Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Good luck to Brooks

Burgundy&Gold4Ever

I have this horrible feeling he'll end up in Dallas or somewhere else and be great.

Good luck Durant, just not against us.

EXACTLY. I still don't understand this to be honest. I have no idea how a kid who was the best college punter in the game less than a year ago struggles so much. The act of punting doesn't change does it? I mean with a lineman, etc they go against other college kids and some of their opponents are really strong and others are weak and they end up with great college stats and then get to the NFL and every week they are against a great player etc. With punting, I just don't understand. This kid was punting awesome in college last year.

I wish him the best and I absoluely fear that he will get picked up inside the division some day. And I agree with the OP, he is a good guy, never ****ed or complained etc. Took responsibility. I feel for him as well and I wish him well.

BG4Ever -

I like to think we're friends.

Still, I can't summon much sympathy for young Mr. Brooks. The NFL = Not For Long.

He's proven that axiom.

So long Durant.

Good luck in your future endeavors.

BigRedskinDaddy, I'll still be your friend even though you have a little trouble with directions. ;) I guess you're wishing the guy good luck, so you technically meet the criteria I set for posts in this thread, but I wouldn't consider that message to be fully supportive.

I'm disappointed we didn't stash him on IR and bring him back to compete during Training Camp. Good luck to him. Hopefully this doesn't come back to haunt us.

agreed, most punters suck early in their career, its the change of the ball shape, once they adjust they could end up being great punters plakermeyer(sp) is a good example

brooks will punt in this league for somebody, we will se him again someday, 20 yarders will not be in the mix that day

The kid was directly responsible for two punt returns for touchdowns, gave the Rams a field goal last weekend with another shank and mishandled a field goal snap. Plus, he was last in the league in two major punting categories. What is the big deal? He stunk. This is a business. Goodbye Durant.

I think most posters are hung up on the fact that he was the college kicker of the year and was a draft pick. Man, if only we could get another punter with that resume....oh wait :rolleyes:

Are punters supposed to come in as rookies and contribute? Seems like he fit the "theme" of this years draft-just give 'em time to develop. However, injured or not, he was a major contributor to poor field position.

Good luck Brooks! Here's hoping we can "develop" you in the near future and this one doesn't come back to haunt us.

The kid was directly responsible for two punt returns for touchdowns, gave the Rams a field goal last weekend with another shank and mishandled a field goal snap. Plus, he was last in the league in two major punting categories. What is the big deal? He stunk. This is a business. Goodbye Durant.

I think most posters are hung up on the fact that he was the college kicker of the year and was a draft pick. Man, if only we could get another punter with that resume....oh wait :rolleyes:

What a retarded post, the OP asked for positive posts only. With all the threads out there about Brooks and punters, you have to choose this thread to shoot your mouth off. :doh:

Are you one of those attention whores?

As for Brooks he will bounce back, and when he does, this will all be a bad memory.

Good luck Mr Brooks, whereever you are.

What a retarded post, the OP asked for positive posts only. With all the threads out there about Brooks and punters, you have to choose this thread to shoot your mouth off. :doh:

Are you one of those attention whores?

As for Brooks he will bounce back, and when he does, this will all be a bad memory.

Good luck Mr Brooks, whereever you are.

And the award for Internet tough guy of the year goes to TexasThunder. Congrats man. You are obviously an outstanding human being and an even better message board poster. I will now emulate you for the rest of my life.

Look, I obviously missed the OP's wish to keep the thread positive. For that, I apologize. I hope Brooks bounces back and finds another job somewhere.

He's dead last in the league in punting AND he's injured.

He'll clear.

Actually I think he ranks 33rd which would put him a level below last. I was really pulling for the kid to work it out, but fact is, we need someone who can do the job now. I'm with you guys in that I hope we can get him through waivers and stash him on IR. I think he's too talented to give up.

Can someone explain why we did not just put him on IR, like we did Reed Doughty?

Why run th erisk of losing him on the waiver wire?

Give him another chance next year in training camp.

He wasn't hurt. The MRI's were negative, and they can pick up a single broken capillary.

There is no risk whatsoever that any team, even in Canada will take a punter who plays this poorly. He was further back in net behind the 31st punter than the 31st punter was behind the #1 punter. By half again.

I'm OK with giving him another chance. He just needs to mature somewhere else. If the circumstances are right, who knows?

He wasn't hurt. The MRI's were negative, and they can pick up a single broken capillary.

There is no risk whatsoever that any team, even in Canada will take a punter who plays this poorly. He was further back in net behind the 31st punter than the 31st punter was behind the #1 punter. By half again.

I'm OK with giving him another chance. He just needs to mature somewhere else. If the circumstances are right, who knows?

turbo, you were out front calling it a mistake to turn the punting over to him. So you were right in this case.

So you are against stashing him on IR if he clears the injured-waiver list? You don't think it's worth it to bring him back next season a year older and wiser? Or are you of a mind to just let him go?

turbo, you were out front calling it a mistake to turn the punting over to him. So you were right in this case.

So you are against stashing him on IR if he clears the injured-waiver list? You don't think it's worth it to bring him back next season a year older and wiser? Or are you of a mind to just let him go?

IDK. I don't talk with the kid or see him at practice. This is a mental thing. We all know he has the leg. Punters migrate around the league and various camps before they catch on somewhere. Usually. It takes a mental toughness to kick. It's almost like you are not really part of a team. With the possible exception of a FG kicker winning a game, a kicker makes a spectacular kick and gets a few helmet pats on the sideline. A good tackle or an interception has guys dancing, and the player is swarmed on the sideline by coaches and team mates alike.

IDK why things are that way. But I think part of the mental toughening process is not being in a supportive college type team atmosphere, and dealing with failure. Lots of failure. The pros are a lot different for kickers than school. When a good kicker makes a bad kick, and they all do, he has to be able to totally forget about it and kick the next one balls out. That's not easy, and even harder for a young kid on his own for the first time. Coaches don't even know how to accelerate the process. That's why punters get cut so often until they find a groove somewhere. Coaches don't even talk to kickers much. Many have admitted they don't understand them. They are the lone wolves of the NFL.

I think part of the process is desire too. A willingness to face defeat and get right back up. If you get kicked around the league without getting discouraged, you are already proving some mental toughness. If Brooks comes back next camp and ACTUALLY beats Placman, I'd probably give him another shot. I'm not sure what all IR entails as far as obligations.

But please, no more drafting punters.

Archived