Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our Pass Rush is a BIG Problem

armada58

I'm fuming about the loss to The Rams. I'm just furious. However, I'll get over it. I don't need to be talked down from any ledges. I still believe this team can make the playoffs. We've got a serious problem though, my friends. Our Pass Rush is virtually non-existant. If there were an opponent that our Pass Rush could get "healthy" against, it was the Rams. The Rams' Offensive Line is one of the worst in the league, but our D-Line got very little pressure all day. Our best pressure came from Shawn Springs and Chris Horton. While that is nice to see, the fact that it was pretty much the only pressure we got all day is troubling to say the least. We're getting very little push from the D-Tackles to collapse the pocket and our D-Ends are NOT getting to the QB. Jason Taylor, while probably not 100%, is invisible out there.

This is a major problem that will haunt us all year. The QB should not have the kind of time to sit back there and throw deep balls without even getting breathed on. I don't know what the answer is. There certainly aren't any answers currently not on the roster. The answers will have to come from within. I've been very happy with performance of the defense overall throught the first 6 games. Blache has done a great job, but he needs to figure something out and start getting some pressure on the QB.

Let me reiterate that, while phenominally dissapointed in the loss to the Rams, the sky is not falling in my mind. We are a team on the rise!! The Pass Rush, however, is a real serious problem.

SERIOUS PROBLEM!! They had more pressure on Campbell than we had on Bulger.. It's Pathetic! WE have to be an all around defense. This was a game that our defense should've won for us. There will be games where the offense struggles but the defense should step up and win it for us. No pressure from our front four, dropped Ints, and no turnovers that convert into big plays.. We can't just be a good defense and hope to contend for the playoffs. We have to be a great defense. Our offense isn't great enough yet to balance a good defense. We have to be great and it starts up front!

Thats the next step for the front office. We have better get a stud pass rusher in here quick. And Im not talking about a 250lbs weakling. Im talking a 285-290 guy that can play both the run and pass well, but the 2009 draft had better be all lineman picks, offense and defense.

the pass rush has been nonexistent so far this season...i believe we have 8 sacks this season and some of them has been due to coverage...i am very disappointed in the lack of pass rush and will be a major problem as the season progresses...average QBs will look great without any pressure, but so far our DBs are covering well so haven't really been an issue...i really hope Vinny realizes the problem and drafts DLs in the upcoming draft

on a side note, i would like to see Rob Jackson on some passing downs as he was great in preseason

Pass rush is no problem at all. Blache plays defense by his linemen keep containment and not selling out to go to the QB. Thats why they always stop the run so well and give up few first downs. If they rushed wider you would see more sacks. Blache does not want that. He would rather send guys from the secondary for a rush.

The problem is the offense. Like it has been the past 10 years Snyder has owned the team. They score in the teens too much. And if they score in the 20s its because of a defensive turnover or two usually.

8 ****ing first downs all game. Some of you guys have no clue what is going on.

Seriously, their offense scored 12 points...

Our offense handed them 7 and pissed away 3 potential scoring drives. The defense kept us in the game until the end. If they played like the offense, this would have been a much, much uglier game.

Blache's defense all season long has been about containment, and taking advantage of turnovers and interceptions when they are presented. We have aging defensive lineman that have lost a lot of their mobility and speed. We have a secondary unit that is almost second to none, and I linebacker corps that is very good as well. Blache is leaning on the secondary because if he uses his defensive lineman for straight pass rushing we will give up more yards on the ground giving opposing offenses more time to pick us apart. What Blache has done so far after the Giants tore us apart with Brandon Jacobs is simply smart football by using what the defenses best assets are. With that being said opposing quarterbacks cannot continue to sit back and pick us apart with 1:30 left in the game and skins are up 17 to 16. Some pressure from the defensive lineman at that point is a must, especially when you know that St Louis is not going to run the football at that point all they need is a feild goal to win it.:gaintsuck

Marc Bulger....15/26 136 yards....0 touchdowns.....43 of those yards in his last pass

