Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2008 Help the Homeless Walkathon - 2nd annual ES group

SkinsNatsFan

Help the Homeless Walkathon

Everyone is welcome! It costs you nothing! Fannie Mae donates $50 if you turn in your form.

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Metro opens at 6:00 a.m.

Registration opens at 7:00 a.m.

Pre-walk activities begin at 8:30 a.m.

Walkathon begins at 9:00 a.m.

Transportation:

Take the Metro, Orange or Blue Line to the Smithsonian Station. Metro opens early at 6:00 a.m.

FannieMae Employee's Guest check-in is on the Mall at 7th Street NW(Madison Street Side, Blue and White Striped Canopy. )

Each year FannieMae sponsor's a walkathon on the National Mall in DC to raise money to help the homeless. As an employee of Fannie Mae, they will donate $100 if I show up and turn in my signed form, and $50 for each guest of an employee that shows up and turns in their signed form.

If possible I'd like to get a group of ESers to walk again this year as my guests. It's an easy walk and an easy way to raise money to help the homeless. There is nothing for you to pay if you go as a guest of an employee. Of course you can always donate also.

If you're interested in going, please PM me. I'll send you the guest registration form. Each person that's coming should fill one out and hand them in that morning at the pre-registered check-in booth. You'll also get a free t-shirt when you hand in your form.

Take the Metro, Orange or Blue Line to the Smithsonian Station.

We'll meet at 8:30-8:45 by the blue striped Fannie Mae pre-registered guest tent where we turn in the forms and get the t-shirts.

We'll hold up a small sign that that says ES. I'll be wearing a Redskins coat and hat. Dress warm!

Go Skins! :dallasuck :point2sky

Attendees:

SkinsNatsFan +2

Who Del

G.A.C.O.L.B.

bbruce0 +1

Thiebear

Maybe:

skinslove<3

docsandy

skinfan2k

pedigroove

Maxito

Burgold

http://www.helpthehomelessdc.org/site/PageServer

Any opinion is welcome as long as it bumps the thread. More people will see it and come out to walk.

And by the way, it doesn't just look like a good cause, it is a good cause.

Amy please plan on it!

skinfan2k if you decide to come, let me know. The key here is that as a guest of a Fanniemae employee there is no registration fee and $50 will be donated by FannieMae.

I never understood the whole "walking" thing. what makes walking such a great fundraiser?

If it raises money for a good cause, does it really matter? Not all people can run/ride bikes, etc. There are people who want to participate in fundraisers that are unable to walk. This "walkathon" allows people who want to feel like they are helping, but can't afford to actually donate, do so. I'm sure the walkers wear t-shirts, or have something to advertise the cause.

Do we get a t-shirt or anything if we participate in the walk?

I'm not asking because I'm a dick. I'm currently in a walking class in school (It is as lame as it sounds. But I need a single PE credit and that's the only PE class that is just a single credit) and a big part of the final grade is participation in a walkathon of our choosing. We need to bring a t-shirt to class that verifies we actually did it.

Do we get a t-shirt or anything if we participate in the walk?

I'm not asking because I'm a dick. I'm currently in a walking class in school (It is as lame as it sounds. But I need a single PE credit and that's the only PE class that is just a single credit) and a big part of the final grade is participation in a walkathon of our choosing. We need to bring a t-shirt to class that verifies we actually did it.

Thanks for bringing it up. I failed to mention it. Yes, everyone will get a t-shirt when they turn in their form.

I never understood the whole "walking" thing. what makes walking such a great fundraiser?

As someone said already, a more specific activity such as a bikeathon or runathon would eliminate many potential participants. Walking is such a fundamental natural human ability. Plus walking doesnt turn into a competition unlike biking or running. Plus it sure as hell beats the stairathon I did once in highschool for the wrestling team- man that was brutal.

To the OP this is awesome. Hopefully many people that attend this event will become educated on homelessness issues. I did a year working for Americorps with the Greater Cincinnati Coalition for the Homeless doing advocacy and working with civil rights issues. Too bad I dont live in DC or else I'd participate, Have fun and good luck brother!

There are also a couple of walks in other areas of the country ...

In Pasadena, the second annual HomeWalk, which is part of Pathway Home a year-round campaign to end homelessness led by the United Way of Greater Los Angeles and culminates in a 5K walk on Saturday, Nov. 15. Last year, HomeWalk raised more than $500,000, all of which was distributed into the community for homeless families and to provide permanent supportive housing for the chronically homeless in Los Angeles County.

The second annual Dallas Help the Homeless Walkathon on Saturday, Nov. 22. Co-sponsored by Fannie Mae, the Metro Dallas Homeless Alliance, and the City of Dallas.

I'm down. I'm going to do this. GACOLB, let me know if you're going we can walk that **** together. We'll take a picture if you can't get a shirt to prove you were there.

Word. Let's do this.

Alright SkinsNatsFan, count me and Who Del in.

And really, beyond just getting the shirt, helping the homeless is something that I have gotten behind in the past and will gladly get behind again. It's good to get my shirt but it's better to contribute to a cause that I care about. Two birds, one stone ftw.

Archived