Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: McCain picks up key endorsement

Toe Jam

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/10/18/tampa-tribune-picks-mccain-philly-enquirer-praises-both-men/

(CNN) — John McCain won the endorsement of the Tampa Tribune Saturday, a key newspaper in the battleground state of Florida.

The paper, which leans conservative but chose not to endorse a candidate in 2004 over dissatisfaction with President Bush, said the "uncertain times require McCain's tested vigilance."

"McCain brings a lifetime of useful experience, including his grueling captivity in Vietnam and long Senate service. He believes in federalism, a strong defense and disciplined self-interest," the paper wrote. "McCain has been willing to cross party lines to work on tough problems. He co-authored a campaign finance law that failed to fulfill its objective, but he did muster the bipartisan support needed to try to control the buying and selling of public office."

Earlier Saturday, Barack Obama was endorsed by the Miami Herald, another key paper in Florida.

Meanwhile, Barack Obama won the backing of the Philadelphia Enquirer Saturday, but the paper noted the endorsement was not unanimous, and offered praiseworthy editorials of both candidates.

"These times demand steady, focused leadership," the paper wrote of Obama. "Leadership that takes America far from the policies that have created so much fear. Leadership that says it's OK to hope, because hope properly directed yields results. Barack Obama is ready to provide that leadership."

Of McCain, the editorial said, "A President McCain would work across the political aisle. He's done it before, often angering fellow Republicans. And his character is unassailable. The selfless and courageous way he conducted himself during 51/2 years as a POW says much about the man."

Well done, Sen. McCain. Now you're only down 64-19 as far as newspaper endorsements. The Chicago Tribune endorsed Obama. That is the first time in the paper's history (a hundred and many years) that they have endorsed a democrat.

Isn't obama from Chicago? That's not a huge feat.

I'd say VA isn't much compared to the electoral votes of FL. However, the fact that so many "republican" states are in play (GA, VA, etc) is a testament to Obama's strategy.

It isn't much but it's enough for Obama to win. If he wins all Kerry states + Iowa and flips VA, then he's over 270. Pennsylvania could mess it up but he's polling much higher than McCain.

It's a very huge feat considering the Chicago Tribune is a conservative paper and has never endorsed a Democrat.
It would be if Obama were from Kentucky and the Chicago Tribune endorsed him.

As Brave said, we are talking about the Chicago Tribune...a very conservative newspaper that has always endorsed a Republican since it was founded in 1847. This is a huge endorsment and their decision to endorse him has nothing to do with Obama being from Chicago.

It would be if Obama were from Kentucky and the Chicago Tribune endorsed him.

The Seattle Times also endorsed Obama. And it is a conservative paper....

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/editorialsopinion/2008190671_obamaed21.html

As president, Barack Obama can get America moving forward again.

An economic Katrina is shattering the confidence of hardworking, middle-class Americans. The war that should never have been in Iraq is dragging on too long. At a time of huge challenge, the candidate with the intelligence, temperament and judgment to lead our nation to a better place is Sen. Barack Obama.

Obama should be the next president of the United States because he is the most qualified change agent. Obama is a little young, but also brilliant. If he sometimes seems brainy and professorial, that's OK. We need the leader of the free world to think things through, carefully. We have seen the sorry results of shooting from the hip.

As our country lurches from one financial or energy crisis to the next, American taxpayers remain burdened with the cost of the war in Iraq and Afghanistan — to the tune of $12 billion a month.

Consider the banking and financial morass. Neither Obama nor his opponent, Sen. John McCain, offers a perfect solution. But McCain is all over the map, veering from statements such as "The fundamentals of our economy are strong" to the more obvious "Wall Street is threatened by greed."

McCain is at heart a deregulator. But it is the hands-off and ineffective federal regulatory system that allowed this mess to fester. Obama offered a more coherent approach months ago when he called for regulating investment banks, mortgage brokers and hedge funds and streamlining overlapping regulatory agencies.

Our country is on the wrong track. Average, middle-class citizens have lost confidence that if they work hard, they can improve their lives, afford to send their kids to college and not be tossed out of their homes.

American optimism has been wracked by President George Bush and a previous Republican Congress. If you want change, you do not keep what is essentially the same team in power. You try something different. You vote for the stronger matchup, Obama and Sen. Joseph Biden, a smart and steady hand on foreign policy and other matters.

On the issues:

• The economy: The Good Ship America is listing in turbulent waters. Sinking mortgage and banking institutions are wreaking havoc at home and abroad. The problem is in the private sector, but it has been made worse by a federal policy favoring big corporations. The Bush administration has not regulated these companies effectively or done what it takes to curb their wants.

Obama understands this better than McCain and makes clear he would do more to correct it. Obama's assistance to the middle class in the form of tax cuts and college-tuition breaks is a centerpiece of his campaign.

• Energy: The energy crisis is zapping our economic well-being. What does McCain want to do? "Drill, baby, drill," to quote the mindless chant at the Republican National Convention. That is not an energy policy. It is a cheap, shortsighted slogan.

Obama has a coherent plan that includes some drilling, as a stopgap, but he looks to a mix of renewable resources. He is more likely to move America off its dependence on foreign oil. McCain has been in office for 26 years and done little to change this dynamic.