What more do you want from the defense? I mean seriously are you guys stupid or just dont know football?....i hate to be so blunt but do you have a clue? we lost this game because of the 3 fumbles....plain and simple

I'm just curious but you people do know the other team gets paid as well....and that they are in the NFL.....its not like they're out there looking for their helmets in between series and Bulger is on the bench reading the newspaper.....omg im done ranting now

Marc Bulger....15/26 136 yards....0 touchdowns.....43 of those yards in his last pass

What more do you want from the defense? I mean seriously are you guys stupid or just dont know football?....i hate to be so blunt but do you have a clue? we lost this game because of the 3 fumbles....plain and simple

I'm just curious but you people do know the other team gets paid as well....and that they are in the NFL.....its not like they're out there looking for their helmets in between series and Bulger is on the bench reading the newspaper.....omg im done ranting now

:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Blache has been playing a "soft" defense in the sense of not blitzing very often. He leaves it to the front four to get pressure. For the most part this strategy has worked - we've faced some big time passing offenses and have handled them well. Carlos Rogers and Shawn Springs have made this strategy good.

However, the pass rush still could be improved, especially in the center. A more wicked pass rush would make the defense even more dominating. In the offseason it would be smart to get a defensive tackle who can collapse the pocket from the inside and draw folks from Carter and Taylor. Someone like Haynesworth, mentioned above, but perhaps someone younger so we can keep him for awhile. Also, Carter and especially Taylor won't be around forever, so we would be smart to get a badass young end.

didnt we have some sacks today, one particularly coming from monty....idk what some of you are talking about.

But i think we have to let one of the young DTs go and bring in haynesworth. he is an absolute monster.

Carter. DT. Haynesworth. Taylor

I like that line. Either monty or golston next to AH. But i am getting way to far ahead of myself.

Thats the next step for the front office. We have better get a stud pass rusher in here quick. And Im not talking about a 250lbs weakling. Im talking a 285-290 guy that can play both the run and pass well,

Good luck. They are almost non-existent.

Mario Williams and Julius Peppers are the closest thing. They weight 283, and Peppers had 2.5 sacks over 14 starts in 2007.

Guys like them don't grow on trees.

Almost all of the top sacking DEs are speed rushers. Take your pick - stud pass rusher or 285-290 guy. You rarely can have both.

Taylor fully healthy will be a big help, but we need to get pressure from all 4 lineman. The offense holding on to the ball would also be a big help, owe and a punting unit that could punt the ball more than 25 yards on average. Ya that might be asking for a bit much but I thought I would give it a try!!!:gaintsuck

I think your missing the point. I think we have had 2 sacks in the last 3 games. Sorry but that's bad and will come back to haunt us. Yes as a whole the defense played great, but our d-line is horrible. They better pick it up or the secondary is going to start getting killed. That's why our secondary is ranked so low in the NFL. They have to run around all day with WRs to stop them. The d-line needs to get some damn pressure. The guy that made this thread is right now matter what some of you think.

Our pass rush is not a "BIG" problem. It's arguably not a problem at all. I could careless if we don't get anymore sacks all season long. To hold any offense in the NFL to 0 TDs, all the while dealing with some of the worst field position handed to the opposing team by Special Teams or Offense.... is simply DOMINATION.

You can't complain. Our Dline is doing a great job filling in their gaps and giving RBs nowhere to run. Our LBs roam free to make plays. This is purposefully done, and I like it. We don't need guys rushing the passer every play just to open up running lanes. We apply pressure all the time, it's just we've had the unfortunate "throwaway" pass a lot this season... mainly because we've been playing QBs that know how to get rid of the ball quickly.

Bulger got rid of the ball early almost EVERY drive because of the pressure, resulting in incomplete passes or third down pass plays that didn't come close to reaching the marker. Look at the game tape, and tell me our Dline isn't doing a great job. Stopping the run the way we do against PREMIER backs is not an easy task, and it doesn't happen without a scheme that sacrifices rushing the passer a bit.

Sure, maybe we can use a bit more penetration from our DTs on obvious passing situations, but I'll take that anyday.

Archived