Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clinton Portis has 818 yards after just seven games.(Merged)

Zen-like Todd

really?

Are you saying it is physically impossible for a defender to generate enough force to remove the ball from the carrier's hand even if he's holding it at tight as he can?

Because if that isn't the case then it isn't always on the ball carrier

uh yah thats what i am saying. if portis is holding the ball right it doesnt get popped out. the ball carrier is the constant the defender is the variable.

Oh, I'm not bashing. More like, I was crediting the Browns for getting pressure.

(And I'll admit, I couldn't see the game. Listened to the streaming radio. So all I can really say is that I kept hearing about JC getting hit.)

Mostly, my observation was more along the lines of "Today, our run game worked better than the passing game."

That much is true. Our running game has been outstanding and the passing game needs work.

It'll come along, but Campbell did have time to make plays, and he's still without an INT. Considering what the Browns did to Eli, I think Campbell did ok. He didn't light the world on fire, but hey, he didn't lose the game either. I think our Oline did fine for the most part.

uh yah thats what i am saying. if portis is holding the ball right it doesnt get popped out. the ball carrier is the constant the defender is the variable.

He played it perfectly. Unfortunately, he had no idea that there was a defender on his back right. If I'm his RB coach, I pat him on the back and tell him to keep doing what he's doing.

He was running downfield, and had gotten to the second level. He could see the defender coming ahead of him to his left. He had the ball in his right hand, which is the safest place. And I'm assuming he would have put two hands on it as soon as the defender he saw got within tackling distance. Would you rather have him holding the ball with 2 hands at all times? I wouldn't that's going to slow him down. It was a good hustle play by their defender. Portis did fine.

I told a buddy of mine he would be an 1800 yrd back this year and he is very happy he put him on hi fantasy team!:D

Seriously though...I have been saying it here all year! He is playing with a chip on his shoulder and is saying suck it to all the haters! He is playing like a true team leader and league MVP! I love you CP!

CP is only 182 yards out of 1,000 yards for the season, and it's only week 8. How crazy is this? If he can keep up his pattern of increasing yards per game then he very well may be at or above 1,000 yards on the season.He said he wanted to rush behing the best O-line in the league and he very well may be doing just exactly that as well as destroying opponents at the same time.

Will this be the best rushing season of his career, and is it possible that CP take the single season rushing record away from Eric Dickerson at 2,105 yards?

:dallasuck

CP is only 182 yards out of 1,000 yards for the season, and it's only week 8. How crazy is this? If he can keep up his pattern of increasing yards per game then he very well may be at or above 1,000 yards on the season.He said he wanted to rush behing the best O-line in the league and he very well may be doing just exactly that as well as destroying opponents at the same time.

Will this be the best rushing season of his career, and is it possible that CP take the single season rushing record away from Eric Dickerson at 2,105 yards?

:dallasuck

Clinton Portis has 818 yards through 7 games. He would have to AVERAGE 143 yards per game for the rest of the season to tie Dickerson's record. While Portis is on a tear, he still has to face the Steelers, Ravens and all three division opponents again this season. Don't see this season being a 2000 yarder.

Everyone knows right now that Portis has 818 yards. If you take his last 4 games and average them, it's 142.5. Just for grins and giggles, multiply that by the number of games left, 9 and that's 1283. Add to that the 818 he already has and it'd be 2101 yards on the year. I can see that happening. A few has said that "we still have Baltimore and Pittsburgh" which is true, but remember what Philadelphia was ranked and what Portis did to them?:D

Portis can definitely keep that up. As for the Detroit game this week...I say he will get 192 yards and 3 tds just for the hell of it, Skins win even bigger than last year, 38-3.:)

I don't think so. I don't even think i would really want him too. think about the number of carries that would take and the pounding his body would take. A lot of factors will determine how high portis' stats can go this year: 1) his own personal health, 2) the health and continued success of the O-Line (sellers cooley, etc included), and 3) in my opinion the most important, the development and furthered success of the passing game. If our passing game does to continue to develop and take steps forward throughout the season teams will revert back to stacking the box with 8 or 9 defenders, making running lanes hard to find. Part of that development for our passing game is the emergence of either D.Thomas or M. Kelly (or both) as viable options for our passing game, forcing teams to keep defenders out of the box.

That said, and if all those things happen expect anywhere from 1650-1850 yds and 14-17 TD's.

Clinton Portis has 818 yards through 7 games. He would have to AVERAGE 143 yards per game for the rest of the season to tie Dickerson's record. While Portis is on a tear, he still has to face the Steelers, Ravens and all three division opponents again this season. Don't see this season being a 2000 yarder.

The Eagles were the #1 run defense in the league when we faced them. Portis put up 145 yards on 5 yd avg. The Cowboys? 121 yards and a 5.8 yd avg. With our division opponents starting to implode, it seems as though Portis has a great opportunity.

Will he break 143 yards each divisional game and against the Steelers and Ravens? Hell no. He doesn't have to. Just average that much. I think he can do that. He's already destroyed a great run defense and the only two teams that really stopped him were at the beginning of the year when he was still getting his legs beneath him. Don't underestimate CP -he will murder opposing teams.

Not to mention, there are another 4 games which you didn't mention -all ripe for big yardage. Nobody thought he'd be at 818 yards after 7 games. Now you don't think he'll break Dickerson's record. Is he going to? Probably not. But I'm not going to dismiss him so easily anymore.

I thought this guy was going to catch some balls in the WCO. I for one would love to see Portis get a few passes. He is tough enough to run all day, but we are getting to be one dimensional. As his yds increase, Jasons passing yards decrease, and our games are getting closer. Coin flips at the end is not healthy. Port-is our best player, we need to use him all over the field. Our WR core is weak folks. Moss a stud, ARE is decent but... thats it. Thrash is a special teamer... lets get portis a ball down field a bit... dare i say he has the best hands on our team?

Can someone give me Jamal Lewis' season when he went over 2000 yards. What was his yardage after 7 games??

Never mind I found it.

Through seven games Lewis had a RIDICULOUS 977 yards. And had over 1000 through the next 9.

The thing is if Portis stays healthy, he has proven (2005), he runs pretty good during November and December. I think he has a good chance at over 1700 or even above the 1800, which he is on pace for.

by the way did i mention that if portis continues to put up at least a touchdown a game and continues his rushing pace...yea he should be MVP and pro bowl. Add JC still throwing no picks and the rooks get involved we can prove EVERYONE AND I MEAN EVERYONE of the "experts" even some of us fans that we can win this division and maybe home field in the playoffs. IT IS POSSIBLE, BELIEVE!!!

Archived