Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

After 8 games, where does Zorn rank amongst NFC coaches?

kingdaddy

Here they are in no particular order. Where would you rank Zorn this early in his career?

John Gruden

Lovie Smith

Jon Fox

Andy Reid

Wade Phillips

Tom Coughlin

Mike Singletary

Mike Holmgren

Ken Whisenhunt

Mike McCarthy

Brad Childress

Jim Zorn

Mike Smith (Atlanta)

Jim Haslett

Sean Payton

Being totally honest, I'd only be willing to put John Fox and Mike Holmgren ahead of him at this point.

John Fox did an amazing job last year with what he had to deal with. He didn't win that many games, but he shouldn't of even been competitive. He was.

Mike Holmgren... well, enough said. His teams are always competitive. The injuries he's had to deal with at WR were really unfortunate this year... plus, I don't think he's as involved this year considering it's his last.

1st Tier - Simply put, chosen because they have won a super bowl as a head coach and both also are consistent winners wherever they go

Tom Coughlin - super bowl winner

John Gruden - super bowl winner

2nd Tier

Andy Reid - is a proven winner and although he has never won the big game, his teams are never pushovers

Jim Zorn - call this a homer pick but i just think he has the right attitude and is one of the better playcallers in the league and will soon get recognition as such (i know many on this board will disagree with this playcalling statement but he really does keep the opponent guessing in my opinion)

Lovie Smith - i was tempted to put him lower but he has made a superbowl with REX GROSSMAN and has overall done pretty well with what VERY LITTLE he has been given on offense by his front office

Jon Fox - has made it to the superbowl and once again has his panthers as a contender

Tier 3 -

Wade Phillips - has yet to win a playoff game with supreme talent in dallas and well we see what is happening this year (although if he continues to playcall on defense and leads them on a playoff run this year he could move up to tier two)

Mike Holmgren - many will likely argue with this pick but he is a LAME DUCK coach so he really is not an effective coach right now and it shows on the field

Ken Whisenhunt

Mike McCarthy

Tier 4

Brad Childress

Mike Smith (Atlanta)

Jim Haslett

Sean Payton - a playoff appearance without the emotion of katrina is a must with an offense with that much talent and he simply hasn't gotten it done

Mike Singletary

Are we ranking these coaches based on this year, or on their careers?

It's very difficult to compare by career if you're trying to put Mike Holmgren or Jon Gruden next to Mike Smith and Jim Zorn. On the other hand, looking only at this year, Zorn clearly should be close to the top.

1st Tier - Simply put, chosen because they have won a super bowl as a head coach and both also are consistent winners wherever they go

2nd Tier

Andy Reid - is a proven winner and although he has never won the big game, his teams are never pushovers

Jim Zorn - call this a homer pick but i just think he has the right attitude and is one of the better playcallers in the league and will soon get recognition as such (i know many on this board will disagree with this playcalling statement but he really does keep the opponent guessing in my opinion)

Lovie Smith - i was tempted to put him lower but he has made a superbowl with REX GROSSMAN and has overall done pretty well with what VERY LITTLE he has been given on offense by his front office

Jon Fox - has made it to the superbowl and once again has his panthers as a contender

Tier 3 -

Wade Phillips - has yet to win a playoff game with supreme talent in dallas and well we see what is happening this year (although if he continues to playcall on defense and leads them on a playoff run this year he could move up to tier two)

Mike Holmgren - many will likely argue with this pick but he is a LAME DUCK coach so he really is not an effective coach right now and it shows on the field

Ken Whisenhunt

Mike McCarthy

Tier 4

Brad Childress

Mike Smith (Atlanta)

Jim Haslett

Sean Payton - a playoff appearance without the emotion of katrina is a must with an offense with that much talent and he simply hasn't gotten it done

Mike Singletary

For the most part I would agree, but I'd take Payton or Smith over Wade Phillips any day. Payton has had just as much success as Phillips, with a team that most would consider to have less talent. Smith has made some huge strides with a team that was a complete joke last year, and with a rookie quarterback no less.

In the NFC, just considering this year, he's right at the top. I'd put him up there with Tom Coughlin, John Fox, Mike Smith, Ken Whisenhunt and Tony Sparano.

Four of those coaches have teams that have struggled (well, Carolina just last year really) for awhile, and they're doing a really good job spinning **** into gold (or at least a gold substitute). Coughlin's team won a Superbowl, so he'd better be in that list.

Honestly, if the team continues at this pace, Z deserves serious consideration for Coach of the Year. I'd say it'd have to be between him and Jeff Fisher.

2nd Tier

Tier 3 -

Ken Whisenhunt

Mike McCarthy

Tier 4

Brad Childress

Mike Smith (Atlanta)

Jim Haslett

Mike Singletary

Mike Holmgren should be much higher. One season doesn't count out all the things he has accomplished. He's taken his teams to THREE Super Bowls more than any other coach on this list. Plus he's been dealing with a ton of injuries this year. Put him in tier 1.

Lovie Smith is arguable. The Bears had virtually the same team for some time. I think they went to the NFC Championship game w/ Dick Jauron as head coach not too long before Lovie stepped in. I'd put him in tier 3.

Jim Zorn has done an amazing job but I'll wait and see what happens.

Mike Smith hasn't been coaching for some time but he should be commended for getting the hapless Falcons in playoff contention.

Lovie Smith is arguable. The Bears had virtually the same team for some time. I think they went to the NFC Championship game w/ Dick Jauron as head coach not too long before Lovie stepped in. I'd put him in tier 3.

Lovie Smith did go to a Super Bowl, and there's something to be said for that. As far as the Bears team being essentially the same, I'm not too sure about that. The QB situation is up in the air every offseason, and they're on their third feature back in 4 or 5 years. WR has been a revolving door in that city for a while now, and to a certain extent the same can be said for the defensive backfield.

Archived