Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My top three "WTF???" moments WK 6 (Updated Weeky!)

Passizle

Ok, ok...

So this is new and not updated weekly, but will be as the season progresses. I though I could start a new column for my own venting pleasure and hopefully start some good discussion and and receive some pithy comments.

So let me start this off by making a statement.

We are still a great team. I have confidence that this was just a bump in the road. On we go...

WTF moment #1:

What happened to ball security? Three turnovers in 30:00 minutes. Its hard to win a game when you are giving the ball to the opposition at every corner. Whats worse is that none of them were cause by the Rams. They were all butterfinger problems.

Pluses? Campbell is still looking great out there. With horrible protection, he still did not turn the ball over once, and rallied us to be in front before the end of the game. Gotta love Portis too!

WTF moment #2:

Actually this is a bunch of moments... MESSAGE TO ZORN. Please call Frost back and beg him to play, if he has not been snatched up yet. I have seen enough of Brooks. I know we wanted consistancy in the punt game, but consistantly shanking, or shorting punts was NOT what I was hoping for.

Pluses? Not much. Special teams stunk up the joint heavily. The shining bright spot is Rock continues to be consistant on kickoffs. How aout we let him do punt returns too. I am tired of watching ARE juke himself out of a good return.

WTF moment #3

This goes on Fletcher and Blache... WHEN YOU SEE BULGER IN THE SHOTGUN WITH JACKSON STANDING TO HIS SIDE... EXPECT A RB DRAW!!!

I could not tell you how many times they ran that play up the gut for good gains. We finallly sniffed it out in the fourth quarter, but had we done that sooner, we would have taken their most dangerous player out of the game early and probably negated some of our own turn overs, by forcing Bulger to pass in the timing offense... and to disrubt a timing based offense? BLITZ!:doh:

Pluses? Our D looked pretty good for most of the game. I was very dissapointed with the lack of a pass rush though. This is the Rams guys... you need to bring some heat to the game. Nothing is a gimmie these days.

Well... all in all I cant say I am totally disgusted. I actually thought we would lose this game before we started. There is just something on the wall after two HUGE road games against division rivals. When we came out flat, it kind of solidified that.

Once again, I love the second half changes... but too little too late today. Hopefully this is a lesson for next week to come out with a little more intensity.

4-2 aint a bad place to be at this point in the season. I give the Skins a mulligan this week. Lets learn a lesson and move on.

Bring on the Browns!

PS moment... next time Samuels has to come out of the game for any amount of time, lets try plugging in Rhinheart. Matching up Fabini with Long was just stupid and was the sole reason for the Rams first score.

One more thing. Our offense has really come around, but can we try not running into eachother? I can think of at least three instances where moves like that cost us a score, a first down, or good field position.

Rant off.

Comments?

I've got one.

How about we play the 32nd ranked pass defense (or close to it), they have a banged up seconedary and only three active DBs....and we don't challenge them!

:wtf:

Where were the deep balls? All game long, save for one or two moments late in the game when we were in desperation mode, most of Campbell's throws were 3-4 yard dump offs and screens. I know the WCO is predicated on the short stuff, but still, it's like we didn't take any chances...and against that secondary, what a wasted opportunity.

I also hear that Zorn wanted to stick to his game plan, in spite of the score....that's all fine and dandy, it worked like a charm against Philly. But why wasn't attacking their secondary part of the game plan?

:doh:

I've got one.

How about we play the 32nd ranked pass defense (or close to it), they have a banged up seconedary and only three active DBs....and we don't challenge them!

:wtf:

Where were the deep balls? All game long, save for one or two moments late in the game when we were in desperation mode, most of Campbell's throws were 3-4 yard dump offs and screens. I know the WCO is predicated on the short stuff, but still, it's like we didn't take any chances...and against that secondary, what a wasted opportunity.

I also hear that Zorn wanted to stick to his game plan, in spite of the score....that's all fine and dandy, it worked like a charm against Philly. But why wasn't attacking their secondary part of the game plan?

:doh:

I agree with you to a point. But to be honest Campbell was pressured heavily all game long. I think thats why we kept the running game going. I know Long is good, but there were points where guys from the secondayr were coming in untouched. We need to pick up blitzes and allow Campbell to scan the field and change the play. It kind of reminded me of the Giants game the way Zorn was running it.

Regarding ARE punt returns... Actually being at the game yesterday instead of watching on TV like I usually do, I noticed something. While ARE does seem to like to shuffle around a bit before he gets going, he does so because there is literally no place for him to run. Our punt return blocking is absolutely terrible. ARE gets the ball, looks up and sees 6 guys coming right at him, so what's he supposed to do. Plus he's actually getting used to not having any blocking and just running forward 5 yards instead of running sideways for 0 yards. Those 5 yards are usually all that are available.

And on the verge of being cut. What is the obsession with Frost? It's very weird. he's a horrible punter. Really freaking weird obsession with people here.

Couldn't agree more. Frost is in danger of losing his job for the second time this season. He's not the answer and he never will be.

As far as the passing game, Campbell had no time to throw deep.

Regarding ARE punt returns... Actually being at the game yesterday instead of watching on TV like I usually do, I noticed something. While ARE does seem to like to shuffle around a bit before he gets going, he does so because there is literally no place for him to run. Our punt return blocking is absolutely terrible. ARE gets the ball, looks up and sees 6 guys coming right at him, so what's he supposed to do. Plus he's actually getting used to not having any blocking and just running forward 5 yards instead of running sideways for 0 yards. Those 5 yards are usually all that are available.

I think you are right on.

We should just go for an all out block and forget setting up the return. It ain't working to this point.

And on the verge of being cut. What is the obsession with Frost? It's very weird. he's a horrible punter. Really freaking weird obsession with people here.

agreed. I'd seriously HATE to have him back. Let Brooks develop in practice and whatnot, and grab a guy to replace him for the time being. Put Brooks on PS or something.

We moved the ball well so I can't really blame the play-calling, but the fact is the Rams simply don't have anyone who can cover, so it was disheartening how we did not attack their secondary.

Of course, I can only remember us going 4-wide on one play.

Jansen whiffed and Leonard Little went untouched to crush JC.

It just seemed like every time the Skins had a Deep PA pass called the Rams would get good presser from their DEs. Campbell would either get sacked or step up in the pocket and throw short to a RB or WR.

1. Turnovers

2. Special Teams ( 26 yard punts WTF)

3. Pass Protection ( can't believe this wasn't mentioned here earlier)

I still think the offense played well. It's just your not going to win many games if you turn the ball over 3 times in the first half. And t o the OP how could yo say none of the TOs were caused by the Rams? I'll give you the Rabach snaffue, but the Rams made the Kendall fumble happen by not only causing the fumble but tipping the pass at the LoS. :brownsuck

Archived