Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Our Pass Rush is a BIG Problem

armada58

Actually, it's stupid... Why complain about something that isn't costing you games? Our team lost two games because they either couldn't put together offensive drives, fumbled the ball, and continuously lost the battle for field position.

Most of you guys are so committed to your pass rush arguments from the past that you can't objectively look at our performance and see what our real problems are.

BTW, our best pass rusher has been injured most of this season... We've played 5 of the best offenses in the league this year... The 6 teams we've played have been sacked 56 times in 33 games (1.69 sacks/game). In the 27 games we weren't involved in they were 48 sacks in 27 games (1.77 sacks/game). Our opponents have given up 8 hundredths of a sack more in games we haven't played them! Wow... What a difference that would've made to the outcome if we could've just had 8 hundredths of a sack more! Nevermind the fact that we've controlled the time of possession in every game we've played except the first.

This isn't a big deal considering who we have played and how we have done on defense.

I disagree. I don't think it is our greatest weakness but I do think it's a problem. We play containment on defense. That keeps us in games but gets the QB comfortable enough to make plays downfield eventually. No, it hasn't lost us games yet. But eventually we will play a QB that starts to burn our coverage and people on here will be complaining that our coverage sucks and that LOS sucks, so on and so on. Although, in reality, a pass rush by your DLine makes the DBs job that much easier. If the lowly Rams can get a pass rush from their front line and we cannot get it at all for whatever reason you want to bring up, isn't that just a little bit concerning? It's not like it only happened yesterday, it has been lacking for years now. A pass rush from your DLine makes even a great QB look average. That's all I am trying to say.

Actually, it's stupid... Why complain about something that isn't costing you games? Our team lost two games because they either couldn't put together offensive drives, fumbled the ball, and continuously lost the battle for field position.

Most of you guys are so committed to your pass rush arguments from the past that you can't objectively look at our performance and see what our real problems are.

BTW, our best pass rusher has been injured most of this season... We've played 5 of the best offenses in the league this year... The 6 teams we've played have been sacked 56 times in 33 games (1.69 sacks/game). In the 27 games we weren't involved in they were 48 sacks in 27 games (1.77 sacks/game). Our opponents have given up 8 hundredths of a sack more in games we haven't played them! Wow... What a difference that would've made to the outcome if we could've just had 8 hundredths of a sack more! Nevermind the fact that we've controlled the time of possession in every game we've played except the first.

This isn't a big deal considering who we have played and how we have done on defense.

We lost to the Giants and the Cardinals due to both the offense and defense. I don't think asking our defense to keep the Rams from converting two third downs and marching all the way into field goal range in the final two minutes is asking too much... Do you?

Look at the statistics... Our defense has been amazing from top to bottom... The pass rush has performed almost as well as every other team against the competition we've faced, but we've also stopped those teams far better than the other opponents. It's as if you'd rather see our defense get more sacks, yet give up more touchdowns...

Look at the statistics... Our defense has been amazing from top to bottom... The pass rush has performed almost as well as every other team against the competition we've faced, but we've also stopped those teams far better than the other opponents. It's as if you'd rather see our defense get more sacks, yet give up more touchdowns...

Uhhh, statistics are the one place where our defense has NOT been amazing from top to bottom. Not in yards per game. Not in points. Not in yards per play. And why do people always do this when it comes to sacks?

First people try to make you choose between sacks and run defense.

And now you have to choose between sacks and touchdowns? WTF?

Shilsu, you need to look more closely at the statistics...

We are 10th in the league defensively in yards/pass attempt. However, we've played the 2nd,3rd,5th,7th, and 9th ranked offense in yards/pass attempt. That means the teams we've played are dominating their other competition, but not us.

Yeah... We're 10th in the league AFTER we played the Rams, who are ranked 25th in that same category.

Meanwhile, here is your original statement:

Smoot Point Really: Look at the statistics... Our defense has been amazing from top to bottom...

Being 10th in the league in that category after playing the Rams... Makes our defense statistically amazing from top to bottom?

Marc Bulger....15/26 136 yards....0 touchdowns.....43 of those yards in his last pass

What more do you want from the defense? I mean seriously are you guys stupid or just dont know football?....i hate to be so blunt but do you have a clue? we lost this game because of the 3 fumbles....plain and simple

I'm just curious but you people do know the other team gets paid as well....and that they are in the NFL.....its not like they're out there looking for their helmets in between series and Bulger is on the bench reading the newspaper.....omg im done ranting now

You need to re-read the original post.

