public primary money. In 2004, neither eventual nominee took the grant.

http://features.csmonitor.com/politics/2008/10/23/a-new-era-for-campaign-finance/

Knowing that Bush opted out twice (2000, 2004), Kerry opted out (2004) and McCain actually applied and signed a contract to recieve matching funds and then opted out in 2008. Don't you, " a neocon disciple from 2000-2004" think it's stupid to try to condemn Obama for opting out in 2008?

Obama who never even applied for matching funds?

Knowing that Bush opted out twice (2000, 2004), Kerry opted out (2004) and McCain actually applied and signed a contract to recieve matching funds and then opted out in 2008. Don't you, " a neocon disciple from 2000-2004" think it's stupid to try to condemn Obama for opting out in 2008?

Obama who never even applied for matching funds?

The reason why people are mad about it is because that he said he would then changed his mind and didn't do it.

Archived