• The Iraq war: Many Americans will cast their vote on this one issue alone. Past performance is the best indicator of future conduct. Obama opposed the war, McCain supported it full-bore. Obama has a plan for moving the troops out; McCain seeks "victory," whatever that actually means. The net effect will be more time and money wasted in a country that did not participate in 9/11.

Afghanistan harbors the key culprits, and the situation there is worse than it has been in eight years. Afghanistan is where our bigger effort should be, as Obama has articulated.

• Education: Obama is more practical than ideological on education. He wants merit pay for good teachers and extra training or firing for lousy ones. He wants to double federal funding for charter schools, but not in a way that cuts into the heart of public schools. Obama recently gave a major speech on education. McCain is too low-key on an important issue.

On numerous other issues, from media consolidation to health care, Obama has the stronger take. He makes up for a thin résumé with integrity, judgment and fresh ideas. Obama can get America moving forward again.

As Brave said, we are talking about the Chicago Tribune...a very conservative newspaper that has always endorsed a Republican since it was founded in 1847. This is a huge endorsment and their decision to endorse him has nothing to do with Obama being from Chicago.

What's the use of a paper that endorses you in your home state? Florida is a swing state, that is a key endorsement. I'm not saying that is going to change the election in any manner, but to not recognize this as a key endorsement in a swing state is quite foolish.

A Key endorsement? Florida?

I thought newspaper provided 4 things in Florida:

1) Bird cage lining. :)

2) Swatting those big ass bugs they have there. :cool:

3) Construction Material for rebuilding after the latest hurricane. :rolleyes:

4) Body cover/shade when you run out of sunscreen, break your shades or have your umbrella taken away. :silly:

People read newspapers for political information in Florida? :doh:

What's the use of a paper that endorses you in your home state? Florida is a swing state, that is a key endorsement. I'm not saying that is going to change the election in any manner, but to not recognize this as a key endorsement in a swing state is quite foolish.

I never said it wasn't a key endorsment for McCain by the Tampa Tribune and yes the Tampa endorsment is much more significant in terms of votes due to FL being a swing state.

I was just pointing out the fact that the Chicago Tribune had never endorsed a Democrat, and for them to do so should be recognized because it's a departure from their normal direction when endorsing a candidate.

A Key endorsement? Florida?

I thought newspaper provided 4 things in Florida:

1) Bird cage lining. :)

2) Swatting those big ass bugs they have there. :cool:

3) Construction Material for rebuilding after the latest hurricane. :rolleyes:

4) Body cover/shade when you run out of sunscreen, break your shades or have your umbrella taken away. :silly:

People read newspapers for political information in Florida? :doh:

?????

If people don't read newspapers for political information, what's the point of a newspaper endorsing anyone in the first place?

At this point in the campaign, what do media endorsements really mean? In my opinion, most people have pretty much made up their mind. I doubt their going to change their mind b/c of a newspaper endorsement.
I think they're more descriptive than prescriptive. If some unexpected newspapers endorse a particular candidate, it probably means that many of the people who typically read that newspaper are leaning the same way.

Endorsements might not mean much now but it is interesting to see how many switch from Bush to Obama. The Houston Chronicle endorsed Obama, the second Dem they've endorsed since 1964. It's also interesting to read past endorsements.

2000: Gore vs. Bush FOR GEORGE W. BUSH: ... The Houston Chronicle believes the Republican candidate, Texas Gov. George W. Bush, is the best choice, and the Chronicle is proud to endorse his candidacy. ... Gov. Bush would give the military the money it needs to correct those problems and prepare U.S. troops to meet any contingency with minimum risk. ...

The nation is fortunate to have mounting surpluses in the federal budget. Bush proposes a reasonable allocation of those resources to Social Security and Medicare reform, prescrip-tion drug benefits for the elderly, military preparedness and aid to public education, particularly the teaching of reading. ...

As the governor of Texas, Bush has demonstrated beyond any doubt that he can work with legislators of both parties to advance the public interest.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/editorial/outlook/6065740.html

I think they're more descriptive than prescriptive. If some unexpected newspapers endorse a particular candidate, it probably means that many of the people who typically read that newspaper are leaning the same way.

Agreed.

BTW, are you starting the 2nd official game thread tomorrow YOURSELF?! I still hold you personally accountable for our loss last weekend!

At this point in the campaign, what do media endorsements really mean? In my opinion, most people have pretty much made up their mind. I doubt their going to change their mind b/c of a newspaper endorsement.

Well, that would be my opinion too. But I hear there are still a lot of undecided people out there who are actually swayed by endorsements and commercials...which I don't understand at all, but whatever.

I would hope that people would make up their minds on the issues and not on endorsements, but I guess that's not the case...

Well, that would be my opinion too. But I hear there are still a lot of undecided people out there who are actually swayed by endorsements and commercials...which I don't understand at all, but whatever.

I would hope that people would make up their minds on the issues and not on endorsements, but I guess that's not the case...

if you are undecided at this point you need to get your damn head checked.

?????

If people don't read newspapers for political information, what's the point of a newspaper endorsing anyone in the first place?

political bonus points? toy surprises inside? promised future interviews and inside information?

who knows why anyone does anything? Most modern media is advertising and entertainment IMO.

Archived