I actually agree with what someone wrote here. I think the DE's are doing an alright job, not nearly as good as I think we'd imagined when Jason Taylor came here, but decent. I think our DT's on the inside of the line are generating enough pressure on the QB. I think if we can get consistency from the inside and outside of the D-line we will see a lot more sacks, because O-line's are starting to key in on players knowing that we have a limited pass rush. However, we do need to address this problem. Even when sending blitzes it was very rare to see Bulger the least bit rushed.

I agree that our defense has been stellar in many areas. I'm not pushing panic buttons. I'm simply pointing out what I believe to be a huge problem that will haunt us all year.

Rewind the game film from all 6 games. When the ball is snapped, how many drop backs does the QB have 4 or more seconds to throw the ball?? I think you'll be surprised to find out that it happens quite a bit. On the long pass play yesterday, Bulger had a long time AND nobody breathing down his neck.

Is it the reason we lost?? Absolutley NOT!! We lost becasue we fumbled the ball away 3 times.

We need to get better pressure on the QB consistently (that's the key word there.... "consistently") to continue our climb to the playoffs. It will make the road much easier for us. We have to put Derrick Anderson on his butt next week early and often.

Let's just look at the QBs we've played:

Eli Manning: 19/35 (53.4%) for 216 yards and 0 TDs... His performance against everyone else? 65/97 (67%) for 816 yards (272 yds/game) and 6 TDs (2 TDs/game)...

Drew Brees: 22/33 (66.7%) for 216 yards and 1 TD... His performance against everyone else? 137/191 (72%) for 1777 yards (355 yds/game) and 11 TDs (2.2 TDs/game)...

Kurt Warner: 16/30 (53.3%) for 192 yards and 2 TDs... His performance against everyone else? 133/183 (73%) for 1516 yards (303 yds/game) and 10 TDs (2 TDs/game)...

Tony Romo sits to pee: 28/47 (59.6%) for 300 yards and 3TDs... His performance against everyone else? 100/153 (65%) for 1389 yards (277.8 yds/game) and 11 TDs (2.2/game)... Remember, we were out in front and they were trying to come from behind. Our only blip on the radar statistically (if you can really call it that).

Donovan McNabb: 17/29 (58.6%) for 196 yards and 0 TD... His performance against everyone else? 118/182 (65%) for 1380 yards (276 yds/game) and 8 TDs (1.6/game)...

Marc Bulger: 15/26 (57.7%) for 136 yards and 0 TD... His performance against everyone else? 52/89 (58.4%) for 519 yards (173 yds/game) and 2 TDs (.5/game)...

Our pass rush is serviceable. Our defense is elite.

Let's just look at the QBs we've played:

Eli Manning: 19/35 (53.4%) for 216 yards and 0 TDs... His performance against everyone else? 65/97 (67%) for 816 yards (272 yds/game) and 6 TDs (2 TDs/game)...

Drew Brees: 22/33 (66.7%) for 216 yards and 1 TD... His performance against everyone else? 137/191 (72%) for 1777 yards (355 yds/game) and 11 TDs (2.2 TDs/game)...

Kurt Warner: 16/30 (53.3%) for 192 yards and 2 TDs... His performance against everyone else? 133/183 (73%) for 1516 yards (303 yds/game) and 10 TDs (2 TDs/game)...

Tony Romo sits to pee: 28/47 (59.6%) for 300 yards and 3TDs... His performance against everyone else? 100/153 (65%) for 1389 yards (277.8 yds/game) and 11 TDs (2.2/game)... Remember, we were out in front and they were trying to come from behind. Our only blip on the radar statistically (if you can really call it that).

Donovan McNabb: 17/29 (58.6%) for 196 yards and 0 TD... His performance against everyone else? 118/182 (65%) for 1380 yards (276 yds/game) and 8 TDs (1.6/game)...

Marc Bulger: 15/26 (57.7%) for 136 yards and 0 TD... His performance against everyone else? 52/89 (58.4%) for 519 yards (173 yds/game) and 2 TDs (.5/game)...

Our pass rush is serviceable. Our defense is elite.

:doh: Just because you say it doesn't make it so. An elite defense can carry the team. If our offense had just one less score each game, are you going to be saying our defense was elite in any of those games?

And yes I did take into account who we played. But I'm not the one who made the bold statement that we are statistically amazing from top to bottom. You are.

Yea, we need a pass rush. But, you seriously can't expect to draft a DE and have him make plays in his 1st year.

And this sentiment right here is why we haven't spent a high pick on a Dlineman since 1997.

No one is saying you have to draft lineman year in and year out. But good teams don't ignore them in the draft decades at a time either.

:2cents:

Archived