Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: DE Taylor will have second leg surgery (M.E.T.)

ohioskinsfan

Per ESPN.com:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3662510

Redskins' Taylor to undergo second surgery on troublesome left calf

ASHBURN, Va. -- Washington Redskins defensive end Jason Taylor went to a hospital Friday to have his left calf re-examined, and coach Jim Zorn said Taylor will have a second operation on the leg next week.

Taylor did not practice but still hopes to play Sunday against the Detroit Lions. He is listed as questionable on the injury report.

"To be honest, I don't even know what the game plan is right now," Taylor said. "I'm going to the hospital now to find out what we're going to do, and the only thing I'm focused on right now is hopefully playing in the game on Sunday and trying to help this team beat the Lions. The rest of that stuff doesn't really matter right now."

Taylor was kicked in the calf during Washington's victory over the Arizona Cardinals on Sept. 21. Blood began to pool in the leg overnight, and Taylor had to undergo an emergency operation the next morning. He missed two games, then played a limited role in the last two while wearing a titanium pad on the leg. Stitches were removed this week, but bleeding continued to be a problem.

"He's trying to play football on it, but that may not be allowing it to heal fast enough," Zorn said.

Taylor, the NFL's career sacks leader among active players, has only one sack this season. He was acquired in a trade with Miami after Phillip Daniels was lost for the season with a knee injury on the first day of training camp.

The injury report formally ruled out defensive tackle Cornelius Griffin (shoulder), cornerback Shawn Springs (calf), receiver Malcolm Kelly (knee) and running back Ladell Betts (knee) for Sunday's game. Safety LaRon Landry also did not practice due to a hamstring injury, and running back Clinton Portis was limited again with a sore hip, but both are expected to play.

Thankfully, we have a late bye week...

I wish he would have just rested it enough the first time instead of trying to rush back. The team wasnt in so bad of shape that his return was desperately needed. I dont think he does himself, or anyone on the team a favor by playing hurt in such a way that his performance isnt that great. I understand almost everyone has some ailment, but I think he would be a lot better if he just rests and lets it heal that way he can be a dominant pass rusher again.

Why the hell does that Cerrato guy still have a job? He is a total failure. Devin Thomas, and Malcolm Kelly seem like they just can't handle the pro-game and Fred Davis is useless on our roster. Then you have the pointless Jason Taylor trade. A second round pick for a 35 year old DE? No wonder other front offices around the league laugh at the little man and his crony.

Thank god for Zorn and Gibbs. Gibbs' influence and direction and Zorns' mad coaching skills is really the only thing this franchise has going for it.

Taylor, be smart about this. You're not doing anybody any favors by trying to rush back. Get healthy and we'll see you for Dallas week.

My thoughts exactly. We know he has the talent, its just that he hasnt been healthy this season. Just rest on it and come back at full strength

Why the hell does that Cerrato guy still have a job? He is a total failure. Devin Thomas, and Malcolm Kelly seem like they just can't handle the pro-game and Fred Davis is useless on our roster. Then you have the pointless Jason Taylor trade. A second round pick for a 35 year old DE? No wonder other front offices around the league laugh at the little man and his crony.

Thank god for Zorn and Gibbs. Gibbs' influence and direction and Zorns' mad coaching skills is really the only thing this franchise has going for it.

Well, Cerrato needs to hope that Zorn continues his magic touch and get us to playoffs. If we do, I can't give him anything less than a B+ regardless of his personnel moves. Zorn may be a stroke of genius (or luck) and that buys a GM some time to make a few mistakes.

But let's just say that I was in the camp that SERIOUSLY questioned our draft picks and the incredibly hasty decision of bringing on Jason Taylor. Had we bolstered the offensive and defensive lines back in April, we don't need to make the trade and we're sitting pretty next year with a full slate of picks.

Some of you so called Fans are retarded..you cant stand it when the team Wins and seem to love it when you can complain when we lose..truth is you are not really REDSKIN lovers..you have a lousy life and you try and bring everyone else down..there are thirty teams in the nfl now who would love to be in the REDSKINS position..why dont you stupid complainers go root for the Raiders..:applause:

Calais Campbell could be a Redskin right now.

But Fred Davis was a supposive first round talent that we couldn't pass up on.

And what has Campbell done? 11 tackles, 0 sacks in 6 games.

We knew our needs at the D-line position, we decided to go with the overall best player available regardless of position, at least in the view of the Redskins scouts.

Really, Evans has done a good job of stepping up and at least solidifying our run stopping. Unfortunately, Taylor not at 100% has hindered our ability to get a consistent pass rush to get sacks. But, we have been getting in the face of the QBs and forcing them to rush their throws.

If I were a mod Id ban all you doom and gloomers. This board has turned into a bunch of ****es. Why dont you all go root for the damn Cowboys you freaking idiots. The team is playing great but you gotta ***** about Cerrato? We lost our starting LE!! We got a HALL OF FAMER!! Calais Campbell?!?! It just shows how stupid some people are.

Some of you so called Fans are retarded..you cant stand it when the team Wins and seem to love it when you can complain when we lose..truth is you are not really REDSKIN lovers..you have a lousy life and you try and bring everyone else down..there are thirty teams in the nfl now who would love to be in the REDSKINS position..why dont you stupid complainers go root for the Raiders..:applause:

Thank you.

Well, Cerrato needs to hope that Zorn continues his magic touch and get us to playoffs. If we do, I can't give him anything less than a B+ regardless of his personnel moves. Zorn may be a stroke of genius (or luck) and that buys a GM some time to make a few mistakes.

That's what I'm thinking... As long as we get the wins, people will forgive.

But let's just say that I was in the camp that SERIOUSLY questioned our draft picks and the incredibly hasty decision of bringing on Jason Taylor. Had we bolstered the offensive and defensive lines back in April, we don't need to make the trade and we're sitting pretty next year with a full slate of picks.

It's funny how the same people claiming that we didn't need depth at defensive line are the same people talking about how great of a trade Jason Taylor is. I mean, it's unfortunate that he got injured, but aren't these the same people who said our defensive line was fine BEFORE we acquired Jason Taylor?

Archived